Scene 'safe' effects?

jdolll

Inspired
When switching scenes, is there any way to have effects blocks maintain current state? I'm attempting to use scenes as amp 'channels' for reasons related to switching limitations on the FC sending multiple channel updates at once, but when I switch scenes, it bypasses effects that are not default enabled in that scene.

Scenes affect all blocks' Engage/Bypass and Channel state. it has been requested for an option to have blocks "ignore" Scene changes. it's a difficult thing to implement.

as cool as i think it is, i feel if we do get "ignore scene changes" we'll then want "sometimes ignore Scene Changes, except on Scene xyz." *shrug*

Can’t you just enable the effects you want on in each scene, so that when you change scene, to effectively change the amp channel, the new scene will still have the effect engaged ?

S1 is amp channel a, and say reverb block engaged, when you go to s2, it would be amp channel b, and you’d save it with the reverb block engaged, so on and so forth. Then when you switch to that scene, everything is already engaged, and all that changes is the amp channel.

There's already a wish for this... I think it was called "scene ignore" or something like that.

Striking out on getting this to function like I hoped for... with the FC controller I can’t stack channel changes onto a single button, which led me to try scenes, but scenes change effect state in a way that I don’t care for. I’m using two amps in my main patches and changes to the two amp blocks at once while leaving the effects state unchanged isn’t working out. I don’t personally prefer the idea of full scenes with effect state baked into them but I may end up with that as a solution...

Can’t you just enable the effects you want on in each scene, so that when you change scene, to effectively change the amp channel, the new scene will still have the effect engaged ?

S1 is amp channel a, and say reverb block engaged, when you go to s2, it would be amp channel b, and you’d save it with the reverb block engaged, so on and so forth. Then when you switch to that scene, everything is already engaged, and all that changes is the amp channel.

^This^

Striking out on getting this to function like I hoped for... with the FC controller I can’t stack channel changes onto a single button, which led me to try scenes, but scenes change effect state in a way that I don’t care for. I’m using two amps in my main patches and changes to the two amp blocks at once while leaving the effects state unchanged isn’t working out. I don’t personally prefer the idea of full scenes with effect state baked into them but I may end up with that as a solution...
if you can upload your preset, we can help you. i'd like to hear what isn't working with Scenes.

right now there really isn't a way to have multiple "some things" change while other things don't.

I can make what is being suggested work with scenes, but it isn’t the way that I wanted it to work. I’m trying to find workarounds, but I might just have to accept that how I want it to work is not possible based on the idea that you can’t make groups of some things change without others changing, at least for now. It’s quite disappointing really, this is the first time I’ve run into a wall configuring an afx across an ultra, II, and III.

"and when I'm down and out and lose communication with nothing left to say, its only then I realize it's just a condition of seeing things that way" -- John Lennon

"If you don't like your reality, change your mind" -- paraphrasing Ram Dass

What you're asking for is to have some blocks, such as the amps blocks, be linked to scene changes but for others to be more "stompbox" style and turned on and off independently with instant access buttons. Currently that's not possible, but as @unix-guy pointed out, there have been wishlist requests for this.

Can’t you change amp channel via a FC switch ? This would let you stay on the same scene, and if you want to turn other effects on, or keep them on, they’d stay that way, as your not changing the scene.

Can the FC not be set up to change channels ?

This is possible for bypass state (not channel) with bypass modifiers. With a lot of effects or other parameter control it could be easy to hit the FC's 6 control switch limit, but external switch/pedal ports could also be used.

Ah I see....

What if he puts one amp channel on the top row, then the second amp channel on the bottom row, just stepping on two switches together to change two amps at the same time ? Added versatility would be you could also change either independently if you don’t want both together.

i’m Just going to go back down to one amp block and switch channels. In trying my options, this gets me the best of all the options I’m looking at.

Here's a "hack" based on a technique I would use in artist rigs for "scene independent" blocks. This is based on Global IA switches with MIDI output, but the result should be the same. Assigning a control switch to the BYPASS parameter of the effect and setting the CS-per-scene values of that Control Switch to "LAST". Now, you have FC control of the effect that's independent (or even partly independent) of scene changes.

Reactions: sam
Here's a "hack" based on a technique I would use in artist rigs for "scene independent" blocks. This is based on Global IA switches with MIDI output, but the result should be the same. Assigning a control switch to the BYPASS parameter of the effect and setting the CS-per-scene values of that Control Switch to "LAST". Now, you have FC control of the effect that's independent (or even partly independent) of scene changes.

I couldn’t seem to get the CS control midi settings to fire the defined midi updates. I was trying with channels instead of bypass state, perhaps that’s different? I’ll give this a shot with the global IA switches to see if I can get it to do what I’m hoping for.

I couldn’t seem to get the CS control midi settings to fire the defined midi updates. I was trying with channels instead of bypass state, perhaps that’s different? I’ll give this a shot with the global IA switches to see if I can get it to do what I’m hoping for.
He's not suggesting sending midi, he is suggesting using a Control Switch as it's primary function, which is as a modifier source.

Also, CS Midi is sent OUT of the Axe Fx... It isn't processed inside the unit.

He's not suggesting sending midi, he is suggesting using a Control Switch as it's primary function, which is as a modifier source.

Also, CS Midi is sent OUT of the Axe Fx... It isn't processed inside the unit.

I’ve gathered that CS midi doesn’t work that way. Based on the ‘global IA with midi out’ part of Matt’s comment I was confused where midi was in the mix, but rereading it I understand what he was saying now.

Back
Top Bottom