Send Midi messages from FC12 to Ableton

zachhord

I wish I could set up buttons on my FC12 to control Ableton from my pedalboard. It'd be awesome if it was a "select Midi Note" on whichever switch I selected.

Thanks!

Last edited:
check out the Control Switch midi section in the Setup > FC Controllers area. then make a switch a Control Switch.

I see where I can assign cc numbers and PC or CC but I believe Ableton needs actual midi notes to be triggered by. I can't seem to get it to work.

Check out a program called Midi Translator by BOME. It is software that acts as a virtual midi interface. It lets you convert any midi message or data into any other type of command.
For example: If you press "Return" or your keyboard to PLAY in Ableton, you can map a PC or CC message from any controller to convert into "Return".
I used this program for a few years to control Ableton from a Ground Control Pro. (I had to run it through an interface - I used a Motu MK3.)

I think my real issue is I'm trying to do this over usb and from what I've heard it needs to be over actual midi into a midi interface?

I figured out the CC stuff with Ableton but I can't get Ableton to see that I'm sending messages from my fc12

"There's no midi out over USB,"

Well... that explains a lot. I've just spent hours today working on this very issue, and after tons of tinkering and testing, I was able to get it to work by using my Motu Ultralite.

Question: Where and in which manual does it explain this? I'd like to read it again and understand it better. Or is there a post that goes over this?
...Because I have read and reread every sentence of material I could find in the AXE manual, the FC-12 manual, and the Footswitch mini manual. I didn't see anywhere that it said that midi could not go over USB. In fact, I could swear I read the opposite that midi was carried over USB. (though my day of trying verifies that it doesn't)

I mean... at the end of the (long) day, I got it working, so that's good. But I was really hoping to not have to keep an extra piece of gear in a rack to do this. It's an extra rack space, and 2 more cables that could all be eliminated by simply sending midi out over USB.

i apologize. I came across this thread via a search, and didn't realize it was in the wish forum until just now..
That said... I WISH for Midi over USB. :)

You already have that. Control Switch MIDI.
I think it would be more useful to have a midi section on the drop down boxes of the footswitches as opposed to having to use a Control Switch. There are only 6 Control Switches and they get used up pretty fast especially since they aren't per preset. I have to leave one blank so that I can use it to do a pitch dive from a footswitch. which leaves 5 midi commands that I can assign to footswitches. I'm trying to control my Bandhelper on my ipad and vocal effects on my voicelive rack using FC-6 footswtiches. If there was a drop down that said "midi" which included PC CC note number then I could just assign the midi command directly to the footswitch and if I needed something different for a certain patch I could set set something up on the per preset patch.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what the OP is requesting. Perhaps the same but more detailed? I'll do some more searching and if I don't find anything I'll make a new wishlist request. At the end of the day... the one thing, for various reasons that is a little behind on the Axe FX 3 is the handling of midi. My Helix handled midi very elegantly … it just doesn't sound as good.

I think it would be more useful to have a midi section on the drop down boxes of the footswitches as opposed to having to use a Control Switch. There are only 6 Control Switches and they get used up pretty fast especially since they aren't per preset. I have to leave one blank so that I can use it to do a pitch dive from a footswitch. which leaves 5 midi commands that I can assign to footswitches. I'm trying to control my Bandhelper on my ipad and vocal effects on my voicelive rack using FC-6 footswtiches. If there was a drop down that said "midi" which included PC CC note number then I could just assign the midi command directly to the footswitch and if I needed something different for a certain patch I could set set something up on the per preset patch.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what the OP is requesting. Perhaps the same but more detailed? I'll do some more searching and if I don't find anything I'll make a new wishlist request. At the end of the day... the one thing, for various reasons that is a little behind on the Axe FX 3 is the handling of midi. My Helix handled midi very elegantly … it just doesn't sound as good.

I agree, not having to use the control switches would be MUCH preferred. Those get taken up quick already.

Back
Top Bottom