Shortest Straw?

SeasonOfPain said:
Ah, now I'm starting to see! I was wondering if you'd tried to simulate the "IIC+ into a Marshall head" thing. What settings did you adjust in the 2 amp blocks to make the USA Lead 2 a "preamp-only" and the JCM a "power amp-only"?

And were the 2 cabs in series or in parallel?

You would not want to run 2 cabinets in series, it would turn to mud. Either in stereo w/ one block or parallel with 2.

Hmm, not bad. Justice was all Boogie though for the most part, and Shortest Straw was actually the Quad into the Strategy 400.

I'm not really getting into the tone much myself. It's a good tone in general, don't get me wrong, but I think it has this unnatural narrowness/compression to the sound that immediately screams "modeler." The original tone is definitely a lot more raw and rough around the edges. To dial it in closer, as odd as this may sound...I think you need to dial "out" some of the tightness. Tight is good, but when it becomes so tight that the sound starts to narrow and lose it's edge, it starts to sound unnatural in the process. To me, too tight and it starts to lose it's life and character and take on what I refer to as a "plastic pick attack" sound on palm mutes.

Again, all just my opinion.

SeasonOfPain said:
I've been trying to follow Flemming Rassmusen's notes on the "Shortest Straw" session from Gearslutz, but it's like interpreting the Dead Sea Scrolls, and I've had little luck tying to match them.
I came across this webpage yesterday: http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html. The page has some kind of interpretation of the Rasmussen's notes (for Mark3). I haven't yet tried them out so I don't know if they are any good.

Back
Top Bottom