Seems helix is still fizzy.. is the ax8 more realistic?

Real amps are fizzy. Whether or not the AX-8 is "less fizzy" or "more realistic" is probably personal preference. The problem is that the latest crop of modelers are artificially soft. We strive for accuracy and the Helix probably does too. That means harder waveshaper transfer functions and harder distortion. You can dial the Axe-Fx and AX-8 to be soft like these other products but it's not realistic (turn down Preamp Hardness, set Power Amp Hardness to Soft, lower Negative Feedback, etc.). I don't know if the Helix offers that ability.

I wish some of these people who complain about fizzy tones and "artifacts" (regardless of product) were to spend some time in a studio with amps in isolation. It's quite enlightening.

thank you for the reply. I do not know if those tweaks are avail on the helix preamps and poweramps. I know they have a hum setting so you can make the amp hum more like a "real" amp.

You can dial the Axe-Fx and AX-8 to be soft like these other products but it's not realistic (turn down Preamp Hardness, set Power Amp Hardness to Soft, lower Negative Feedback, etc.). I don't know if the Helix offers that ability.

Gonna remember this tip to compare hard and soft tones.

Real amps are fizzy. ........ I wish some of these people who complain about fizzy tones and "artifacts" (regardless of product) were to spend some time in a studio with amps in isolation. It's quite enlightening.

Single best and absolutely %100 accurate comment made by anyone - regardless of who they are - regarding real amps and "fizz" and "artifacts".

Regardless of [ modelling] product if you want real tube amp tone, feel, sound and dynamic you aint gonna get any of that without fizz and without "artifacts" ..... period.

Ben
KPA and Axe II User

Since the AX8 is currently constructed of "unobtainium", I thought about getting a Helix as a temporary backup for my Axe II. I know clips/vids are not a great way to judge a product, but I have to say that just randomly listening to clips, I've not heard very many Helix clips that inspired me (Pete Thorn's was an exception), but doing the same for the Axe, I find it very easy to find great sounding ones... just check out the recordings section of this forum, for example. Maybe the Axe has been around longer so better demos are available, or maybe the Axe, since it's pricey attracts more professional level players so the demos are better, or maybe to my ears, the Axe is a better sounding product.

Real amps are fizzy. Whether or not the AX-8 is "less fizzy" or "more realistic" is probably personal preference. The problem is that the latest crop of modelers are artificially soft. We strive for accuracy and the Helix probably does too. That means harder waveshaper transfer functions and harder distortion. You can dial the Axe-Fx and AX-8 to be soft like these other products but it's not realistic (turn down Preamp Hardness, set Power Amp Hardness to Soft, lower Negative Feedback, etc.). I don't know if the Helix offers that ability.

I wish some of these people who complain about fizzy tones and "artifacts" (regardless of product) were to spend some time in a studio with amps in isolation. It's quite enlightening.

I sat down with my Diezel Herbert and Axe-FX to run an A/B comparison. I remember noting at the time that I was hearing quite a bit of fizziness from the Diezel head.

That being said, I always find that a bit of the fizz and hair helps my ears find the guitars in the mix. So it is not always a bad thing in my opinion.

I found that (to my ears) the fizz was really coming from my attempt to use a "tube screamer" before the amp, and not getting the gain/tone set right on the screamer. Also, some good eq'ing in the 4-6khz range also does the trick nicely.

all i know is that these sounds are stellar and i hope can be gotten from the ax8.

well to my ears these freeman presets with the fractal are not fizzy ...they sound amazing and if i can duplicate these tones with the ax8 i am all in. I listen to demos of the axefx2 and helix and to my ears the axefx2 comes away more polished and "realistic"-more 3 dimensional whereas the helix to my ears is very sterile and 1 dimensional. I do like the helix form factor and scribble strips and screen and versatility but for me all that which i may use down the road is overkill for me at this stage.

Sounding "worse" is subjective. Presets with V10 will sound different with Quantum. Whether it's better or worse is a matter of opinion. Just pointing out the the same presets will sound different, and that the person who posted that may or may not think it's "better".

Sounding "worse" is subjective. Presets with V10 will sound different with Quantum. Whether it's better or worse is a matter of opinion. Just pointing out the the same presets will sound different, and that the person who posted that may or may not think it's "better".

Well, yes but Fremen makes presets for every firmware version so if you got a Quantum firmware Axe unit you would use his Quantum 1.05 presets. And since the same guy is making them, one would imagine that they still sound good.
-
Austin

my point was that if i am blown away by v10 then i can only guess quantum-the next evolution of axefx- should likely even be more realistic and amazing. Of course it could be or sound worse to a certain percentage of players but from what i understand cliff and the others working on the axefxe are fanatics and really focus on the best possible sound structure of modeling. Now this doesnt mean I am a fan boi but line 6 spreads its self alot thinner across alot more products so while they have alot of great products(i own a few) i am willing to look into FAS now that the price range for the ax8 is more in my area.

I wish for people who demo products, regardless of vendor, play a tuned guitar to 440hz...

I wish for people who demo products, regardless of vendor, play a tuned guitar to 440hz...

As long as it's in tune with itself, I don't care what it's tuned to. My brother who has perfect pitch might have different ideas on the matter however :D
-
Austin

As long as it's in tune with itself, I don't care what it's tuned to. My brother who has perfect pitch might have different ideas on the matter however

I suppose my cynicism did not come through the digital cavern as well as intended. At 1:15-1:25 you can hear a few notes are out of tune on his axe, was attempting to be humorous.

To the OP, yes, all of those tones from the vid and more are available in the AX8 with ease. Fremen's presets are pretty advanced with the routing leveraging the full processing power of the AFXII, but the overall tone and sound is definitely achievable on the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom