Sharing Cabs between Axe-Fx II and XL Users (cab.syx vs. cab_XL.syx)

Liquid22

Inspired
Hi there,

I’m wondering, if an Axe-Fx II created Cab can be used in an Axe-Fx II-XL and the other way around?

Like it says in the “Cab-Lab-Getting-Started-Guide” (Page 5):

“SAVE AS FILE: […] two .syx files are saved, one for the Axe-Fx II (Original or Mark II) and one for the XL. (The two models have different SysEx IDs and use different cab numbering systems.) The file in XL format will have “_XL” appended to its name automatically.”

Will there be a compatibility problem, when Cabs are shared between Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx II-XL Users ?

Thanks

You cannot use the same syx file with both units. You have to convert standard IRs to XL format in CabLab, and vice versa. But as your quote from the manual says, when using cablab 2.0 IRs are saved in all three formats. Normal syx, XL syx, and .ir so anyone can use them.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. So that means, the current Cab-sharing-thing might change. I hope we won’t get separated sharing (Axe II vs. XL-Users). Seems like every thing depends on the fact, how many users and/or generous sharers will buy Cab Lab. No matter on which point, somewhere the IR has to be converted to keep the current Sharing-situation alive. We will see how it comes…

CabLab can translate the sysex files to/from one format to the other. At least it is supposed to. So you can load XL sysex files and it will translate those to Axe-II and vice-versa.

I believe Axe-Edit and FractalBot do as well. They all share the same code base.

Cliff,

So if I have some IRs that I want to use on the XL that I've downloaded, but they are for the Axe II, fractal bot and axe edit will convert those over to XL format for me?

Cliff,

So if I have some IRs that I want to use on the XL that I've downloaded, but they are for the Axe II, fractal bot and axe edit will convert those over to XL format for me?

I've had the XL for nearly two weeks. Today I downloaded a new preset patch and both X and Y cab IR's needed for that patch, all made for the Axe-FxII.

I imported the preset patch into Axe-Edit. Then I downloaded and saved the IR's (.syx files, not any XL.syx) into the first two user cab slots using Axe-Manage Cabs which I found inside of Axe-Edit from the Tools menu.

The preset patch works great within the XL unit, and the IR's saved to the patch sound amazing!! I did not do any file converting at all.:)

Last edited:
I've had the XL for nearly two weeks. Today I downloaded a new preset patch and both X and Y cab IR's needed for that patch, all made for the Axe-FxII.

I imported the preset patch into Axe-Edit. Then I downloaded and saved the IR's (.syx files, not any XL.syx) into the first two user cab slots using Axe-Manage Cabs which I found inside of Axe-Edit from the Tools menu.

The preset patch works great within the XL unit, and the IR's saved to the patch sound amazing!! I did not do any file converting at all.:)

Thanks Wild Bill! I will def have to try this over the weekend. I haven't attempted to do it yet because I'm new to all of the FAS stuff and didn't want to screw something up lol

I couldn`t import an XL preset to my Axe Fx II, either using cab lab, fractal bot, or axe edit. The preset I`m trying to import was created by another person, on an XL running Firmware 17, and my axe fx II is running FW 17 too.

But, I had no success on this task and tried several ways to do it.

Do anyone know how to do this or if it is really possible at all?

Thank you!

I couldn`t import an XL preset to my Axe Fx II, either using cab lab, fractal bot, or axe edit. The preset I`m trying to import was created by another person, on an XL running Firmware 17, and my axe fx II is running FW 17 too.

But, I had no success on this task and tried several ways to do it.

Do anyone know how to do this or if it is really possible at all?

Thank you!
You cannot load an XL preset on a II. They are talking about user cab IRs.

Back
Top Bottom