Share the oldest recording that you have

Piing

Axe-Master
Inspired by this post from @Justincase , I have rescued the oldest recording that I could find.

I think it is from 1989. Recorded with this gear:

Charvel Model 6 Fire Crackle.
Here it is, with my missed Peluso when he was less than one year old.
At this pic you can see the Art SGX-2000, but this recording is older. I still didn't have it
I sold that Charvel to buy a RG550LTD, which I still keep because it is a lucky piece of wood - better than the several JEMs , J-Customs, and JS2450 that I have owned and sold.
Peluso_00.jpg

Zoom 9002
It didn't sound too bad, does it? Or was it the natural Tape Distortion? :D
Zoom 9002.jpg

Yamaha MT8X 8-track tape recorder
I have to admit that I was more proactive creating music before the DAW era, when there were only tapes. Less procrastination was permitted
Yamaha MT8X.jpg

Yamaha RX5 Drum Machine
The drums and the "robotic" bass comes from here.
At the tape I recorded one track with a Sync signal (a high-pitch noise) that allows to trigger the machine sequence from the tape

yamaha_rx5.jpg

Let's put away our sense of shame, and share the oldest recording that you can find :)

Last edited:
That's awesome. A medley of 80s inspired riffs put together in a melodic fashion. Crazy how we evolve as players along with our tastes. Young players today have so much information and GREAT gear at their disposal. Stuff that we could only dream of. I remember as a kid grocery shopping with my mom and wanting the guitar magazines on the rack sooo badly. Of course she would never buy them for me because we were quite poor at the time. That didn't stop me though...I'd wait until nobody was looking I'd tear out a page or two of tabs. Kids have it so much better in that regard today. There is a crazy amount of free info on the internet that even the poorest kids like I was don't have to resort to petty theft to learn. Life is a trip.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome. A medley of 80s inspired riffs put together in a melodic fashion. Crazy how we evolve as players along with our tastes. Young players today have so much information and GREAT gear at their disposal. Stuff that we could only dream of. I remember as a kid grocery shopping with my mom and wanting the guitar magazines on the rack sooo badly. Of course she would never buy them for me because we were quite poor at the time. That didn't stop me though...I'd wait until nobody was looking I'd tear out a page or two of tabs. Kids have it so much better in that regard today. There is a crazy amount of free info on the internet that even the poorest kids like I was don't have to resort to petty theft to learn. Life is a trip.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

A considerable part of that inspiration came from this VHS tape that I borrowed from a friend

1624972499998.jpeg

Oh boy….I’ll have to wait until I get home, but my best friend from high school just found all his old 8MM tapes of us jamming in his basement when we were 15-18. Posting these is going to be a massive hit to my ego as I was really fucking terrible. But not terrible in the “Oh, this dude can’t play.”, sense, more of, “Wow, this dude is clearly capable of playing but he has no fucking ear whatsoever and how does he not realize that whenever he’s not playing a bunch of 16th notes, EVERY note he hits is out of key?!?”

I earned the nickname Eddie Van Tonedeaf back then and I deserved it.

I’ll post a few highlights later tonight. It’ll be good for my humility. Even better; it’s video, so you can SEE me acting like a dumbass, too!

Inspired by this post from @Justincase , I have rescued the oldest recording that I could find.

I think it is from 1989. Recorded with this gear:

Charvel Model 6 Fire Crackle.
Here it is, with my missed Peluso when he was less than one year old.
At this pic you can see the Art SGX-2000, but this recording is older. I still didn't have it
View attachment 85499

Zoom 9002
It didn't sound so bad, does it? Or was it the natural Tape Distortion? :D
View attachment 85501

Yamaha MT8X 8-track tape recorder
I have to admit that I was more proactive creating music before the DAW era, when there were only tapes. Less procrastination was permitted
View attachment 85502

Yamaha RX5 Drum Machine
The drums and the "robotic" bass comes from here.
At the tape I recorded one track with a Sync signal (a high-pitch noise) that allows to trigger the machine sequence from the tape

View attachment 85503

Let's put away our sense of shame, and share the oldest recording that you can find :)

For being 1989 and using that gear, man, that sounds pretty damn good!

Wow, what a cool thread idea! :)

How are you guys converting tape to digital? Am I gonna have to dig
out my cassette player and find a way to route it onto a DAW via RCA?

Wow, what a cool thread idea! :)

How are you guys converting tape to digital? Am I gonna have to dig
out my cassette player and find a way to route it onto a DAW via RCA?
Ha...that's a funny story. I got my first windows computer in 2000. Aux cables weren't readily available back then so I cut and spliced cables from two sets of headphones. Then just used basic windows sound recorder to save a wave and convert to mp3 using the aux jack. Wish I still had all those tapes...lots of great ideas on them.

