Serious hiss

andyp13

Power User
tonight I did a rehearsal for a show that starts tomorrow.
I used my Axe FX XL with a Matrix fx800 amp and Matrix Q12 cab.
During the rehearsal my 'rig' was eminating a loud hiss which seemed to come and go during the show. I did not have a chorus or phaser on. The iss would disappear occasionally, but was mainly there loud and proud causing lots of puzzled looks from the other musicians in the pit.
I turned the AXE volume off but it was still there, and only went when I turned the volume of the matrix amp to off....BUT if the Axe was off then there was no noise at all?
I'm borrowing a combo for the show as the hiss is too loud to ignore
Anyone had this issue?

Ugh, that's the WORST kind of problem to have playing a show!

I have had weird oscillations come thru the ground path in buildings that seemed to have up to date wiring. That's in the US where we have that seperate ground pin, but have you at least tried the ground lift?

I will check that out, as when I was testing the setup before going the the theatre there was no hiss.

I think the key is that you only seem to have an issue at this venue by the sounds of it.

Sometimes it's worth trying different power outlets, different cables, different guitars, different output on your Axe Fx or amp (if you are only running mono) etc. etc... just in case a 'weakness' in your signal path is being exposed by particular environmental factors.

It could be noisy AC supply, RFI, EMI or God only knows what else so sometimes a bit of luck is needed...

which input ?
the same "hiss" at input 1 (front) and 2 (rear) ?
if only with input 1 (front) , open it , and disconnects and reconecte the pin from the mother board.
I had the same problem
if you are not sure of you, send it to fractal

To avoid something like this from venues I have an Fuhrmann Powerconditioner which seems to eleiminate those sort of problems.

At tonight's show, I went earlier and swapped the Matrix Q12 for a 1x12 guitar cab and it was absolutely fine, so I guess the problem is the Q12.

.Bad ground somewhere within the Matrix. Look for cold solder joints around the output jack. Or send it back!

Back
Top Bottom