Series or parallel for reverb and delay?

I think it really opens up the tone when you have delay and reverb parallel.
Stock presets are often in serie, no clarity imo.
But it all comes to taste I guess.

I think it really opens up the tone when you have delay and reverb parallel.
Stock presets are often in serie, no clarity imo.
But it all comes to taste I guess.

There's no sonic quality difference between series and parallel...

I haven't done any research on this of course.....
But if I'd put the delay block into the reverb block, all my delays will have a reverb to.....

When you do parallel there will be delay and reverb imo.

Either way, from what I tested, the parallel sounded much better than serie.

Physically you would be right as a think about it.
Or the volume difference making me believe that?

Last edited:
Yek is talking about the difference between setting a delay or reverb block to 100% wet and running in parallel to the dry signal, controlling the mix with the output level of the delay block vs mixing the wet and dry in the block. In parallel, the level of the dry signal never changes. When the mixing is done in the reverb or delay block, the dry signal level is changed as the mix control is changed in order to maintain a steady output level across the entire mix range. In parallel, the wet is added to the dry and the level of the entire mix is louder. The level is the only difference, the is no difference in tone.

Now running your delay block in parallel to your reverb block vs putting the two blocks in series definitely has a difference. In series, your delay repeats will have reverb on them. In parallel, the delay repeats will have no reverb.

I posted a similar thread a while back... In my presets I currently run delay in series (since the new delay mix rules were added), and reverb in parallel but post-delay.

But I was playing around with the reverb parallel to the delay block recently, and still trying to decide if I like the sound better with or without reverb on the delay or not [emoji2]

None of my previous rigs gave me a choice... It was always delay into reverb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

When you're running in series, there's actually a parallel path hidden inside the Delay block. So you're running in parallel either way.

I run delay in series for convenience, unless I need to tun parallel for a specific purpose. For example, some of my presets have different delays for rhythm and lead. With two delays in parallel, I can let one delay ring out when I switch over to the other one.

I use series unless I'm trying to do something requiring parallel routing. Aside from simplicity, I find it easier to keep volume consistent with FX on/off when it's set up as a series effect.

It makes no difference sound-wise. If you need to save a few percent of CPU, bring the signal back and avoid the extra shunts.

that's what i figured, i just didn't know if there was something to be gained doing it the other way. thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom