Selling HX Stomp to save and purchase an FM3. is it worth it?

George25

The unit sounds good but the feel is not there specially when palm muting ( high gain). I Tried IRs and same issue..
I downloaded Bias fx 2 and the response was there! ( using same IRs as the Helix). Now im confuse, because i read bad reviews about Bias
and personally i like it more than helix only in response of pick attack and such, not that much in sound . So is this a placebo effect, personal preference or its the technology behind that makes the response better? I will be selling the Hx Stomp, is the FM3 worth it?

Short answer: yup.

Longer answer: It's the technology that makes the difference between how modelers sound and feel. Not just the hardware, but the software that tells the modeler how to model the amp. There are other factors, too: what you're monitoring with, and how loud you're monitoring (louder pretty much always sounds and feels better). But the technology of the modeler itself puts the limit on how good things can get.

“A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. Unless you have an ordered FM3 on the way or lots of patience AND an alternative, I’d keep the Stomp.
If your livelihood or happiness depends on playing a guitar through an amp or amp-like device, never — ever — get rid of your main rig until you have its replacement in hand.

“A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. Unless you have an ordered FM3 on the way or lots of patience AND an alternative, I’d keep the Stomp.
It will just collect dust. I’ll keep bias and wait for an fm3. Idk if anyone experience the same thing with helix?

Considering that you won't get the FM3 for a long time, unless you have something else to play through, I don't recommend selling the helix yet.
Also, considering you are on the fractal forums, people will likely be biased, and of course you'll see "Ye sell it, go Fm3!".
Btw, there are other options. I wonder how the Atomic Amplifire compares to the Helix...
I tried BIAS once. Didn't like it.

I'm a regular here and my vote would be to keep your Helix! :) If it was readily available, you may have more to consider but at this point your choice is to keep your HX or wait an unknown amount of time without anything to replace your HX. Are you on the waitlist?

Last edited:
The unit sounds good but the feel is not there specially when palm muting ( high gain). I Tried IRs and same issue..
I downloaded Bias fx 2 and the response was there! ( using same IRs as the Helix). Now im confuse, because i read bad reviews about Bias
and personally i like it more than helix only in response of pick attack and such, not that much in sound . So is this a placebo effect, personal preference or its the technology behind that makes the response better? I will be selling the Hx Stomp, is the FM3 worth it?

I've used and owned Helix devices for many years. I really find that while playing them the Fractal sounds and feels more enjoyable to me. For me the Helix ends up sounding kind of flat (not 3 dimensional). Like you said with the palm mutes I don't get that low end presence. So I personally sold my Helix floor units and tried but returned the Stomp. I do still have Helix Native though so have access to Helix modeling. Personally I find the Fractal to have that 3D sound which is missing, and also not as harsh. I bought the FM3 to be my main rig (having used the Axe 3).

That said, there's a wait list for the FM3, so if you need to use a modeler for now, hold onto the Stomp. Unless you can get away with just using Bias.

I haven't used Bias in a couple years but I was impressed with it. I haven't compared with the Helix though.

Reactions: Rex
Considering that you won't get the FM3 for a long time, unless you have something else to play through, I don't recommend selling the helix yet.
Also, considering you are on the fractal forums, people will likely be biased, and of course you'll see "Ye sell it, go Fm3!".
Btw, there are other options. I wonder how the Atomic Amplifire compares to the Helix...
I tried BIAS once. Didn't like it.
The YouTuber Tood seems to like the AA. He keeps making videos about the product. He once reviewed the Hx stomp and other helix products and since he hasn’t made anything new.

I'm a regular here and my vote would be to keep your Helix! :) If it was readily available, you may have more to consider but at this point your choice is to keep your HX or wait an unknown amount of time without anything to replace your HX. Are you on the waitlist?
Can’t keep it. The feel is not there so I don’t enjoy playing it. Just using Bias and trying out other vsts.
Haven’t order one till I sell the hx stomp. Don’t have the money to enjoy all the gear that it’s out there

JARIC: I haven't used Bias in a couple years but I was impressed with it. I haven't compared with the Helix though.

Download the demo and let me know if I’m wrong that it feels better than helix lol or it’s just subjective? The sound it’s not better than helix, but try some Irs or the Celestion v30 Ir included in the demo.

I've used and owned Helix devices for many years. I really find that while playing them the Fractal sounds and feels more enjoyable to me. For me the Helix ends up sounding kind of flat (not 3 dimensional). Like you said with the palm mutes I don't get that low end presence. So I personally sold my Helix floor units and tried but returned the Stomp. I do still have Helix Native though so have access to Helix modeling. Personally I find the Fractal to have that 3D sound which is missing, and also not as harsh. I bought the FM3 to be my main rig (having used the Axe 3).

That said, there's a wait list for the FM3, so if you need to use a modeler for now, hold onto the Stomp. Unless you can get away with just using Bias.

I haven't used Bias in a couple years but I was impressed with it. I haven't compared with the Helix though.
That would not be my experience. With the same IR the 2 units sound almost identical. Also the response on the different picking/playing techniques are identical to me.

I have both. Of the two, I prefer the FM3 but I keep the Stomp around as a backup. There's just something about the Fractal stuff I can't put my finger on that sets it above the Helix for me. "For me" being the operative phrase.

You‘re asking two different questions.

Should you sell the Helix? Probably. Sounds like you don’t use it and it collects dust.

Should you buy an FM3? I’m wiling to bet (your money, lol) that the FM3 has the feel you’re looking for.

Ok.

The FM3 is the only Fractal product I’ve even used or owned.

I bought the HX Stomp about a month or so before I got the FM3.

Returned it in less than a week.

No comparison between the two units when it comes to a power amp and real guitar cabinet.

Recording or frfr, I dunno. Never tried either.

I sold my stomp as soon as my name came up on the FM3 waitlist. That's what I recommend. Sonically there's no comparison.

I sold my stomp as soon as my name came up on the FM3 waitlist. That's what I recommend. Sonically there's no comparison.
in a blind test there is no way you can tell them apart through the same cab or ir. Having both platforms, i understand personal preferences, UI differences, deep editing choices, model choices etc can play a role on which platform suits someone the best. But saying sonically there is no comparison it s simply not factual.Maybe the stock cabs in fractal are easier to get a good sound with but beyond that let's not exaggerate using such bold statements. Having more options is always good.

in a blind test there is no way you can tell them apart through the same cab or ir. Having both platforms, i understand personal preferences, UI differences, deep editing choices, model choices etc can play a role on which platform suits someone the best. But saying sonically there is no comparison it s simply not factual.Maybe the stock cabs in fractal are easier to get a good sound with but beyond that let's not exaggerate using such bold statements. Having more options is always good.
I can't tell difference in a blind test even with the real amp.. the important part is the response when playing modelers.

Back
Top Bottom