Scott peterson is it true?

paullypj

Inspired
Is there a Fractal Audio Systems for Dummies book in the works. If there is that would be great... you would be one of the top picks to write it ... I have my fingers crossed ...

Could you give me some advise on getting a tone that is similar to steve vais tender surrender or boy from seattle
I know this might belong in presets but i asked before and got no response not many vai vans out there it seems. Plus i did not want to make 2 posts.

There IS such a resource already - yek's how to.

If you can't at least get SOME decent noise out of the black box after going thru that, you're doing something wrong.

Thanks again to yek for such an awesome resource....

Edit - added link here:
Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Another edit - for the vai tone, just back off the gain a LOT and turn up the master a bit, with a lot of mids on a Marshall model - will get you ballpark almost immediately.

Last edited:
This would be something I'd be interested in!
With all the knowledgable AxeFx owners in the area (e.g., solo-act, javajunkie) and not-so-knowledgable ones like myself :eek:ops you could probably get everything you would from a dummies book with a polite request, a couple hours, and a six pack. On top of that, the beer would be less expensive than the yellow book. :p

I m not saying that i cant get awsome sounds from this thing... if it came with just the presets and no control over them i would be happy... but it dosent come that way... yeks is fine, and is an amazing resource... but it is not an in depth walk through of all the features in the axefx and how to apply them to real world situations... i would like to have an better understanding of all this ... I want to really learn how to use this thing EVEN IF I REALLY DONT NEED TO. BUT JUST BECAUSE ITS THERE I WANT TO KNOW.

listen to boy from seattle and tender surrender again maybe a couple of times ... I have been listen to music and playing gutar for 30 years and i love all kinds of music (except rap and hip hop ) and to this day i have never heard any guitar tone that is even close ... I get that his fingers are part of it but still...

Where did you hear that? I didn't start that rumor, honest!

Yek's How To is the best guide.

I am starting to work on videos that break things down; and I also do private consulting helping folks 'get up to speed'. I also try to post a lot and share what knowledge I have.

The forum and the folks here are amazing resources.

Yup - there is no ONE book/resource that will do it for you. This forum is a living, breathing animal, with the wealth of thousands of users from the n00b to the expert with years of real experiences and that is better than any manual or book written by any one man.

if one reads between the lines of my post they would see that this is my indirect way of saying this thing(axefx) is something that is truely amazing and is so deep and flexable that one could take a college level coure and study it for a year. ITS A COMPLEMENT TO CILFF AND FRACTAL AUDIO AND SCOTT PETERSON AND ALL WHO CONTIBUTE TO THIS THING INCLUDING ALL WHO SHARE THER KNOWLEDGE ON THI FORUM!!! NOT A CRITISISM!!!!

Didn't take it as a criticism at ALL.

This forum is the go-to place to learn stuff - I don't even use the manual much to be honest - I just come here and read till my head explodes.

There are also some excellent tutorial vids online - look for the boyinaband tutorial vids - will get you up to speed VERY quickly.

thanks i actually printed out the entire wikii for the ultra when i first got it ..had it spriral bound and and divided into three seperate books they

I used to own a Jem and the guitar and pickups really played a big part in the sound imho.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I would pay money for a "Axe FX 2 for dummies" book. The Wiki is great, but nothing beats having a reference book on hand.

I don't think the axe fx was designed for dummies, but for specific and specialized needs of guitarists. The price range alone precludes it to the professional/semi-pro guitarist. It takes a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty easy to get a hang of it.

It's like asking for a 'rocket science for dummies' or a 'quantum physics for dummies' - it will take some time to get the hang of, regardless of how good the resources are.

Additionally - you're talking about something that is ENTIRELY subjective. Some people like mesas, some like fenders. In maths, 1+1 = 2, but in audio, a gibson + marshall does not always = sonic nirvana.....

Last edited:
I don't think the axe fx was designed for dummies, but for specific and specialized needs of guitarists. The price range alone precludes it to the professional/semi-pro guitarist. It takes a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty easy to get a hang of it.

It's like asking for a 'rocket science for dummies' or a 'quantum physics for dummies' - it will take some time to get the hang of, regardless of how good the resources are.

Additionally - you're talking about something that is ENTIRELY subjective. Some people like mesas, some like fenders. In maths, 1+1 = 2, but in audio, a gibson + marshall does not always = sonic nirvana.....

Dont get me wrong and im not trying to start something here.('rocket science for dummies' or a 'quantum physics for dummies' they have these books by the way)
I read these forums on a regular basis and from what im reading there are a lot of people like my self who would like to really get to know and utilize the full capabilities of this thing.

You are right in that the axe is very easy to use and understand. I had no problem with the basic and intermidiate functions. I have in the past 20 years owned many expensive rack processors. I have spent countless hours pouring over manuals and tweaking this and that so im am not new to this game but since i dont make a living at it im not an expert at it.(BTW none af the equipment i owned previously had 1/1000 of the support that the axefx has. The manuals are actually writtin by someone whos first language is english.(this in itself a major break through). Not to mention it is one of the best product manuals ive ever seen for any product. Oh and did i mention the wikki and the forum.

All in all has there never been a guitar thing that has been so deep aaaaand ..... had so much amzing support.

So here is my point .... I dont need any help with the basic or intermediate ...i GET THAT... and im not looking for sonic nirvanna. I just want to really learn this thing inside and out period... IS THER SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT... Again Ive been throuh all the resources and they are 1000 times better than whats provided for any other product out there... But IMO its not enough for some one like me (and im sure many others) to truely want unlock this monster. Since there has never been a product that has so many parameters to control it would fantastic to have a book written by a 3rd party that is a tutorial and step by step that unlocks the full potential in an organized way ,like a dummies book, for those of us that would like to really get into this thing.

What i think is important to understand here ; is that there (at least as far as i know) there has never been a guitar prouct with so much control over so many parameters that most guitar players (not engineers and audio profesionals) are not familiar with. Ill say it again ive owned a lot of amps and equipment yet a lot of the amp features in the advanced settings and speaker settings are new to me in that ive never been able to have control over them. Name on prouduct that even comes close..

BTW my original post was a tounge in cheek complement to scott and cliff and all the contibutors to the forum who have helped with my questions.
What better way to compliment the ax than to say that it is so deep that there is enough in it to warrant a book discribe how to use it.

Is there a Fractal Audio Systems for Dummies book in the works. If there is that would be great... you would be one of the top picks to write it ... I have my fingers crossed ...

Could you give me some advise on getting a tone that is similar to steve vais tender surrender or boy from seattle
I know this might belong in presets but i asked before and got no response not many vai vans out there it seems. Plus i did not want to make 2 posts.

@Scott
I smell a NY times best seller!!!! ;)

"Print is dead" Harold Ramis, from Ghost Busters (the original).
VIDEOS!! VIDEOS!! VIDEOS!!

I am up and running. But like I said in previous post, as others before have, this Axe Fx is an indepth, complicated, vast "AWESOME" instrument, and I just want to make sure I'm getting all I can out of it. There IS alot of great info. out there and like jon said,"sometimes I read till my mind explodes". But IMHO, short concise videos on one specific topic, listed in an index would be the bomb. (I know, I'm not high maintainence:) With so much info and so little time to spend finding the specific topic I might be looking for, I thought this would be the easiest way to do it. But let me confess, I know I am asking to benifit from other peoples hard work and talents. So I'd be willing to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom