Wish Shimmer Reverb

GMGM

Inspired
Is there really not a way to produce a "shimmer reverb" similar to Line 6 Octaverb, BigSky, Blue Sky, and seemingly every other reverb pedal on the market?

I've searched the forum and there are several conversations talking about manipulating some delay parameters within the 'crystals' type patch.

But I don't want the delay aspect of this effect, I just want a straight up shimmer reverb. I'd love to see this added to a future firmware update. I can't be alone, right?

That's in the delay block though.

Can you take the delay out of the equation? If so, how do you have it dialed in?

Maybe add a sound clip of what you are looking for? My shimmer preset has a side chain with muti delay plex shift block going into the reverb block and either using a high cut or filter to cut out the harsh high frequencies...I use an expression pedal to swell it in.

Reverb itself has a delay to it. I'm just confused cause I always though the axe does a great Shimmer.

Any of these videos show it. Something like a nice big wet "hall" reverb patch, that just happens to have an octave overtone. I don't want it coming back on an echo/delay/repeat - I want it generated with the initial reverb.

If you could post a screen shot of you settings, I'd love to give it a try. But I haven't yet heard a shimmer patch that didn't also include an obvious delay/repeat.

My bad didn't notice this was FX8 territory. Unfortunately I'm not near my setup to get you a screenshot. Hopefully later I'll try and show some settings.

I listened through the one Strymon Bigsky - Shimmer reverb Machine video. Everything I heard sounded doable in the Axe and most likely FX8 too. They also describe the settings in the video. Just try recreating with the Multi Delay plex shift or pitch block and use different reverbs.

1) The first sound in that video seemed very close to my shimmer preset which the shimmer does sound delayed to my ears. Its not instant. Multi dealyPlex shift (octaves 12 and 24 levels 80%) into reverb block.
2) Same shimmer only different pitch setting minor 6th interval. shift 1 octave 5th and shift 2 minor 6. Levels at 20%.
3) I hear mainly detune and reverb. Vid says +10cents and -10 cents in detune and then reverb.
4) Use pitch block for 5th up and 5th down (set mix and settings to taste) and then add reverb.
5)short decay with basic rhythmic crystals. Voice 1 up 1 oct and voice 2 up 2 oct.
....there's more.. the later or last one seemed like it had a filter added in. Would take some time but I'd think you could get there.

Alright, I finally got a chance the other night. I could sort of get closer to a shimmer effect, but it involves setting up a reverb block AND a multi-delay block. At best, it's an approximation that might pass in a somewhat crowded mix. I guess that's better than nothing, right? There are some creative possibilities available here, but Fractal should still make this a reverb option.

This effect is popular enough to warrant some development IMHO.

Do we have an Axe Exchange for FX8 now?

No, sorry, didn't see that---fx8 gets me everytime---old eyes. If you don't get any results I would be happy to send you blocks ( the reverbs and the delays\multi delays\pitchblocks, whatever) from the shimmer presets and at least you can try them and look thru the settings.

I am pretty sure we can share blocks.

Anyone know about that?

It does seem like shimmer should be one of the reverb choices. Even my lowly Digitech iStomp has a shimmer reverb.

1+

I think we really need a dedicated shimmer block now that the FX8 exists as the routing flexibility needed to really nail it isn't there IMO, but the processing horsepower seems to be. The multidelay/pitch shifter shimmers are very much a 'crystal delay' rather than a 'shimmer reverb' to my ears.

Also, I'd really love to bathe in the wondrous take on altered-reverbs the Fractal team could produce. I'm not much good at the sound design really nutting out the component pieces of wacky verbs like the Strymon Cloud and Choir etc, but I bet Team Cliff could blow them out of the water.

+1 though I would bet the answer will be that you can make them yourself... I would love to see an octave verb and reverse verb as well!

Hopefully now that pedals guys are a dedicated contingent of the FAS customer base there will be more resources pushed towards new effects etc.

I'm not hearing any delay at all in this Shimmer reverb example from iaresee http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/shimmer-reverb.79275/). I don't know if the effects chain would be repeatable on the FX8 though. I was able to create a nice Shimmer setting in the AX8 as well. Mine does have delay, but that's separate from the shimmer effect. My example uses three blocks to get it though and I never would have come up with it on my own. It would certainly be nice if there was a separate Shimmer block for those of us who aren't so technical.
-
Austin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom