Setting up Filter blocks as Boosts - Cool and Useful Tips

Re: Setting up Filter blocks as Boosts - Cool and Useful Tip

Matman said:
Hi guys. I set up a GLOBAL boost which works for all presets. Here's how:

Set an IA SWITCH to "NONE"
Set its CC# to that of OUT1 VOLUME
Set the OFF value to "111" (the unboosted level)
Set the OFF value to "127" (the boosted level)

Voila. Instant global boost.

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

I have a question about this: I've got my MFC (quite happy :) ). I'm trying to set up global boost on IA switch 11. Under 5.1 in manual, I set IA 11 to "none". Simple enough. Then, under 5.2.1, I set IA 11 to CC# 011 (Out1 volume). Now, where exactly (in what parameter) do I set the Off (111) and On (127) values for this command?

KF

yek said:
Matman said:

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

Wow, clever! Saves a Filter block.
Tried it and it works (with a Gordius controller).

M@: 127 must be the "ON" level I guess.
Midi values range from 0 to 127. 127 is max.
And if the signal goes out Output2 too, you need to add a 2nd CC for Out2.
Or set both outputs to correspond to the same CC in the [I/O][CTRL] menu.

Must have been really sleepy last night... I thought there was only one page to this thread...

Come to think of it, am I really awake now? How can I tell?

Dutch said:
Must have been really sleepy last night... I thought there was only one page to this thread...

Come to think of it, am I really awake now? How can I tell?

Is Angelina Jolie rubbing your back while you're typing? You're asleep.

You've never met my wife, have you?

And you weren't kidding about that Jolie fetish you have either, were you?

I use this method too instead of drive blocks. I find that whenever I use a drive block (usually for tone colouration) I have hell trying to get the level balanced with the bypassed sound. Instead I get what I want by sticking a filter in front and pushing a few dBs of extra gain. Sometimes I use a filter block to reduce the amount of gain going into the amp as well.

i use Graphic eq to do this , because i can add some frequencies (often middle) to give more "bite"

Thanks Matt for that global boost post!!!! It does what I need and I don't need to put a filter in all my patches!!! :D I'm running my boost levels at 108 off to 127 on. There is a more noticeable boost that way. Great tip!!!!

Matman said:

Can this be done using an expression pedal instead of a IA switch?

Stringtheorist said:
Matman said:

Can this be done using an expression pedal instead of a IA switch?

With the MFC-101, certainly yes.

Just did exactly this yesterday.

I'm going to try the global boost idea...sounds great. But, I tried the Filter as a boost and every time I kick it in, it gives me extra juice for my leads, but when I turn it off, the output to the FOH dies. I am running output 1 to the FOH stereo, and output 2 to a 2x12 cab in stereo...I put the cab simulation last, then the filter for lead boost right before that, then the efx loop before that. Is there a problem with the sequence of my blocks that is causing this? Seems like that is the problem to me, but a verification and explanation would be great...still learning this thing.

hungwon said:
I'm going to try the global boost idea...sounds great. But, I tried the Filter as a boost and every time I kick it in, it gives me extra juice for my leads, but when I turn it off, the output to the FOH dies. I am running output 1 to the FOH stereo, and output 2 to a 2x12 cab in stereo...I put the cab simulation last, then the filter for lead boost right before that, then the efx loop before that. Is there a problem with the sequence of my blocks that is causing this? Seems like that is the problem to me, but a verification and explanation would be great...still learning this thing.

To use the trick with both outputs you need to set two CCs, one for Out1 and one for Out2.
Or: use the same CC for Out1 and 2.

:!: :idea: :!:

I've got some really cool new ideas that I'm trying out using filters in all sorts of ways as boosts both pre and post amp block.

I'll do a gig and then report back. If this works out, it'll totally change up both my approach and preset template leading to a massive change - for the better - in more flexible and stackable gain boost levels.

I'm excited. :cool:

You're in an experimental phase. That's good, we all benefit. :)

yek said:
You're in an experimental phase. That's good, we all benefit. :)

I have a new project coming up and have been in preparation for it; that is what sparks this sort of thing for me.

I use an expression pedal with the filter block for boost. Because the filter gives you a 20 dB boost or cut you have to do a little math. If you want it for pure boost, the Start has to be 50%. Then if you want, say 4 db boost, the End is set at 60%. The same expression pedal also increases the mix level on delay for certain patches.
I like using a pedal instead of a switch for two reasons: I'm sure it's engaged, and it gives a natural fade in and release that you can't get by just activating a CC.

KG

Matman said:

I'd like to try this instead of having to put a filter or similar at the end of the block. Can I save the preset with the boost on or off (eg a lead patch on & a clean patch off)?
Thanks, Paul

aircadet said:
Matman said:

I'd like to try this instead of having to put a filter or similar at the end of the block. Can I save the preset with the boost on or off (eg a lead patch on & a clean patch off)?
Thanks, Paul

Yes you can, just save the lead patch with the dedicated IA-switch ON and your rhythm patch with the IA-switch OFF

voes said:
aircadet said:
Matman said:

Thanks, Paul

Yes you can, just save the lead patch with the dedicated IA-switch ON and your rhythm patch with the IA-switch OFF

thanks Voes.

I like what the Tape Drive did at the end of the signal chain in all of my testing of current presets. I do want to try it post cab / pre time based stuff to see if it makes a difference (for my uses).
I could see a clean patch and using one drive upfront. I've also tested a little with using a NULL FILTER approach (I guess all I'm doing is boosting the signal being fed into the amp?) and that has added a lot, but it does boost the volume a lot on semi-dirty patches (not sure if there is a control on the filter I should be tweaking to be able to adjust the volume levels accordingly).
So, between using the Tape Drive in the back, some creative use of filters and of course your volume/tone controls it's possible to get a lot of mileage out of one patch -- of course the Standard can hold 384 patches :D
I have so much yet to try... I haven't even tested the Bassman patch on the AxeFX.

Here's a little taste of what's to come:

Instead of the "Null" filter type, try a "Peaking" centered around 1250Hz @ a 0.75Q at +3db. I have Filter3 (Ultra only) set up this way pre amp block.

Another STACKABLE idea is to use the High Frequency Shelving type in the filter block; try Filter1 as a 158Hz @ a 1.20 Q at +2db AND Filter2 as a 120Hz @ 1.20Q +2db filter - both before your amp block. Now stack up Drive1 (as the tape drive) with Filter1 & Filter2. Try different variations of them.

For a solo boost, try this: Filter4 (Ultra Only) at 1500Hz @ a 0.75Q at +3db and put this block AFTER your amp/cab.

And that's why I am happy I have an Ultra, because once you start stacking/mixing/matching these across most any preset *AND* add your guitar's volume knob and picking dynamics... you have almost endless shades of making things overdrive a bit more (or less) and create all sorts of dynamic fun.

Not gig tested yet, but that's how I'm rolling right now.

If you've got the tools, and find ways to use them... have at it!!

If you have Standard, I'd try maybe one filter before and one after your amp/cab blocks; just see what you like. The post amp one is awesome, though I need to check it live. It's perceived as a perfect lead 'bump' without all the lowend mud and high end hash that a null filter (aka "across the board BOOST") adds. Also allows you to pop up your levels without clipping your physical outputs.

Having fun yet? I am. :D

Back
Top Bottom