Senior Software Engineer Wanted

I'm stacked decks of punch cards old!

sigh

... and you would wait all night in the computer center on your turn for the progarm to run, just to find out you didn't start in Column 7.... mmmwwaahahahahahahaha. Or drop your card stack and then spend the next 3 hours sorting code line by code line. Cured me of any desire for a Computer Science degree...

sigh

The biggest change from the punch card days to now is that you didn't submit typos back then, waiting hours or overnight to see if your code compiled only to find a typo - the cost was too high. Now it's type anything, compile, then go down the list and fix your errors. Funny thing is when I was in college in the 80's the professors would say we needed to learn on punch cards because only universities would have terminals in the future and private industry would be using punch cards for the next few decades. An odd statement for the professors when many of the students owned Apple II's and worked jobs where we used PC's.

Hmm... Does this mean we are actually going to see the Axe-PC being launched at some point?

Not as initially envisioned, I'll wager. But a VST plugin capable of controlling the AxeFx hardware from within a DAW is a reasonable speculation. I don't think you can expect to see Cliff exposing his algorithms to rampant piracy and reverse engineering.

The Axe would probably function as a hardware based VST/AU effect with an Axe-Edit like interface allowing your DAW to automate the Axe. The VST/AU would probably allow routing audio to the Axe for processing & re-amping which would make it much easier to use the Axe with another audio interface on Windows. This is a great approach as it offloads a lot of processing from your PC/Mac.

The Axe can already send/receive audio and midi messages over USB, so it would be wrapping that functionality into an VST/AU. Axe-Edit appears to use JUCE so we could probably expect to see it's GUI, or something similar, used in the VST/AU (JUCE rocks!!!).

Adam did mention a new product that has plenty of memory. To me that doesn't indicate VST (since the hardware spec is not in their hands), but I wonder if AxeFX II Ultra is on the way? ...gahh... better stop speculating!

The Axe would probably function as a hardware based VST/AU effect with an Axe-Edit like interface allowing your DAW to automate the Axe. The VST/AU would probably allow routing audio to the Axe for processing & re-amping which would make it much easier to use the Axe with another audio interface on Windows. This is a great approach as it offloads a lot of processing from your PC/Mac.

The Axe can already send/receive audio and midi messages over USB, so it would be wrapping that functionality into an VST/AU. Axe-Edit appears to use JUCE so we could probably expect to see it's GUI, or something similar, used in the VST/AU (JUCE rocks!!!).

Given that I was programming ISA cards full of Texas Instruments DSP chips, plugged into 386 and 486 machines 20 years ago, it would be perfectly possible to get PCIe cards with the Tigersharc on , and run them in a PC for guys like me who want a home studio FX2, and already have IO covered. More attactive to me than just slaving the FX2 through the USB cable

interesting. speculatively hoping this will result in "axe-fxII pc" sometime in the future. totally happy with my axeI rack unit, but would definitely grab "axeIIpc" in addition -- if that was ever released.

Given that I was programming ISA cards full of Texas Instruments DSP chips, plugged into 386 and 486 machines 20 years ago, it would be perfectly possible to get PCIe cards with the Tigersharc on , and run them in a PC for guys like me who want a home studio FX2, and already have IO covered. More attactive to me than just slaving the FX2 through the USB cable

That would be really cool.

You could do a lower tier with two SHARC processors and an upper tier with 4 SHARCs and make it compatible with all the popular PC and Mac DAWs.

Then release a series of jaw dropping plugins for it!

UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins Platform | Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins | Universal Audio

Richard

Doesn't sound PC specific as the posting lists "VST/AU" and JUCE (cross platform development library).

That would be really cool.

You could do a lower tier with two SHARC processors and an upper tier with 4 SHARCs and make it compatible with all the popular PC and Mac DAWs.

Then release a series of jaw dropping plugins for it!

UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins Platform | Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins | Universal Audio

Richard

You could keep the AxeII as upper tier and remove a processor for an effects only (no amp sim) version as there was mention of an effects only product in the Guitar Messenger interview last summer.

sigh
LOL!!
My first real computer class at school was doing FORTRAN on old IBM punchcards. The computer system occupied an entire classroom adjoining the room for our class. I started long before that though.. my Dad began as a computer programmer with ADP back in '68, and I loved going to work with him and.. playing with all of those wonderful toys. I still have dreams with floor panels lifted out, leaning against magnetic drive machines, glorious runs of cables exposed, a tech scratching his/her head... (sigh)...

Except Mac software works - at least the OS - which is the most important part. :)

Not long after upgrading to Lion I started wondering if Apple had created their own Vista - so I googled "osx lion vista" and found I'm not alone. Microsoft has company in the buggy bloat-ware category.

Considering that Vista - is what pushed me to Mac - January of last year - I don't think they have anything in common. Yes - People are whining about Lion - but not for very many good reasons. Initially they didn't want Launchpad - neither did I actually - but I've found it to be quite useful lately. Yes - there are definite bugs in Safari - and a couple in Lion - but nothing remotely close to Vista and the bloatware that comes with MS. Besides - no one has to update to Lion. I only did because I wanted iCloud - I was perfectly content with Snow Leopard otherwise. Put it this way - I switched to Mac in January of last year - and now I have 2 and over the last year - I've had 2 applications freeze and exactly one time where I had to restart. Until MS rewrites Window from the ground up - I don't see it ever being as stable as the Mac OS. I have actually enjoyed using my computer for the past year.

Back
Top Bottom