Setting up and Using the MFC-101 with the Axe-Fx III

it's been mentioned many times now that the MFC-101 memory is full and will not be updated to work in a synchronized manner with the Axe-Fx III. you can use the MFC-101 as a generic midi controller, programed manually without 2-way communication. this thread is exactly about that.

They could conceivably write code for the MFC that would allow it to only work with the III. I would gladly pay for an update like that!

They could conceivably write code for the MFC that would allow it to only work with the III. I would gladly pay for an update like that!
This has been discussed a lot. MFC works great with the Axe2 generation. Many are out there, many will be resold. We’re moving forward with the new gear.

So after buying an Original MKI, 2 XL's & an MFC, their attitude is too bad, so sad, pony up MORE money to replace something that could EASILY be updated to work on the III even though they still sell the MFC for full price??? There was also talk about a discount on MFC Edit to help out all the programming required to make it sort of work but no sign of that materializing yet either.

So after buying an Original MKI, 2 XL's & an MFC, their attitude is too bad, so sad, pony up MORE money to replace something that could EASILY be updated to work on the III???
Glad to know its easy. Let us know when you finish writing the code. I would imagine you'd make some coin on it.

Glad to know its easy. Let us know when you finish writing the code. I would imagine you'd make some coin on it.
You really think it would be hard for Fractal to do this????? I also said I would GLADLY PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!
Also, if I could write code, they would have yet another major competitor & I would NOT do this to my long time customers!

You really think it would be hard for Fractal to do this????? I also said I would GLADLY PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!
I don't know the specifics in this case, but I do write code for a living, and it gets under my skin when people who don't know how something works expect things to be easy, as if there is some magic that can be done.

The point is, the MFC was built as a controller that had to be programmed independently of the earlier units and works based on standard MIDI protocols. It works fine sending MIDI to the new unit, just have to,set it up and it won't receive info back to update LEDs and display. The new units do, but they don't work via standard MIDI. All of brains and logic is handled by the Axe-FX III, so you don't need to manage things at the foot controller. This leads me to believe that reprogramming the MFC is not as trivial as some would assume

So after buying an Original MKI, 2 XL's & an MFC, their attitude is too bad, so sad, pony up MORE money to replace something that could EASILY be updated to work on the III even though they still sell the MFC for full price???
Fractal has stated that it is neither easy nor even feasible.

I don't know the specifics in this case, but I do write code for a living, and it gets under my skin when people who don't know how something works expect things to be easy, as if there is some magic that can be done.

The point is, the MFC was built as a controller that had to be programmed independently of the earlier units and works based on standard MIDI protocols. It works fine sending MIDI to the new unit, just have to,set it up and it won't receive info back to update LEDs and display. The new units do, but they don't work via standard MIDI. All of brains and logic is handled by the Axe-FX III, so you don't need to manage things at the foot controller. This leads me to believe that reprogramming the MFC is not as trivial as some would assume

Given what Fractal has accomplished, I seriously don't think it would be too hard for them to turn the MFC into a "dummy terminal" which is how the new controllers were described. The midi coding in now in the midi block of the III. It was even said it could be done but it would require resources to do it. Fine, get the new controllers out & on the market, then offer a paid update to the MFC to make it fully compatible.

Thanks Chris, this helps.
No prob. I know several people with an MFC have posted how they set it up with their 3, but nothing too comprehensive yet. Apparently MFC-EDIT has been updated to make it “support” the III but I haven’t found any details on it yet.

Given what Fractal has accomplished, I seriously don't think it would be too hard for them to turn the MFC into a "dummy terminal" which is how the new controllers were described. The midi coding in now in the midi block of the III. It was even said it could be done but it would require resources to do it. Fine, get the new controllers out & on the market, then offer a paid update to the MFC to make it fully compatible.
You don't think so? But you don't know so...

The new FCs work only with FASLink 2, which may be what allows them to operate as "dumb" controllers, and also quite possibly requires hardware changes that would need to be made to the MFC to be compatible.

It's very easy to say "it should be easy" but that doesn't make it true.

You don't think so? But you don't know so...

The new FCs work only with FASLink 2, which may be what allows them to operate as "dumb" controllers, and also quite possibly requires hardware changes that would need to be made to the MFC to be compatible.

It's very easy to say "it should be easy" but that doesn't make it true.

That's why I said I think, not I know! It doesn't need to run on Faslink II because the III is midi compatible. Besides, I saw a post that said it was doable but that they did not want to put resources on it now. Fine. I can wait until they have the FC's out the door. And again, I said I would be glad to pay for such an update. No entitlement or expecting the world for free.

