Saw Kansas last night

Love Rich's playing. Kerry and Steve got the billing, but Rich seemed like a glue that added many different textures in the band, and cared not for any sense of accolade.

And I'm guessing he uses the 5150 Red (low gain) for 'Hold on'. I play that song, and that patch NAILS it.

Is it just Rich and Phil as original members?

Love Rich's playing. Kerry and Steve got the billing, but Rich seemed like a glue that added many different textures in the band, and cared not for any sense of accolade.

And I'm guessing he uses the 5150 Red (low gain) for 'Hold on'. I play that song, and that patch NAILS it.

Is it just Rich and Phil as original members?
When they toured here, it was just Rich and Phil.

I always had trouble getting his tone, till I experimented with pre-distortion eq. The Axe can nail it.

Saw them several times back in the '70s and '80s. They have always been one of my favorites from that era. Glad to see they (or at least some of them) are still out there performing. And I'm not surprised they were using Fractal gear.

My band opened for them in 94' and their roadie rolled a big case into my guitar and broke the neck right before we went on. I was bummed. Good thing I had a backup guitar.
I didn't know they were using Fractal, that's awesome.

What was the reaction from the roadie or the band from that accident? Did they replace your guitar?

What was the reaction from the roadie or the band from that accident? Did they replace your guitar?[/QUOTE

They didn't know and we never talked to them. It was the one and only time I used a gig bag instead of a hard case. Never again! I had it leaned up against the wall and the roadcase snapped the headstock off.

No surprise. Rich has gone the modeling route before. He was using a Johnson Millenium back in the early 2000's.

Saw them in the 90s when Rich was using the JM150. Cool amp, ahead of its time. I still have mine. Proprietary pedal control architecture was really done well. Had issues with the pedal/amp connection though after many years of gigging. If contact was lost, amp needed to be restarted to reconnect. Didn't work for me anymore with the tight sets we were doing. Wish I'd had the Axe/Fx back then!

Also saw Kansas in the 70s with founding members and at a free concert in the 80s. They always kicked it.

kansas_zps987ixjno.jpg

Last edited:
3 Fractal units on stage. 2 Ax8s and 1 AxeFx!
The violin player had an ax8, he played guitar on a couple of songs. I saw him step on it while he was playing violin but couldn't tell if it was being used for that or if he was just setting patch for guitar.

Back
Top Bottom