Scenes vs Effects configuration

LeonC

Inspired
I've been using an FM9 for over a year now and I've got it configured so I use two "swiss-army knife" presets for everything that I do in my main band. I've always preferred configuring the pushbutton-switches to engage/disengage individual effects as opposed to programming a bunch of scenes...then I use scene-ignore in each effect so that it doesn't follow scene changes. I've found this to be most useful for the way I like to play.

But every now and then, I encounter a song or situation where I really would prefer to be able to toggle between scenes because I want to be able to engage/disengage/change a number of things in my signal chain with one click...and this would be most easily implemented by setting up scenes (with "scene ignore" off) then using one of the pushbutton-switches to toggle or select the desired scene.

I guess there might be other ways of doing this with my existing preset; perhaps with a multiplexer. Or maybe by programming several things to respond to one control switch and then getting that control switch into one of my "per preset" slots...? But I will probably wind up creating a separate preset configured this way and just use this new preset for a particular song I'm working on.

Anyone in a similar boat come up with some clever solution?

This is what I do as I'm mostly a single kitchen sink preset player.
I created different layouts, for example fx 2 and favorites shown below. My long presses switch between different layouts. Each bottom row button long press goes to a different layout. Button 3 is efx1 and button 4 is efx2, I then create Scene Controllers for some buttons if I want to activate multiple effects at one time so that I don't have to tap dance on multiple buttons. For example, button 2 on my efx1 layout turns on CS2 which in turn activates pitch and filter at the same time.

1693517350917.png

This is what I do as I'm mostly a single kitchen sink preset player.
I created different layouts, for example fx 2 and favorites shown below. My long presses switch between different layouts. Each bottom row button long press goes to a different layout. Button 3 is efx1 and button 4 is efx2, I then create Scene Controllers for some buttons if I want to activate multiple effects at one time so that I don't have to tap dance on multiple buttons. For example, button 2 on my efx1 layout turns on CS2 which in turn activates pitch and filter at the same time.

View attachment 126033

I looked before and didn’t see a way to use a CS to bypass effects. I’ll look again. Feel free to elaborate.

I looked before and didn’t see a way to use a CS to bypass effects. I’ll look again. Feel free to elaborate.
pick a block and right click on bypass and assign it to Control Switch (x) then do the same for the other blocks that you want to do and assign them also to the same control switch. I often do this for pitch and chorus. I never want them on at the same time, so it's more like a toggle between them.

1693521644518.png

Another plus of using control switches is that most times using them does not make the “save” light come on in Axe-Edit……..
that way, at least in my case, you’re not wondering after awhile “did I change something I need to save”? laugh.gif

Another plus of using control switches is that most times using them does not make the “save” light come on in Axe-Edit……..
that way, at least in my case, you’re not wondering after awhile “did I change something I need to save”? View attachment 126045
I do hate that. Even changing scenes it appears that alterations have been made and I can't remember if I actually changed anything.

Awesome. I never tried right clicking on the bypass to see options. I’ll screw around with it later this evening. I haven’t put a lot of time into making a better foot switch setup. I’m using scenes to switch amp channels and that’s it. Effects I just run the old fashioned way. So pick a scene then go to effects and do some dancing. It works but can be better. It does sound really good though! Thanks guys!

I think of scenes as destinations I want a single tap away at all times. They will be a base sound (clean, crunch, lead) with effects that work all the time. Maybe two of each type (eg. clean + chorus and clean + phaser).

For variations, I use an expression pedal to dial in "special" effects. So, maybe a lead scene has an expression pedal driving the mix and feedback on a delay and the mix on a rotary that is whipping things up the more I press on the "gas".

I may have 2 special scenes that vary what the expression pedal does unique to that preset if it is far enough afield from the basic 6 scenes.

Here's an example, tremolo is on the expression pedal. Sure it could have been a switch, but with this approach, I'm able to gradually bring it in in the chorus.

Last edited:
I think what you should be doing is use the scenes layouts for scenes as predefined sounds where multiple effects come in and out. On your scenes layout, I would have one foot switch that goes directly to the layout. Use the effects layout for your instant access switches for individual effects bypass. I think the effects layout is one of the factory layouts worth heavily editing where you put your most commonly used blocks in the order you would want.

This really accomplishes exactly what you want while still using the factory layouts, scenes and effects triggers as intended.

For me, I use a kitchen sink preset with 8 amps, a different amp per scene so my scenes are completely different from one another and I use CS and stomp in effects independently. I understand what you mean though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even changing scenes it appears that alterations have been made and I can't remember if I actually changed anything.
Changing scenes actually is an edit. Especially if you’re set up to go to the last-saved scene when you lad a preset. For example, if your preset defaults to Scene 1, and you change to Scene 2, and then you save, your preset will default to Scene 2 the next time you pull it up.

In general, if you can’t remember whether you intentionally changed anything, you probably didn’t, and you probably don’t want to save after you’ve done something like change scenes.

Back
Top Bottom