Shock mount???

guitarjim

Experienced
New Axe Fx owner question. I need to move from a 4u to 6u rack. Is it recommended to shock mount the Axe?

New Axe Fx owner question. I need to move from a 4u to 6u rack. Is it recommended to shock mount the Axe?

If you have alternating stage hands and techs handling your rack I'd highly recommend a shock mount rack.
If you are the only person handling it I would recommend getting a standard non-shock mount rack, as shock mount is a lot more heavy and more expensive.

I could not stand my shock mount rack. Had to get a super lightweight 6U instead. And it's sooooo much better. Just don't drop it!

if you have to take your rack on a plane, shock rack would seem to make sense...
that is, until you find out how much the rack weighs - even when empty

I went for the superlight one but when I dropped it I decided to go for the shockmount, oh wait! too late :(

Nah I've not dropped it yet :) Going superlight, still going strong. *knocks on wood

^^I have the 4U shock from Audiopile/EWI.

Gig with it, fly with it, have watched it get dropped to no effect.

Last edited:
empty, the 6U is 39lbs.. the 4U is 34lbs
that's almost the luggage weight limit already....
most airline's limits is 44lbs to 50lbs

the Axe = 10lbs
a light poweramp like a GT1000FX = 8lbs

i got a 6U SKB shock mount rack. It arrived I took one look at the size and weight, and ordered a standard 6U rack. It's HUGE!!!! lol. I still have it if someone wants it and wants to pick it up in Norhtern NJ lol. It's very unused.

Is there a reason you need a 6 space rack? I mean if you don't need it why move to something that is pretty cumbersome.

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll roll with the non-shock mounted. The other stuff might be more sensitive, but the only reason to invest in a shock mount rack and put up with the hassle of its size is if the Axe needs that protection.

Sixstring, my future rack is Axe (2u), wireless transmitter (1u), power distribution unit (1u), Axon AX 100 guitar synth (1u), Matrix amp (1u), Patch bay (1u).

i have mine in a 10 space anvil shock mount rack. its heavy and huge but protected and I have a drawer in it as well for other small things and the mfc will velcro into the bottom of the rack when I order it eventually

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll roll with the non-shock mounted. The other stuff might be more sensitive, but the only reason to invest in a shock mount rack and put up with the hassle of its size is if the Axe needs that protection.

Sixstring, my future rack is Axe (2u), wireless transmitter (1u), power distribution unit (1u), Axon AX 100 guitar synth (1u), Matrix amp (1u), Patch bay (1u).

A potential total of 7 spaces, I personally would brake that down in to 2 or 3 racks and simplify it with patch bays to speed up connections.

I have a 4U shock mount.
I dont fly with it, but it rides a lot on bumby roads and gets handled very roughly by my bandmates when loading/unloading for gigs. I doesnt matter if its a bit heavy. It protects my expensive AF2 and is still less to carry than amps and cabs.

empty, the 6U is 39lbs.. the 4U is 34lbs
that's almost the luggage weight limit already....
most airline's limits is 44lbs to 50lbs

the Axe = 10lbs
a light poweramp like a GT1000FX = 8lbs

Mine weighs in at 52. Haven't paid the over limit fee once. Flown with it four times.

Alt. get a deep 4 or 5u rack case with front and rear rails, and mount some devices at the rear. And/or replace the power distr. with a simple 19" power strip.

Mine weighs in at 52. Haven't paid the over limit fee once. Flown with it four times.

you're very close to the limit of being ok at that weight
many airlines will let you off, but several won't

my rack used to be 60lbs..
for a long time it was ok.. flew with it without trouble..
not now though.. been made to pay overweight many times now..

what I'm going for this time is a 4U roto rack
when I fly it'll contain just the poweramp
the Axe will be in my hand luggage so it gets a gentler ride
when I arrive, I'll pop the Axe back into the rack

Back
Top Bottom