Last edited:
That sounds great for 1989, @Piing . Nice playing. :)

I was more productive with a 4 track (which I could rent for a
weekend from the music store for like $30) than I am now. Of
course it helped not having a home and kids and work and all
that jazz, too. :)

Pretty sure my first recordings are from 1988-89. We booked time
in a studio and did a 4 song demo that I will see if I can dig up.

God, I wish i had those recordings. They were from like 16 years ago, plugging a DS-1 into an old yamaha preamp into the line-in port of an iMac DV. No speaker sim or anything. The funny/sad thing is I'm still trying to get around to releasing final versions of those same songs.

This was my first recording sophomore year in college - I had found Cakewalk Studio Pro or something in the discount rack at Hastings and purchased it. I don't think I even had an audio interface and have no recollection how I plugged the bass and electric guitar in. I think I had a cheap 1/8" non powered computer microphone for the acoustic. I had a friend freshman year who had installed multiple sound cards in his pc to record multitrack drums etc. That was my inspiration :)

Man, there's some truth to that. I bought a Tascam Porta 03 when I was 12 years old (1994), rode my bike to the music store with money from mowing lawns, and the store wouldn't sell it to me without calling my mom to make sure she knew what I was doing :grinning: I eventually got the same MT8X you had, then a Roland VS880, then a VS1880.

All that time I was still at my parents' house and I had a room in the basement where all my stuff was always set up - drums were mic'd, amp was ready to go, levels were all figured out...I would come home from school or work with an idea and it was just hit 'record' and go. And like you said, you HAD to go. Punching in was a chore. You really had a reason to try and nail that take, and you also had a reason to keep some imperfections if you didn't quite get it.

That's the biggest thing I take away from my old recordings...polished precision? Not at all, but I definitely "went for" things more. Ambitious me 15-20 years ago attempted stuff I'd never think of trying today.

Now I've got a pretty sweet DAW setup, excellent mics, excellent preamps, Fractal stuff...and nowhere near the creative energy I once had. Everything I do now sounds great and I do a lot of session work, with some pretty high-level folks, and I'm slowly creeping towards finishing a solo album and my band's next record. But I do miss the days of 'hit and commit' from my old basement room.

That being said, I did recently find a cassette with a bunch of my stuff from that time, but I have no cassette player :( I'll find or borrow one soon as I truly have no idea what's on there...

Here's one that would've been from early '00s but I definitely have things that predate this by 10 years somewhere.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7079236

Man, there's some truth to that. I bought a Tascam Porta 03 when I was 12 years old (1994), rode my bike to the music store with money from mowing lawns, and the store wouldn't sell it to me without calling my mom to make sure she knew what I was doing :grinning: I eventually got the same MT8X you had, then a Roland VS880, then a VS1880.

All that time I was still at my parents' house and I had a room in the basement where all my stuff was always set up - drums were mic'd, amp was ready to go, levels were all figured out...I would come home from school or work with an idea and it was just hit 'record' and go. And like you said, you HAD to go. Punching in was a chore. You really had a reason to try and nail that take, and you also had a reason to keep some imperfections if you didn't quite get it.

That's the biggest thing I take away from my old recordings...polished precision? Not at all, but I definitely "went for" things more. Ambitious me 15-20 years ago attempted stuff I'd never think of trying today.

Now I've got a pretty sweet DAW setup, excellent mics, excellent preamps, Fractal stuff...and nowhere near the creative energy I once had. Everything I do now sounds great and I do a lot of session work, with some pretty high-level folks, and I'm slowly creeping towards finishing a solo album and my band's next record. But I do miss the days of 'hit and commit' from my old basement room.

That being said, I did recently find a cassette with a bunch of my stuff from that time, but I have no cassette player :( I'll find or borrow one soon as I truly have no idea what's on there...

Here's one that would've been from early '00s but I definitely have things that predate this by 10 years somewhere.

That's great. Almost has a surf vibe to it.
Totally with you on the creative energy thing....I blame it on quitting drugs and declining testosterone. Lol

This was my first recording sophomore year in college - I had found Cakewalk Studio Pro or something in the discount rack at Hastings and purchased it. I don't think I even had an audio interface and have no recollection how I plugged the bass and electric guitar in. I think I had a cheap 1/8" non powered computer microphone for the acoustic. I had a friend freshman year who had installed multiple sound cards in his pc to record multitrack drums etc. That was my inspiration :)

Man that's actually a really decent acoustic sound. I like the natural harmonics too.

What the Russian-Surf-Country is that??

Not sure I have ever heard anything quite like that. Very cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom