Seeking Tuner Solution

Lionfeather

Inspired
In live usage I'm using the FM3 with 4 stand in switches, one of which is assigned to turn the tuner on when I hold it down.
I like the tuner to mute when I use it, and it is set so.

Sometimes in the middle of performing and stepping on the left switch of the FM3, my big foot will hit the A Knob and inadvertently
turn the tuner on and mute my sound. Panic sets in.

I don't think the A knob can be disabled or reassigned? I'm wondering if there is another way to set it up.
If the tuner was set to not mute, is there another way to call up the tuner in a scene with the output block disabled?
Or any other ideas?

Not sure what you mean by the "A knob".
If you're bumping the stand in switch that activates the tuner, assign the tuner function to another stand in switch that is more out of the way.
I have my tuner assigned to my volume pedal in the heel down "off" position.

Item 4, the A Knob up above the leftmost footswitch, I don't do it often but I hope to preclude it ever happening.

Attachments

• FM3.png
    FM3.png
    370.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: RLD
If you are using an expression pedal for volume control, You could use the option that engages the Tuner when the volume is at '0'. Then turn off the 'Mute' option for the Tuner.

Item 4, the A Knob up above the leftmost footswitch, I don't do it often but I hope to preclude it ever happening.
Ahh...I see...if all else fails you could try an "add on button" to your left FM3 switch like I have in this pic on my extra switches.
Makes the surface area bigger so your big feet can be less accurate.

;)

20211205_090230.jpg

I am not using an expression pedal, but is there a way to engage the tuner function with volume at zero without one?
hmmm, I haven't tested this.. But maybe a Control Switch assigned to the 'Volume' parameter instead of a Pedal would work? You could even use a custom name on that Control Switch of 'Tuner'.

EDIT... Nope... but the 'Tuner on Heal down' function can be directly assigned to a particular switch.

Last edited:
Sounds promising, I found the tuner on heel down function. However if it's not associated with turning the volume down it doesn't solve
my problem.

Last edited:
Sounds promising, I found the tuner on heel down function. However if it's not associated with turning the volume down it doesn't solve
my problem.
Can you assign it to the switch that was previously running your tuner? Min to 0 and the maximum to 100.?

On the unit I selected setup scrolled down to midi/remote, paged right to other, there I'm able to set a switch 1 or 2, tip or ring. I'm not sure where to go or what exactly I would set to min and maximum.

I was able to remove the knob and slip a couple of washers under it which stops the knob from being able to depress. So that is one solution. (the knob still turns easily)

I would love to make your idea work though, it seems much more elegant and a great chance to learn.

On the unit I selected setup scrolled down to midi/remote, paged right to other, there I'm able to set a switch 1 or 2, tip or ring. I'm not sure where to go or what exactly I would set to min and maximum.

I was able to remove the knob and slip a couple of washers under it which stops the knob from being able to depress. So that is one solution. (the knob still turns easily)

I would love to make your idea work though, it seems much more elegant and a great chance to learn.
If you assign Input Volume and tuner on heel down to the switch it should work. The alternative would be assigning the switch as a volume modifier or some other form of muting (like bypassing a block) in the preset instead of input volume.

@unix-guy You're right in this situation that the mechanical approach is not only simple but also the best.
Even if I succeed with a software approach, if I mashed the knob down it would still go into the tuner mode and I would still have to do a dance to get out.

Thanks everyone for you input!

Back
Top Bottom