Seriously impressed with Charvel...

I've been singing their praises for a couple years.

I have the HSS and really like it... So much so that I eventually bought a USA model :)

I would recommend looking for the Wilkinson locking saddles, losing the string trees and swapping out the tuners for staggered ones.

That will help a lot with tuning stability (assuming you use the trem)...

That's my only real complaint.

The USA models come with Sperzel staggered tuners and a single string tree.

I recently swapped in a Thornbucker+ in the bridge position of the MIM. It's pretty different from the Duncan but I like it.

Enjoy!
Looking at grabbing a USA Model is It worth 2k, or just another 12 hundred dollar type guitar?

Looking at grabbing a USA Model is It worth 2k, or just another 12 hundred dollar type guitar?

I didn't really see a reason to invest in the US made models when I was looking around. The MIM just felt right to me. And for the price I got it for, it was a no brainer.

Is nobody going to ask!? @paranoid how did you mount the guitars to the ceiling?!
An aluminum angle iron with one of the neck joint screws holding it to the guitar, multiple holes in the other side for balance hanging on a cup hook. the angle is not really in the way if playing sitting down. if playing standing up I remove it. for the most part though the guitars on the ceiling only get played when friends come over. Friends seem to aways want to play the ones hanging on the ceiling.

Well... The model I have is significantly more than that. I bought it used for about $3200. But it's the highly figured top, scraped binding, etc comparable to Suhr and Anderson.

Is any guitar really worth that kind of money? It gets kind of silly... But I don't regret the purchase. ;)

I think the MIM is worth more than what it costs, in my opinion.

As far as playability, the MIM is very good. The USA feels more alive but it's a Alder with a Maple cap and gloss finish vs the MIM solid Alder with a thin satin finish.

The neck and fretwork is near identical - the USA neck has a little more detailed flame, and it comes with Sperzel staggered locking tuners and a single string tree.

If you can find them locally and play them I'm sure you'll notice a difference but whether it's worth the cost difference to you is hard to say.

You can find the MIM in good shape as low as $700, which is a bargain.

If anyone is interested in the Jake E Lee Sig Charvel let me know. Just looking to recoup my
investment, and maybe pass along a great guitar (that just doesn't work for me) that you
can't seem to find in stock anywhere for a few months. PM me if interested. :)

I got a San Dimas about 5 years ago. I loved it with the flat radius. I felt like I could definitely play faster runs on it than my
Strat or PRS or Les Paul. However, either because I played the hell out of it or because of the flatter radius, I got pretty bad tendonitis in my fretting hand. I play it occasionally now, but mostly use the Strat because I am afraid of the tendonitis. Anyone else experience similar?
Not quite tendonitis, but issues yes. Some charvels have relatively big shoulders on the neck. Considering I often play with thump over fretboards, large shoulders = pain, lack of support for my hand. With some necks, that equals pain after 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom