Setting output volume on Axe & Matrix GT1000??

Jeff B

Inspired
Hi all!

I was wondering, since I've read a couple different opinions on this.... How are you guys setting the volume on your AFX and Matrix GT1000? Here are some of the ways I've read:

1. According to the Matrix video I watched on their YouTube channel (How to setup your Matrix Amplifier - YouTube), you should turn the Matrix volume up to 12o'clock, then turn the AFX volume up to "bedroom level" and then adjust the Matrix volume to suit.

2. I thought I read a post by Cliff in one of the tonematching posts where he specifically states turning the AFX volume up all the way and adjusting the power amp volume to suit.

3. I've read where some are turning the Matrix up 100% and adjusting the AFX to suit.

Now, I've tried all of the methods and sometimes I can swear I feel a difference... other times I think I hear a difference and yet other times I don't know what I think. Haha! The one thing that I do notice is that if I use the AFX volume, it has a slight lag from when I turn the knob to when the volume actually changes. Not sure if this is because it's in a digital realm or something, but it's not instantaneous as it is on the Matrix or a typical amplifier.

Obviously, I want the best, full range of frequencies as I can get but don't know if by keeping the AFX volume down, you may be "choking" the output at all or not. So... this is why I'd like to just find out what you all are doing and IF any of the methods actually make a difference in any way whatsoever, rather it be your opinion or actual proof. I'm curious. :)

Thanks!!

when I don't use a mixer in my live rig I set the Matrix to 2/3 and then use the Axe output level knob to set the level I need

when I use a mixer I set the Matrix, mixer channel and Axe to 2/3 and then use the mixer's master out to set the level I need

I have wondered this too. I've been running the Axe output at noon and adjusting the Matrix level as needed. Not sure if this is the best way but it's working for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pretty much set it the way Clarky does. Set the Matrix 2/3rds or 3/4 of the way and adjust the Axe to get the desired level. If I then need a little extra on stage due to monitors going up or ear fatigue, I can still raise the Matrix rather than the Axe (and avoid the slight zipper noise).
Not all sources plugging into the Matrix will have a great signal to noise ratio though (unlike the Axe) which is why cranking the output on the source (preamp, modeller etc) could increase the noise along with it. The Matrix will obviously amplify that. I'd say for the Matrix, somewhere between half and 3/4 depending on the situation (bedroom, stage, rehearsal) and then on the Axe, from about 9 to 12 o clock again depending on the scenario.

Down to personal choice though, if it works...it works. You say tomato I say tomato....(that obviously loses a lot in written translation!!) :)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I suppose that one of the factors that I didn't think about was the S/N ratio that LB mentioned above. I hadn't heard any real increase in the noise ratio from the AFX, but maybe because it's THAT good at controlling that, unlike other products that may be used in front of the unit. However, no matter what you use, if you potentially crank the AFX to max, you are also increasing that noise (potentially). I just didn't want to be "choking" out any of the tone by keeping the volume lower. I was comparing it (in thinking) more to a tube amp, whereas the more you crank the volume, the better it generally sounds. Getting it to "open up" and really allow those tubes to breathe and add punch and tone. But I guess that I don't have to worry about that with the AFX. As with my guitar... I just keep the volume at 100% all the time because I want to know for a fact that I'm giving my amp everything it has to offer and not choking those frequencies out at all. The only time I roll back my volume is to clean up the amp a bit.

So I suppose in the end, it's fine to keep my AFX cranked up to 100% and just control with the Matrix since it seems as if it's all just a personal choice, but in the end won't make a difference in sound or feel one way or another. :)

Back
Top Bottom