self oscillating delay?

chrisjnyc

Power User
Anyone have a cool self oscillating tape delay patch? I tried the motor speed and master feedback on the mono tape block, but its not really oscillating like a real analog delay

Why limit yourself to self-oscillating when the product can be so much more ;-)
This preset runs away, but when you play something new, it uses envelope detection to tame itself again. This gives you the effect of infinite feedback without overlapping discordant tones.
Dual expression pedals push things over the top and tweak MOTOR SPEED.

Here's an Axe-Fx version of the preset:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3959

The zip file attached contains the delay block and a compressor I followed it with. Put these in front of a clean-ish amp (I used DELUXE VERB NRM). I also used a FET boost in front for a touch of input drive. That's in the zip too. Just string the blocks together in a line and it should work. Make sure to set the gain on Controllers: Envelope so it triggers. I also had fun slowing the RELEASE sometimes.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This preset runs away, but when you play something new, it uses envelope detection to tame itself again. This gives you the effect of infinite feedback without overlapping discordant tones.

The zip file attached contains the delay block and a compressor I followed it with. I also used a FET boost in front for a touch of input drive. Just string them in a line and it should work. Make sure to set the gain on Controllers: Envelope so it triggers. I also had fun slowing the RELEASE sometimes.

i'm SO doing this on my next acoustic dinner gig!!!!

Put these in front of a clean-ish amp (I used DELUXE VERB NRM)..
Fantastic sound on this! Also, one of the "secrets" to great sounding, out of control delay tones is to run the delay in front of the amp IMO.

The zip file attached contains the delay block and a compressor I followed it with. Put these in front of a clean-ish amp (I used DELUXE VERB NRM). I also used a FET boost in front for a touch of input drive. That's in the zip too. Just string the blocks together in a line and it should work. Make sure to set the gain on Controllers: Envelope so it triggers. I also had fun slowing the RELEASE sometimes.

And here's an AX8 preset. I just put in the amp with the default settings and used cab 123. Pretty fun! But I'm not sure what expression pedal 2 is doing? It looks like changing Delay Feedback 2 from 0% to 5%, but I'm not hearing any audible effect?
-
Austin

Attachments

• Runaway Delay.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 63

This sounds FREAKING AWESOME!!! I love that it has the ability to tame itself when something new is played..... I've tried oscillating delays in the past but never thought of a way to do this....it has always just turned into a mess. I need to learn how to do these kinda things...... where can I go to learn these tricks on my own?

PS: For the ultimate in oscillating delays, you've got to try the SEND and RETURN blocks of the Axe-Fx!

Read Matt's post. Then download the file and see how he did it.

Yeah, I can figure that much out......

I was more referring to my lack of knowledge on what all the modifiers do. I need to sit down and do some reading to get a grasp of them so that I can learn how they work, what they are capable of, etc.....

But thanks for the suggestion Capt. Obvious!

thanks for the suggestion Capt. Obvious!
Any time.

I was more referring to my lack of knowledge on what all the modifiers do.
That wasn't obvious. :)

I need to sit down and do some reading to get a grasp of them so that I can learn how they work, what they are capable of, etc.....
That, plus playing with the modifiers to really get a feel for them, is indeed the answer.

All kidding aside, I suggested studying what Matt posted to see how he did it. That will be the leap that takes you from knowing how things work to actually creating with them. As Matt said, there's no "bag of tricks"—just a kitchen full of ingredients. You can learn a lot about cooking by reading other people's recipes.

You can learn a lot about cooking by reading other people's recipes.

While this is true.....I have to first know what the ingredients are that they are using in their recipes!!! I can look at Matt's patch all day long, but if I don't know what exactly the controllers are...... then it's like looking at a recipe written in German when all I know how to read is English. That's just my personal way of learning though..... I like to get all the technical stuff understood and then start tinkering with knobs and parameters. That's all on me though as I haven't ever taken the time to sit down and learn what all the controllers actually do. Sad to say, but when someone starts talking about LFO's, Envelope Filters, ADSR's, etc....... I look like a deer in headlights.. I've got to learn what those things actually do before I can set out using them.

Interesting question... These aren't tricks, per se... more like inventions on an as-needed basis. How does one learn to improvise? Experimentation and some knowledge of the underlying concepts and principles.

I could structure a course on maximizing modifiers if I had time...

I would sign up for that course...... you know, if you had time!!!

While this is true.....I have to first know what the ingredients are that they are using in their recipes!!! I can look at Matt's patch all day long, but if I don't know what exactly the controllers are...... then it's like looking at a recipe written in German when all I know how to read is English. That's just my personal way of learning though..... I like to get all the technical stuff understood and then start tinkering with knobs and parameters. That's all on me though as I haven't ever taken the time to sit down and learn what all the controllers actually do. Sad to say, but when someone starts talking about LFO's, Envelope Filters, ADSR's, etc....... I look like a deer in headlights.. I've got to learn what those things actually do before I can set out using them.

Have you read all the stuff I wrote for the Axe-Fx manual on that subject? It's Chapter 10 I believe.

Have you read all the stuff I wrote for the Axe-Fx manual on that subject? It's Chapter 10 I believe.
In the process of doing that now. It's really the only thing in the Axe that I haven't dove into. I never really had to before the Axe, because it was something that was always preset in the pedals I used. I have been putting off learning it, but now its time to sit down and figure them all out!

Back
Top Bottom