Scale Length

Jipps0525

Power User
What is the difference between a les Paul scale length and a strat scale length and what effect does that have on playing?

What does it mean to have a les Paul scale length on a strat body and what is the benefit and/or downfall of that?

String tension mostly. But also tone.

A shorter scale vs. a 25.5 scale won't need the string as tight to reach the same pitch. They would be easier to bend and have a much easier action.

Longer scale lengths make better low harmonics though. It is especially obvious with drop tunings.

LP 24.5” from nut to saddle
Strat 25.5”

Shorter scale lengths need higher gauge strings respective to longer scale lengths to have similar tension.

Standard tuning 10 gauge @24.5”
Standard tuning .9 gauge @25.5

Each will have equivalent tension comparatively speaking.

LP 24.5” from nut to saddle
Strat 25.5”

Shorter scale lengths need higher gauge strings respective to longer scale lengths to have similar tension.

Standard tuning 10 gauge @24.5”
Standard tuning .9 gauge @25.5

Each will have equivalent tension comparatively speaking.
Yep tuning is important too.

I run 11s on my Strandberg in Eb or 10s in standard. It is fanned from 25" to 25.5"

9.5s on my 25.5" teles in standard.

And stock 9s on my Charvel DK24 in Standard.

What is the difference between a les Paul scale length and a strat scale length and what effect does that have on playing?

What does it mean to have a les Paul scale length on a strat body and what is the benefit and/or downfall of that?
Effect on playing? That is individual and determined by the player. You want the gibson jeff beck les paul or the fender jeff beck strat (or both?)?

Its not a les paul scale length, it’s Gibson overall. Fender makes 24” guitars - jaguars and mustangs.

Benefit of 24.75 on a strat? The first thing in my mind is better balance (the closer to classical on a strap the better imo - parallel to the floor and now you use extra energy to hold it up) and there would be a darker sound, dependent on everything in the chain.

Companies make 25.5” scale singlecuts, and fender and others have made 24.75 scale strats (isnt the HM 24.5” or something?).

I wouldnt get hung up on scale length whatsoever. Guitarists have the widest selection of individual and sets of stringd ever. Whatever works for you is out there, and experimenting to find it is half the fun.

Go try some guitars, and strings, and picks. :)

I have 24.5, 25, and 25.5. Love them all and put 9’s on everything except my slide guitar which is a short with 10’s. Short is more comfortable overall but a Strat with 9’s is nice too.

Gibson's scale length has changed a bit over the years but is typically 24 5/8" or more commonly 24 3/4" these days.

The proper way to measure the scale length is to measure from the front edge (fretboard side) of the nut to the center of the 12th fret and then double that measurement. You can't measure to the saddles because they are compensated and that position changes with the intonation of each string.

Something not mentioned is shorter scale lengths will also require a bit less finger stretch between frets for things like chord and arpeggio shapes. This can be fairly noticeable if you have smaller or less flexible hands, particularly on the low frets.

There's also the Fender Mustang and Jaguar scale length of 24" as well. I believe the Mustang was also available with a 22.5" scale length at one point too.

Gibson's scale length has changed a bit over the years but is typically 24 5/8" or more commonly 24 3/4" these days.

The proper way to measure the scale length is to measure from the front edge (fretboard side) of the nut to the center of the 12th fret and then double that measurement. You can't measure to the saddles because they are compensated and that position changes with the intonation of each string.
Indeed, an excellent correction!

I have Gibson scale, Fender scale and Warmoth Conversion neck guitars. Honestly, I don't think about the scale lenght when I play and i don't prefer one over the other.

I prefer 25.5” scale guitars because I can use light gauge strings while maintaining good amount of tension.

The real benefits of longer scale lengths really start to pay off when using drop tunings greater than a half step.

With short scale lengths you’ll need to use heavy gauge strings when tuning down a whole step or greater to maintain an appropriate amount of tension.

I prefer 25.5” scale guitars mainly because it’s what I’m accustomed to but honestly I don’t feel much difference aside from the string tension.
PRS is 25.0”.

Mostly just whatever tension you prefer. Personally, I like the "fight" of the Fender string tension, but I've never played a guitar that's bothered me in the least because of scale length. It's all good. Just cause it's an odd duck, but a monster guitar- here's my TV Jones Spectra Sonic C Melody baritone, which sports a 29.4" scale length. Plays really well, but it's a huge guitar. Sounds awesomeIMG_4492.JPG

Doesn't the amount of frets change things up also ? I have a few 24 fret guitars that play and feel alot different than a 21 fret instrument with similar scale length ..

Nope. Number of frets is independent of scale length. There's just more added on to the end of the fretboard and they'll be a little bit closer together on a shorter scale length neck. Most 24 fret necks are a bit longer because the heel is moved back closer to the bridge to accommodate a longer fretboard, but the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and position relative to the bridge is still the same.

Scale length and the number of frets can change the position of the neck pickup, too. That can change the sound, but isn't a better or worse thing, just different.

Some examples would be the PRS Custom 22 vs Custom 24 (same scale length, 2 extra frets and the neck pickup is closer to the bridge), the Jackson Dinky vs Fusion (both 24 frets, Fusion is shorter scale length and the neck and middle pickups are noticeably closer together), or just the Gibson Les Paul Custom 3-pickup (no room left for 2 more frets).

I prefer 25.5” scale guitars because I can use light gauge strings while maintaining good amount of tension.

The real benefits of longer scale lengths really start to pay off when using drop tunings greater than a half step.

With short scale lengths you’ll need to use heavy gauge strings when tuning down a whole step or greater to maintain an appropriate amount of tension.
This doesnt track because artists have used shorter scale guitars tuned very low to great effect for decades.

You say you use 25.5” to use lighter strings with good tension - except as long as you use that scale you’ll have more tension than you may actually need. Shorter scale with light strings would probably be even more benefiicial to you.

Guitarists really need to try 9-42 in E with a proper setup before writing it off as “too light”. I was one to mock it til I tried it. Hm… what does that remind me of given who owns this forum haha

Back
Top Bottom