Scott Peterson's Tweaked Factory Presets for the Axe-FX II

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
By request, I tweaked out selected Factory 'raw tones' presets and wanted to share them.

I have to give full credit to Adam Cook and Fractal Audio for building the presets these are based on. I tweaked out the amp, the cab and the reverb. The other effects (all are bypassed) are as stock from FAS.

I have very specific ways I want things to sound and feel; and some people share that taste. I wanted to present these to the community to share where I come from. You'll see how I tweak the cab out and notice (hopefully) that when you crank these up through a big loud FRFR based system that they really hold together well. One of the features that I feel adds much more to the party than most is that I do not use any mic modeling on the IR's. Using nothing more than factory IR's and using different combinations of a NF and FF IR. You'll note the NF is always -3db and the FF is at 0db. One thing that stands out to me is how much of the character the NF supplies and how much depth the FF adds; it is best used IMHO panned center.

I tweaked these out with my 1995 PRS Custom 22 that has Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz humbuckers. Fairly common well-known humbuckers.

Some notes:
  • Please adjust your input level on the I/O from the front of the Axe-FX II to 'flicker' the red peak LED for best S/N and results
  • You will of course need to tweak out the Amp Block Drive gain and Tone Stack EQ to match your taste and preference
  • You may or may not feel the need to Low Cut some of the higher gain presets. I do this on the Advanced Tab of the Amp block preferably rather than in any other point in the signal chain
  • Reverb levels are consistent though-out all of these presets; you might prefer more/less or a different sort of reverb. These are medium room (there are a few exceptions).
  • These are best worked with at +90db or higher.
I've tried to attach them inline to the forum. If they don't appear, I've posted them up at Dropbox... link below

Here is the download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g45xyo0onnhbix8/TJ73j-UGlu/2012_06_SP_Tweaked_Factory_Presets.zip

View attachment 2012_06_SP_Tweaked_Factory_Presets.zip

Enjoy!!

Nice! Thanks so much! Your presets for the Ultra were some of my absolute favorites and served as a great learning tool. Looking forward to trying these!

Thanks Scott - I'll be digging into them. I like your approach on working with the Axe-Fx and appreciate you sharing your presets - I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Scott - a question from another thread I had going on the topic. Do you ever use the Room effects in the cab block to add in early reflections? Do you find them useful in any scenarios (direct recording, outdoor, etc?).

Scott - a question from another thread I had going on the topic. Do you ever use the Room effects in the cab block to add in early reflections? Do you find them useful in any scenarios (direct recording, outdoor, etc?).

Not anymore. The room aspect of the Cab block is completely not used by me.

I use the reverb block for 'space' instead of as an effect mostly. In my own presets (note that these are tweaked factory presets, not my personal presets) I have an expression pedal that is attached to the "ingain" of the reverb (which I mix in as a parallel effect) to taste and is based on a 'small room' reverb.

So I get my 'depth' of field moreso from the actual reverb block and NOT from the cabinet block reverb.

Just works better for me.

You'll note the NF is always -3db and the FF is at 0db.

I worked up some new patches for my P90 guitar last week (NF/FF combos) and had a chance to try them live on the weekend. They were a bit "buzzy" / "brittle", and this might be the ticket to tuning that out. Did your move to setting the NF at -3dB coincide with one of the firmware updates?

I'm curious. . . do you still tune the parameters in the amp speaker tab?

Thanks for the tweaked patches. It will be really interesting to hear the differences between your cut and the Fractal set. This is a great learning opportunity!

Terry.

I worked up some new patches for my P90 guitar last week (NF/FF combos) and had a chance to try them live on the weekend. They were a bit "buzzy" / "brittle", and this might be the ticket to tuning that out. Did your move to setting the NF at -3dB coincide with one of the firmware updates?

I'm curious. . . do you still tune the parameters in the amp speaker tab?

Thanks for the tweaked patches. It will be really interesting to hear the differences between your cut and the Fractal set. This is a great learning opportunity!

Terry.

I've been running the -3db on the NF since January or so; I wanted to test it extensively in a live setting. I did that before I ever opened my mouth.

I do not feel - since 6.xx - that I need touch the speaker tab. Everything there is stock. Cliff extensively reworked the default values in the period leading up to 6.xx and since. His work there is - IMHO -spot on.

I do not feel - since 6.xx - that I need touch the speaker tab. Everything there is stock. Cliff extensively reworked the default values in the period leading up to 6.xx and since. His work there is - IMHO -spot on.

Thanks.

I've been running the -3db on the NF since January or so; I wanted to test it extensively in a live setting. I did that before I ever opened my mouth.

I had tried the opposite some time ago, dialing back the FF so I could get a little extra brightness. I never liked the result, as things became too edgy. In the last set I did I have brightness to spare, so those P90 tones are a good candidate to try this on.

Terry.

Not anymore. The room aspect of the Cab block is completely not used by me.

Good feedback. I keep going back and forth myself. Sometimes I like the early reflections to liven it up, sometimes it can sound a bit weird or boxy. I'll probably add just a touch and see how I like it live. I have my delay and reverb set to the ingain parameter as well as per your setup - it's a great tip and so flexible to adjust live if you need more effects.

Thanks so much Scott.

Your willingness to share your hard work plus help folks on this board is a real testament to how great the whole Fractal community has become and still is.

I've only been around this forum for a couple of years but this is still a very friendly place and folks are always willing to answer Q's and help.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom