Scene bypass???

Orvillain

Power User
Does Axe III have a scene bypass function for the blocks, similar to Helix's 'snapshot bypass' feature?

On Helix I can have some effect blocks part of the snapshots, and some not. So the way I've ran it in the past is have 4 snapshots along the bottom row, and 4 effects along the top that are decoupled from the snapshots - meaning their bypass state does not change when I move from scene to scene.

In this way I can set the unit up much like a traditional amp channel switcher + pedalboard rig; with the benefit that I can still have blocks like an EQ, noise-gate, compressor, etc, all switching with the snapshots... whilst leaving my delays and reverbs for manual switching only.

I have a feeling the Axe III doesn't offer this, but thought I would ask anyway.

Have you read the manual? What did you try?

Blocks can be enabled/disabled and their parameters adjusted. Scenes contain the state of a block, whether it's enabled or disabled and the channel selection of that block and the parameters set in that channel. A preset contains eight scenes. You can't tell a preset or scene to ignore a block, but you can leave it enabled/disabled across multiple scenes.

Then there are scene controllers which can affect blocks also, so you have multiple ways to set how a block is configured and what its state is. A scene controller has off/on/last settings, and "last" would be similar to what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Does Axe III have a scene bypass function for the blocks, similar to Helix's 'snapshot bypass' feature?

On Helix I can have some effect blocks part of the snapshots, and some not. So the way I've ran it in the past is have 4 snapshots along the bottom row, and 4 effects along the top that are decoupled from the snapshots - meaning their bypass state does not change when I move from scene to scene.

In this way I can set the unit up much like a traditional amp channel switcher + pedalboard rig; with the benefit that I can still have blocks like an EQ, noise-gate, compressor, etc, all switching with the snapshots... whilst leaving my delays and reverbs for manual switching only.

I have a feeling the Axe III doesn't offer this, but thought I would ask anyway.
This is a frequent wish, but not currently possible. The use case most often expressed is: use channel switching to select an amp and use scenes to independently select effects to go with that, excluding the amp block from the scene switching.

Here is one of the wish threads:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-make-a-block-scene-independent.141532/

I don't know the Helix ecosystem at all, so I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, do you mean you use EQ, a compressor and a noisegate for specific amp channels? IE- clean + Compressor, Crunch + Noise Gate, More Crunch + EQ (while leaving delay/verb bypassed until you stepped on a footswitch)?

I've never used the Per Preset option on the FC stuff, but if I understand it right, you could basically have your top row be the scenes and then the bottom row set for the effects, so take the FC6; Your top 3 footswitches are Scene 1: Clean + Compressor, Scene 2: Crunch + Noise Gate, Scene 3: More Crunch + EQ then the bottom 3 footswitches would be Delay, Reverb, OD, but they wouldn't turn on until you hit the footswitches to turn them on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If you just want to control the bypass state, could you assign the bypass of a block to a control switch. Then in the control switch section, set it to "Last".
Now add control switches to the FC and they will retain state I think ?

Have you read the manual? What did you try?

Sorry, I know it's probably annoying to read n00b questions like this. I'm still learning the eco-system, don't have an FC6/12 yet to test anything out with, so all I have to go on are words and forum posts. Yes I've read the manual, but I wasn't sure if this was something that had been added in a recent firmware or something and not been added to manual yet.

I don't know the Helix ecosystem at all, so I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly, do you mean you use EQ, a compressor and a noisegate for specific amp channels? IE- clean + Compressor, Crunch + Noise Gate, More Crunch + EQ (while leaving delay/verb bypassed until you stepped on a footswitch)?
It's pretty straight forward really. You can set any block to be ignored by your scene selection. So... you do that for a delay... then you're on scene 1.... you turn on the delay... move to scene 6.... delay stays active.... turn off the delay.... move back to scene 1.... delay doesn't activate.

It's literally saying "this blocks bypass state should never be affected by a scene" - it's really cool and allows an extra angle of flexibility.

This is a frequent wish, but not currently possible. The use case most often expressed is: use channel switching to select an amp and use scenes to independently select effects to go with that, excluding the amp block from the scene switching.

Here is one of the wish threads:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-make-a-block-scene-independent.141532/
Thanks Glenn, it's clear to me now.

So bonus question then - what are people doing when they need more than 8 scenes in a song and/or what are people doing if they don't want to use scenes at all, but do want to use multiple amps and drive pedals all being switched at once?

