Selling the amps?

If you can afford it, doesn’t hurt to have a tube amp around still. It’s kind of like having a classic muscle car. Probably arent going to drive it often, it’s not practical, costs too much, used to little etc...but, if you’ve got the money and the garage space, who wouldn’t enjoy having soemthing in the garage to take out every once in a while just for the fun of driving.

Great analogy. Although having used my valve amp twice in as many years it may be time to free up the cash for the impending arrival of my III

As much as I like my Axe III, I still use my BE-50 regularly and love it. There is no replacing it for me. I’m keeping it around as I still enjoy plugging into an amp.

I went backwards..received my first relatively pricy new tube amp (Guytron GT-100FV) days after my III arrived....Love running those hot and Steely valves thru my OX and into the III...

ha, thanks for all the feedback :) I love this forum.

Well instead of just having a garage sale of pricey amps, I'm going to attempt to build 4-8 presets which emulate that old rig, and see how close I can get to it. I've always been kind of a set-and-forget guy. never been much of a knob-twister, so this might be a challenge.

my 2 amps that I use constantly for recording, which aren't in the frac3, are the mesa stiletto and a suhr hedgehog. anyone have insights into which models would come the closest to a starting point for those?

Sometimes a basic little amp can prove quite enjoyable to have around as well. I had a few pedals for sale and got offered a 68 princeton reverb reissue in trade. Amp was worth more than the pedals so I went for it. Cool little amp with a great real bias tremolo circuit and spring reverb tank. Classic little combo and light enough I can carry it into a different room. Plugging straight into a basic amp and sitting out in the living room playing, totally back to basics, sound of the guitar/pickups/amp.

Obviously there are amps that cost a few grand (or more in Cliff’s case) but there are some pretty cool amps for quite cheap. Heck, I had an Epiphone valve Jr. which sounded great and that was like $125 or so, at least a few years ago.

Again, you can totally nail the Princeton tone with the Axe, and it’s going to record easier with the Axe, less volume issues etc, but I can’t grab my Axe and easily carry it around. I could make two trips with my CLR/Axe and that would work easily enough, but, still a bit more work than just grabbing a little combo amp, and depending on the cables hooked up bit of unplugging work to do.

I agree with that concept too. I have a little AER acoustic amp for the house I would never ever sell.

come to think of it, the AER would be a great amp to add as a model in the Frac :)

I go back and forth. Spent last night with Axe III, and spending tonight with my Triaxis (Ultra in the fx loop).
I like the variety.
Maybe if I was overflowing with $200k in amps I’d sell some, but I don’t have that worry!

I have several amps as well. I think I will keep them even though it’s quite an investment just sitting around. It’s hard to sell a full 100watt stack. Not much demand, and I would have to take a major loss. I have a few nice twins, a Vox ac30and a fender twin. Just gotta keep them. They are beautiful. Sound incredible. Idk. And all those pedals. Sheesh.

LOL. Half of that 200 grand is one amp.
Wow... was that for the Dumble, which you've said uses "Radio Shack and NTE parts" and "some of the cheapest poorest quality components made," etc.? lol

Or something else? What other amp is that exorbitantly priced?

I know. But that seems like I’m limiting the AxeFX. When I’m using the Axe, I want to take full advantage of the technology. Using the Axe with IRs into a FRFR monitor allows me to get the most out of the tech. It’s a different experience, and depending on the scenario can be the better option. Choose the right tool for the job. There are times when a great amp is still the right tool.
What he's saying is that you can also get that cab in the room sound without the tube amp.

When you have the urge, connect an open back cab instead of FRFR cab and fire up the Deluxe Tweed model (without cab block) and go to town.

I'm sure a cab costs way less than the amp...

What he's saying is that you can also get that cab in the room sound without the tube amp.

When you have the urge, connect an open back cab instead of FRFR cab and fire up the Deluxe Tweed model (without cab block) and go to town.

I'm sure a cab costs way less than the amp...

Or get a Xitone MBritt open/closed back convertible FRFR and run it open back mode...

Little global EQ and I can't tell... hehe. You can also run the MBritt mode where the tweeter is shut off with different EQ curve.

Depending on the amp, a lower watt combo amp can actually be cheaper than the price of a powered open back monitor, or a decent cab plus a power amp. Give up some versatility but, if all you want is the sound of an open back amp as you hear it in a given acoustic space the “best” way to obtain that is to play a combo amp in the given room.

I know my 68 Princeton reverb was a lot more affordable than a MBritt powered open back. Limited by the speaker in it etc while the monitor can use different IR’s etc so kind of apples to oranges still.

Back
Top Bottom