Seeking help with Logic MIDI control of Axe-Fx III

Scented Meat

Power User
I'm accustomed to using Logic Pro X to control preset and scene changes with my previous units (Ultra, II, and XL+), but having trouble getting this up and running on my III. On the Axe-Fx MIDI/Remote menu I have MIDI channel set to OMNI, Program Change On, and I'm connected via USB to my iMac. With my headphones plugged into III I can hear audio from the computer, and Logic recognizes the Axe (and is set up to transmit audio to it). I can also see that the Axe-Fx III is present in my Audio/MIDI setup under Utilities on the iMac. Yet when I run a Logic track it has no effect on the Axe. I'm missing something....

Thanks,

Karsten

So, under MIDI/Remote, go to the 'Other' section, and set 'Scene Select' to whatever number you want. I am using 34 to mimic what the II was setup like.

@Chad Beattie Yes I had done that; set Scene change to 34 to mimic the II just as you have.

@Rex I have not assigned numbers to all presets, but for the first Logic file I tried, it sends a PC 70 which, in the II, called up preset 70. So I set PC70 to call up preset 70 in Axe-Fx III. No dice; when I triggered the Logic file the Axe stayed at preset 108, where I had previously set it.

Edit: Oddly enough, I closed and re-opened Logic and voilà! Switched to preset 70.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
@Rex I have not assigned numbers to all presets, but for the first Logic file I tried, it sends a PC 70 which, in the II, called up preset 70. So I set PC70 to call up preset 70 in Axe-Fx III. No dice; when I triggered the Logic file the Axe stayed at preset 108, where I had previously set it.

Edit: Oddly enough, I closed and re-opened Logic and voilà! Switched to preset 70.
Sounds like maybe Logic didn't send the PC message.

Last edited:
I'm back at it and have found unexpected behavior. Under MIDI setup I set PC 70 on the III to preset 89. Yet when Logic sends out a PC of 70 it triggers preset 70. I set PC 71 on the III to preset 320, but Logic PC of 71 triggers preset 71 instead.

Edit: Nevermind; I thought I had PC Mapping "on", but I was wrong. All good now.

Back
Top Bottom