Setting great sounds with Ax-Edit, saving to AxeFx, disconnect laptop, not saved.

j8stringer

Inspired
I recently updated my Ultra to Vr 11 and Axe-Edit 10. My midisport is connected and showes a transfer (both ways) of sysex files. When working on a preset in the Editor ( with AxeFx as source ), I go through my presets, one by one, tweeking as I go, and before leaving the preset, I save hitting the Save button. I can see and hear the results I am getting. If I move on and then go back to a preset, my changes are there. Before ending my edit session, I go to Preset Manager, and save my presets and bank to a folder. I disconnect the laptop to play and I find a days worth of edits and new presets are not there. AxeFx has reverted to Some of the setting from before the Editing. I am not sure whats going on. I have some bad adjustment knobs on the front panel, so I started using the Editor againg after downloading the update. Should I try another version of Ax-Edit to see if its the problem or might it be something internal in the AxeFx? Anyone else have trouble getting edits to take by way of Ax-Edit?? Any suggestions??

What version of Axe-Edit are you using? There is no version 10.

I always do the saving from the front of the Axe fx after tailoring tone using Axe edit,but my laptop is right next to my Axe fx.
Only use Axe edit 191 with ultra too,its the best and only version to use IMHO as its the last pure ultra version of edit prior to the Axe 2 which messed things up for ultra use.
Fully un-install which ever version your using and switch to 191.
http://quonsar.meepzorp.com/public/AxeFX Files/Axe Edit (Windows)/Axe-Edit_Setup_1_0_191.exe

Sorry, I was a bit flustered last night, after loosing two days of great sounding edits. My Ax-Edit ver. is 9.191. After seeing a Moderator post that there were no changes in 10.191 for Ultra users, who were using XP SP2 as their OS. I am going to start again, one by one, hitting Save button in AxEdit and the store button on the AxeFx. Then, as an extra safeguard, can I do Send to Axe-Fx Edit Buffer - to send the Edit back to the AxeFx, and/or Export the Preset File to make an extra backup on my computer??

Sorry, I was a bit flustered last night, after loosing two days of great sounding edits. My Ax-Edit ver. is 9.191. After seeing a Moderator post that there were no changes in 10.191 for Ultra users, who were using XP SP2 as their OS.
No problem, but I still have to know what version of Axe-Edit you're using. None of the versions you mentioned exists.

I did not add the O, its 0.9.191 ( when I posted it above, I left off the starting 0. Today I have started to re-edit my Bank A. I am editing in Ax-Edit, guitar in hand, when its good I save using Store on my Ultras front panel. I then use export to preset file in Ax-Edit and it goes to a new folder. I have not disconnected my laptop yet, but when I check it on Axe-Fx, my changes are there. I move on to other presets, then go back and nothing has changed. If I disconnect my laptop and they go away, I have the files saved to reinstall. I hope this workes.

I did not add the O, its 0.9.191 ( when I posted it above, I left off the starting 0.
Got it. You're using the latest version compatible with the Ultra.

If I understand your original post, your Ultra is reverting back to some of its earlier presets, losing the edits you've made. Is that correct?

That's right. I have everything connected right. MIDIsport 2x2, sending & receiveing. Able to scorce AxeFx and work in AE, checking my edit changes with my guitar ( getting great sounds ), then I hit the save button on the GUI of AE and move to the next preset and repeat. Before disconnecting the laptop, I save as a bank and as presets. I disconnect the laptop, plug in my midi pedalboard ready to rock, only most of my edits didn't take, its the presets from before the editing. A couple things: my Value knob is bad, you turn it and the numbers jump around in both directions, also my Input #1 knob, turn it an sometimes you get a mono input from the front, sometimes the R & L Sum ( front and back ), which makes tha Amps sound bad. I am working on a PC with XP pro SP2.

That's weird. Once you've saved new data into a preset, the Axe-Fx doesn't have enough information to recreate the old version by itself.

Maybe your edits aren't actually being saved. after you think you've saved a preset, go to another one and then go back to the saved preset using the Utra's front panel instead of Axe-Edit. Are your edits still there?

Thats just it, they are not being saved by Ax-Edit. I hit the Save button, I see the MIDI sysx transfer (good checksum), I play the new edit with my guitar and hear the change, so I disconnect the laptop and go to cycle through my presets, only most of the changes didn't take. If I look on the front panel of the AxeFx screen, I can see the new blocks and edit changes at the time I make them, but once I disconnect, they have not been saved. I have found a work around, With Ax-Edit, I get the preset the way I want it, then save it with the Store/Enter buttons on the AxeFx panel. I then use Export Preset to Folder in the Ax-Edit GUI to save my changes to sysx. This seems to work, but I know the GUI is supposed to work better than that. I thought you should just hit Save and see the green light flash to know the transfer was made to AxeFx.

Thats just it, they are not being saved by Ax-Edit. I hit the Save button, I see the MIDI sysx transfer (good checksum), I play the new edit with my guitar and hear the change, so I disconnect the laptop and go to cycle through my presets, only most of the changes didn't take. If I look on the front panel of the AxeFx screen, I can see the new blocks and edit changes at the time I make them, but once I disconnect, they have not been saved.
Try this—before you disconnect:
After you think you've saved a preset, go to another one and then go back to the saved preset using the Utra's front panel instead of Axe-Edit. Are your edits still there?

Yes, they are still there. They only go away after I disconnect the laptop.
If I understand correctly:

1. You save the edited preset to the Axe-Fx.
  2. You go to a different preset using the front-panel controls (not Axe-Edit).
  3. You go back to the preset you changed (again using only the front panel controls).
  4. The edited preset is still there, complete with the new edits.
  5. You disconnect the laptop.
  6. Your edits are gone, replaced by your old un-edited preset.

Is that all correct?

Back
Top Bottom