If you just want to control the bypass state, could you assign the bypass of a block to a control switch. Then in the control switch section, set it to "Last".
Now add control switches to the FC and they will retain state I think ?

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, you should be able to do this as @toneseeker911 says and use control switches for the effects you want to control outside of the scene changes. Their state will persist across scene changes.

So bonus question then - what are people doing when they need more than 8 scenes in a song and/or what are people doing if they don't want to use scenes at all, but do want to use multiple amps and drive pedals all being switched at once?
You can potentially use Control Switches to do some things but there are only 6.

You could also use an advanced midi controller rather than an FC and you could then control blocks without use of scenes.

Or you can have multiple presets with the same settings but different scenes. Global Blocks can help there, too.

Needing more than 8 scenes for a single song doesn't seem to be a common need.

Most that want more than 8 scenes are kitchen sink preset users like me :)

...and set the CS per Scene controls to "Last" to retain their state across Scene changes.

What I personally want is for scenes to set the initial states of all blocks -- like channel, which includes the block's settings, and bypass state, whether it's on or off. But then I want to be able to change both channel and bypass state manually with footswitches.

And once I've changed channels or bypass states within a scene, if I switch scenes and come back to one I've modified, it should still be like I left it. For example, if I tweak a scene on the fly with a special settings for the chorus of the song, I want it to still be like that when I come back to it for the next chorus. This piece already exists, enabled or not by a global setting.

However, that's where control switches get problematic. They're not remembered per scene, and can't be made to be afaik. They're very powerful, but they don't behave like I want them to in that respect.

The most righteous solution I've heard of IMO is Channel and Bypass Groups. Yes I'm a broken record, but it's a really good idea. Maybe if Cliff ever runs out of great-sounding audio ideas he'll take that and run with it. Wait. That didn't come out like I meant it to...

But I'm serious, this is a big wish of mine, it'd make the FCs much more powerful I think.

Check out Control Switches. I use one as a boost or lead tone; turns off Bright Switch, turns on Input Boost, increases Drive and Level all in the Amp block. Depending upon the preset, it is also used to increase the Delay mix and reduce the Reverb mix, turn on the Saturation Switch, activate the Drive block and increase the Level of the Cab block. All of this done with one Control Switch. The only thing they cannot do at this time is change Channels.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, you should be able to do this as @toneseeker911 says and use control switches for the effects you want to control outside of the scene changes. Their state will persist across scene changes.
Added bonus - with CS Per Scene, you can tell the Control Switches to be on, off, or 'last' (i.e., leave it where it is when switching scenes) per scene, which lets you get the benefits of Scenes presetting things along with the ability to use the CS to turn things on/off and/or tweak a bunch of settings....

Then turn Scene Revert OFF... It's exactly what that option is for.
I'm aware, that's how I run, always.

You're right that I should explore CS Per Scene more.
Even if they can't control block channels, they could cover the bypass half of I my ideal, at least 6 blocks worth.
I'm not interested in scaling switch values per scene to arrive at some desired parameter value, too tweaky even for me, but 6 bypasses is useful for sure.

However, that's where control switches get problematic. They're not remembered per scene, and can't be made to be afaik. They're very powerful, but they don't behave like I want them to in that respect.

Have a look at CSPer Scene in the Controllers area.

CS can be told to switch on or of (or stay put where they are currently) per scene....

Have a look at CSPer Scene in the Controllers area.

CS can be told to switch on or of (or stay put where they are currently) per scene....
Thinking about that, will have to try it.

How does it work when you change presets? Where do they get their initial states? As saved?

How does it work when you change presets? Where do they get their initial states? As saved?
The scene you have designated loads (either 'as saved' or a predefined 'always start on this scene') when the preset loads, and that also tells the CS how you want them set for that scene. 100% user-definable-per-scene in every preset. 😊

As far as recall, They will load in their last state if the new preset/scene has them set to 'Last'. Unless that has changed?

A workaround is to have each preset, that uses this method, load on an unused scene (#8?), that has all of the CS switches set to the preferred starting states for that preset..

As far as recall, They will load in their last state if the new preset/scene has them set to 'Last'. Unless that has changed?

True, on switching to presets that are not set up to preset the CS, the default state is 'last', i.e., stay on if on, or stay off if off.

A workaround is to have each preset, that uses this method, load on an unused scene (#8?), that has all of the CS switches set to the preferred starting states for that preset..

Not necessary. When the preset loads, the default scene loads, and when that scene loads, the CS Per Scene thingie should load up your preferred CS states....

Back
Top Bottom