Should I buy a mkI at this point?

Johnkenn

Inspired
Yeah, yeah…I sold my mkiii a while back. I think I’ve learned my lesson…Got an offer of $1400 from a friend and don’t think I can pass that up…

My question is - is this thing gonna be supported for a while? I mean - are we going to start getting updates that won’t work on a mki? I don’t need the extra preset room and I don’t do a ton of complex pitch stuff, etc.

Even if you never got another update you still have the most powerful gear ever made up until right now. You can accomplish your musical goals.
Very true. The new spring algos got me all hot and bothered…now…for the Leslie…

I would assume a mki still has more computing power than an FM3 turbo? Honestly, that will fill all my needs, but the thought of reading about new FW here and then having to wait for it to show up on the FM3 might break me.

I would assume a mki still has more computing power than an FM3 turbo? Honestly, that will fill all my needs, but the thought of reading about new FW here and then having to wait for it to show up on the FM3 might break me.
You assume correctly. The Mk1 would blow the FM3 Turbo away.

There was talk about the MKI not having enough storage or memory for the ultra res cabs and IIRC they weren’t to be included in the MKI until they came up with a solution. I may be completely wrong about this but this is how I remember it. So, it is completely feasible there will be an EOL before the MKII or feature set not available that will become available to the MKII. Still, the MKI is equal in every way but storage and I think some multi color splash on the front panel lighting, I dont really know but they’re basically the same thing TODAY. For my money, buy with confidence. I bet it will be relevant for a few years to come still.

I have to admit I’m super hungry for the gapless switching to come to the FM9. THAT’S where I need it, not at all on the AXEFXIII and I have all 3 of them (III, FM9 and an FM3). I gig weekly and really would like for this to come sooner rather than later, but those are the breaks. Firmware here traditionally trickles down from the flagship. The alternative is the recent Eventide fiasco where users were pretty upset over the H90 getting Algorithms the H9000 did not yet receive. The H90 is a 900 dollar pedal and the H9000 is 8 grand. I’m not saying if that is right or wrong, but it’s just a different way they do things there. So, I guess pick your poison. The only way to really assure you are on the cutting edge:

BUY 3 OF EVERYTHING.

There was talk about the MKI not having enough storage or memory for the ultra res cabs and IIRC they weren’t to be included in the MKI until they came up with a solution. I may be completely wrong about this but this is how I remember it. So, it is completely feasible there will be an EOL before the MKII or feature set not available that will become available to the MKII. Still, the MKI is equal in every way but storage and I think some multi color splash on the front panel lighting, I dont really know but they’re basically the same thing TODAY. For my money, buy with confidence. I bet it will be relevant for a few years to come still.

The Mk I doesn't have enough storage for "User"-type cabs. It can store them temporarily though…
The original Axe-Fx III has less non-volatile memory and therefore does not have the necessary resources to store the IRs. The Scratchpad bank supports FullRes IRs but the data will be lost when the unit is powered off.

I can't imagine Fractal not supporting the original FM3, FM9 or FX3 throughout the entire run of this generation's modelers. The "Turbo" units gained more CPU but it isn't enough to orphan the older versions.

Axe-Fx III, FM9 and FM3 in the Wiki covers the differences between each increment of the units.

Does a full 25% reach the preset? Will my 80% CPU presets now be 60%, a full 25% less?
Obviously not, because think about the math you just did there. If a future Super-Turbo model doubled the processing power (a gain of 100%) your 80% preset wouldn't drop to 0% on the super-Turbo.

What you should have asked is: Does the CPU gain of 25% (5/4 that of the non-Turbo) translate to 4/5 the CPU usage, or 64% (for what originally used 80%). The answer to that is probably yeah, pretty much.

Last edited:
The Mk I doesn't have enough storage for "User"-type cabs. It can store them temporarily though…

I can't imagine Fractal not supporting the original FM3, FM9 or FX3 throughout the entire run of this generation's modelers. The "Turbo" units gained more CPU but it isn't enough to orphan the older versions.

Axe-Fx III, FM9 and FM3 in the Wiki covers the differences between each increment of the units.
I remember the ultra res gobbling up a good amount of CPU on my OG III. So I guess if someone was hellbent on incorporating them into complex chains, the turbo would be needed. I shied away from them because I didnt hear the benefit but now dynacabs blows everything out of the water for me.

I know it’ll probably never happen, but in a perfect world we would be able to customize firmware to load what we intend to use. Never going to use the phaser or flanger? Load more ultra res if you want. Using the III only as an FX unit for your amp? Don’t load any amps or cabs and go nuts with more FX blocks. Who knows, maybe some day.

The DSP handles a few things other than the currently loaded preset, but to me it feels like a huge boost.
If you want, you can send me a test preset and I will run it and let you know where it comes in.
I’ll export something from the desk and shoot it over via email, thank you. I’m curious.

Back
Top Bottom