Sending Windows 10 Audio Digitally to AX3's Layout Grid?

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
Is there a way to send audio from windows 10 (google chrome, iTunes, windows media player etc..) DIGITALLY to the layout grid in ax3?

My problem is whenever I use a physical connection , for example Motherboard's Line Out > 1/4' inch TRS cable > split into the AX3's Input 2 Left and Right, I get a lot of noise!

The primary limitation is Windows' audio system will only be able to use Outputs 1 and 2, and those get mixed in at the Output of the Axe III. Windows audio can actually support 8 output channels when in 7.1 surround output mode, but there's no native surround mixer that allows you to manually pick and choose channels for custom uses. In normal stereo output mode, it will always use channels 1 and 2 of whatever audio driver you select for system audio.

You can use a 3rd party audio driver like Voicemeter to reroute system audio to the Axe III's USB Outputs 7 and 8 and then put the USB IN block on the grid. The extra driver layer will cause a tiny bit of added latency though. Nothing is free.

The primary limitation is Windows' audio system will only be able to use Outputs 1 and 2, and those get mixed in at the Output of the Axe III. Windows audio can actually support 8 output channels when in 7.1 surround output mode, but there's no native surround mixer that allows you to manually pick and choose channels for custom uses. In normal stereo output mode, it will always use channels 1 and 2 of whatever audio driver you select for system audio.

You can use a 3rd party audio driver like Voicemeter to reroute system audio to the Axe III's USB Outputs 7 and 8 and then put the USB IN block on the grid. The extra driver layer will cause a tiny bit of added latency though. Nothing is free.
Thanks for that info!

I downloaded Voicemeter, but can't seem to figure out how to do what you said
I don't see/not sure which is the ax3's usb inputs from these options? (attached picture)

Thanks for helping @mr_fender

Attachments

• IMG_9457.JPG
    IMG_9457.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 9
Choose the ASIO driver for the Axe III. Then click in the meters box where is says "A Main Out" and change the A1 and A2 patch settings to this:
voicemeter.jpg

Click on the squares shown to increment them one number at at time until it shows the above setup. The OUT A1 section has to be set to dashes to turn off the normal output to USB IN 1 and 2, otherwise you get a feedback loop and it will squeal like crazy. The OUT A2 boxes are set to send outs 1 and 2 (the first two boxes) to USB IN 7 and 8. Don't forget to put the USB IN block on the grid and connect it to the beginning of your preset chain. Also, make sure you select VoiceMeeter Input as the sound device for Windows as well.

Last edited:
Choose the ASIO driver for the Axe III. Then click in the meters box where is says "A Main Out" and change the A1 and A2 patch settings to this:
View attachment 81194

Click on the squares shown to increment them one number at at time until it shows the above setup. The OUT A1 section has to be set to dashes to turn off the normal output to USB IN 1 and 2, otherwise you get a feedback loop and it will squeal like crazy. The OUT A2 boxes are set to send outs 1 and 2 (the first two boxes) to USB IN 7 and 8. Don't forget to put the USB IN block on the grid and connect it to the beginning of your preset chain. Also, make sure you select VoiceMeeter Input as the sound device for Windows as well.
I followed your settings and got it to go through the input USB but , I did a test of disabling the input usb block and the audio is still going through the headphones out

I have windows outputting to the voicemeter input

I appreciate your time thanks!

View attachment 81194

I changed the USB Output Mapping to "1/2 >Out 2 , 3/4 >Out 1" on the front of the AX3 I/O Setup

That seemed to help the problem , but honestly don't really quite follow these internal routings tbh

I think I’ve figured it out but just need confirmation !

so on the VoMe ...

Out A1 Main Device
Patch ASIO Inputs to Strips IN 1 , the numbers represent the Computer Inputs from the picture attached , correct?

and on OUT 2 Patch bus to A1 ASIO Outputs and the same as before the number on the outputs correspond to the computer outputs on the picture attached, correct?

Attachments

• DB221724-AAA2-469F-8DDE-C4DD22831491.jpeg
    DB221724-AAA2-469F-8DDE-C4DD22831491.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 13
Awesome, thanks for posting this. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do this. Now I can route zoom calls through the Axe and pitch shift my co-workers. 🎸
Years ago I hooked up my mom's TV audio to a Quadraverb and delayed the sound for the max of 1.5 seconds. Took her a few days to realize nobody's lips matched what they were saying on screen.

Back
Top Bottom