Haven't been on the forum for quite a while, and it looks like my invite to buy an AE3 is coming up shortly. Up until I started reading this thread, I assumed that the existing MFC-101 would work with the AE3 similarly to the way it works with the AE2....apparently, I was wrong.

I'm not a MIDI programming expert, I use my rig mostly to play live, and I certainly don;t have time for another "science project". After reading this thread, I'm seriously debating whether or not I should even upgrade to the AE3. Without getting into a ridiculous level of detail, could one of you more learned types let me know if, with some programming, I can do the following with the AE3/MFC101 combination:

1) Set up a patch and an alternate patch on a single switch.
2) Power the MFC directly from the AE3
3) Connect two expression controllers to the MFC and use them to control patch blocks (I currently use one pedal to control a volume block and the other to control the speed of a rotary block).
4) Engage or bypass individual blocks with the IA switches that are not dedicated to patch selection.
5) See the patch selection and tuner display on the MFC-101 display.
6) I don't currently use scenes.

If not, will the yet-to-be-released new foot controller allow me to do the stuff listed above?

Apologies in advance if this info has been covered before....but like I said, I haven't been on the forum for a while and I'm not technically inclined.

Last edited:
That's why I said I think, not I know! It doesn't need to run on Faslink II because the III is midi compatible. Besides, I saw a post that said it was doable but that they did not want to put resources on it now. Fine. I can wait until they have the FC's out the door. And again, I said I would be glad to pay for such an update. No entitlement or expecting the world for free.
You are assuming that the protocol for the dumb controller can run over midi so you don't know that it doesn't need FASLink 2...

Anyway, I feel your pain... I've got an MFC mkIII and I'm not thrilled I have to shell out more money for a new controller, but such is the price of progress.

I'm sure Fractal could update the MFC firmware to support the III only, whether as a dumb controller or not (I suspect not). But that requires work and resources, and they are a small company.

Haven't been on the forum for quite a while, and it looks like my invite to buy an AE3 is coming up shortly. Up until I started reading this thread, I assumed that the existing MFC-101 would work with the AE3 similarly to the way it works with the AE2....apparently, I was wrong.

I'm not a MIDI programming expert, I use my rig mostly to play live, and I certainly don;t have time for another "science project". After reading this thread, I'm seriously debating whether or not I should even upgrade to the AE3. Without getting into a ridiculous level of detail, could one of you more learned types let me know if, with some programming, I can do the following with the AE3/MFC101 combination:

1) Set up a patch and an alternate patch on a single switch.

I don't think so...

2) Power the MFC directly from the AE3

No phantom power for midi

3) Connect two expression controllers to the MFC and use them to control patch blocks (I currently use one pedal to control a volume block and the other to control the speed of a rotary block).

Yes

4) Engage or bypass individual blocks with the IA switches that are not dedicated to patch selection.

Yes - you would need to program IA initial states to match the preset. If you used scenes, that would become really hard

5) See the patch selection and tuner display on the MFC-101 display.

You can program preset names into the MFC, but it cannot "know" them from the Axe Fx. You cannot display the tuner

If not, will the yet-to-be-released new foot controller allow me to do the stuff listed above?

Apologies in advance if this info has been covered before....but like I said, I haven't been on the forum for a while and I'm not technically inclined.
I would expect everything you listed would be supported since the MFC can do all of those with the Axe Fx II. But since they are not available, we don't know yet.

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Over time large minds will come up with a roadmap for simple control on the MFC that will lay it out for layman. FAS *may* come our way by some other tweaks...who knows.

This is a whole new paradigm, and it will take some getting used to.

Ron

\
I'm sure Fractal could update the MFC firmware to support the III only, whether as a dumb controller or not (I suspect not). But that requires work and resources, and they are a small company.

This is my point. They could! As I said, I would pay for that III only support update. For me it's more than just the money for a new controller. I don't think the FC6 will work for me & the FC12 is so long it will require me to also by a new Pedaltrain & case for it, not to mention it is so long it's going to take up more stage real estate. Maybe a Mastermind is in my future!

This is my point. They could! As I said, I would pay for that III only support update. For me it's more than just the money for a new controller. I don't think the FC6 will work for me & the FC12 is so long it will require me to also by a new Pedaltrain & case for it, not to mention it is so long it's going to take up more stage real estate. Maybe a Mastermind is in my future!
I get that you would pay for it already! You've said that like 4 or 5 times... I don't doubt that nor did I question it.;)

How do you know how long the FC12 is? They have posted nothing about it's dimensions... It's been asked a number of times. It has 6 buttons in one row. Exactly the same as the MFC. I would be surprised that it is much wider, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom