Setting up and Using the MFC-101 with the Axe-Fx III

I suspect I'll end up using a couple presets to do what I could do with one just to keep the workflow simpler. I don't need all 8 scenes in any given song... But it's nice that I can :)

I'm not looking forward to how daunting this will be with the MFC. I won't know until I start trying to program it.

Since I only use 5 scenes, I'll probably just get by with assigning IA's and doing the tap-dance.
5 scenes is actually fairly easy if you link the switches... I can get by with I/As not showing their actual state for now, but when I do start up with the band again that would be a bit more challenging.

Some other options for scene control:

Set up to 8 non-linked IAs as auto-off scene selectors. (This won't provide LED indication of current scene.)

Link up to 5 IAs and have lesser-used remaining scenes (or ones where you typically switch from and return to the "on" scene in question) as the "off" command for any/all. Disable auto-sending of off commands when triggering different switch in group..

Configure up to 8 presets in a bank to only select scenes, no program change. You'll have LED indication of scene but no LED indicating the original preset switch once a scene switch is used. If you use songs/sets with the same 8 MFC presets for scene selection in each song, this will leave more presets free for actual PCs.

I’m actually pretty stoked now. I felt really behind the times not utilizing scenes or x/y at all. But since I never did, this is looking pretty simple for my setup. Bottom 2 rows are presets, and the rest are just IA’s for Drives, Delays, Pitch, Phase, and an EQ block for boost. I use 40 presets, so getting the names and initial IA states programmed in will take a little bit, but not nearly as long as it will to get the Axe Fx III set up. And if I can use the same CC#’s, it will be even quicker, especially using MFC-Edit. I also never used the tuner on the MFC, or at least I rarely did. Yay me, for once.

I am still looking forward to the new FC though. I’m sure I can get a much slicker workflow going once I see what it can all do.

Some other options for scene control:

Set up to 8 non-linked IAs as auto-off scene selectors. (This won't provide LED indication of current scene.)

Link up to 5 IAs and have lesser-used remaining scenes (or ones where you typically switch from and return to the "on" scene in question) as the "off" command for any/all. Disable auto-sending of off commands when triggering different switch in group..

Configure up to 8 presets in a bank to only select scenes, no program change. You'll have LED indication of scene but no LED indicating the original preset switch once a scene switch is used. If you use songs/sets with the same 8 MFC presets for scene selection in each song, this will leave more presets free for actual PCs.
I like the last option... Could you elaborate on the settings for that?

I suppose I could also use Preset Mapping (assuming that still exists?) on the Axe Fx III to get the same thing?

I like the last option... Could you elaborate on the settings for that?

I suppose I could also use Preset Mapping (assuming that still exists?) on the Axe Fx III to get the same thing?

You'd want to disable the Axe channel PC on those presets and either configure a custom message to select a scene or use the internal CCs, e.g. set 8 all to scene select CC# w/ different values for "on" and have nothing for the "off" state. Then set only one on per preset.

Mapping on the Axe-FX could work but I don't know how many mapping slots there are. If it doesn't support bank select and you only get 128 entries (like the Axe II) you could run out after 16 presets x 8 scenes.

You'd want to disable the Axe channel PC on those presets and either configure a custom message to select a scene or use the internal CCs, e.g. set 8 all to scene select CC# w/ different values for "on" and have nothing for the "off" state. Then set only one on per preset.

Mapping on the Axe-FX could work but I don't know how many mapping slots there are. If it doesn't support bank select and you only get 128 entries (like the Axe II) you could run out after 16 presets x 8 scenes.
Thanks...

I confirmed that mapping is still possible on the Axe Fx III. In the short term, I could survive with only 1 or 2 presets for gigging if I have all 8 scenes. I normally use only 1 for most gigs... But I have a number that I select from for that gig depending on what I'm feeling.

Good info here. I sold my MFC MK III along with my XL to fund the III but just purchased a used MFC MK II for a great price from the Forum Classifieds to use with the III which I can hopefully get “soon”. ;) Currently with my AX8 I have about 24 presets I use live with 5-6 scenes each. Hoping I can do something similar with the III and a MFC via MIDI. This appears to be doable from what I skimmed through in this thread. Am I correct on this?

Good info here. I sold my MFC MK III along with my XL to fund the III but just purchased a used MFC MK II for a great price from the Forum Classifieds to use with the III which I can hopefully get “soon”. ;) Currently with my AX8 I have about 24 presets I use live with 5-6 scenes each. Hoping I can do something similar with the III and a MFC via MIDI. This appears to be doable from what I skimmed through in this thread. Am I correct on this?
Do you just use scenes? If you don't do any IA switching and just use scenes, and can keep it to 5 scenes only then you're golden.

Do you just use scenes? If you don't do any IA switching and just use scenes, and can keep it to 5 scenes only then you're golden.
Awesome. I just use scenes. I do have some IA switches setup in some presets but mainly as just a convenience. Nothing that is necessary so I can ditch them for the time being. Now, just need to get that email invite. 8:43 am central and counting down the invite times.

If you configure MFC presets (not IAs) as scene selectors you could save each with IA states matching the Axe-FX state.

Also, the III only accepts 5 pin midi cables!:( I really think leaving out phantom power support is a real oversight & somewhat a slap in the face of everyone that has an MFC or any other midi controller that supports phantom power. No one needs all the extra cables & an extension cord running across the stage!

Use this:
https://www.thomann.de/nl/rocktron_7pin_midikabel.htm

11374994_800.jpg

I'm not sure if the MFC-101 works with the Axe III? Are there any disadvantages/advantages between the MFC-101 and the FC-12?

Without knowing jack about the FC-12 my initial impression is hmmmm? 12 switches vs MFC's 21 switches. I just play in my home studio and having two FC-12's daisy-chained isn't realistic with my limited floor space.

Right now my MFC is powered by 9vdc DC Brick in my pedal board, one MIDI cable to my Axe.
Contemplating buying the Axe III, nothing wrong with my AxeFx II mk1, just curious how much this technology is going to bloom over the coming years?

I'm not sure if the MFC-101 works with the Axe III? Are there any disadvantages/advantages between the MFC-101 and the FC-12?

Without knowing jack about the FC-12 my initial impression is hmmmm? 12 switches vs MFC's 21 switches. I just play in my home studio and having two FC-12's daisy-chained isn't realistic with my limited floor space.

Right now my MFC is powered by 9vdc DC Brick in my pedal board, one MIDI cable to my Axe.
Contemplating buying the Axe III, nothing wrong with my AxeFx II mk1, just curious how much this technology is going to bloom over the coming years?
it's been mentioned many times now that the MFC-101 memory is full and will not be updated to work in a synchronized manner with the Axe-Fx III. you can use the MFC-101 as a generic midi controller, programed manually without 2-way communication. this thread is exactly about that.

Back
Top Bottom