Saving edited presets

toneho

I have just acquired the Axe-FX and have a question about saving edited presets. Please keep in mind I have only used tube amps and pedals in the past, and am not technologically advanced. The question: Does this unit have a separate bank or user memory location for saving custom presets? Once I have edited or created a preset and hit store, and then go to location, it appears the only place to store this new preset is in the place of one of the 383 factory presets?? Is this the only choice?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Yes that is the only choice. You can always load them back later. Just pick the presets you think are aweful and overwrite them :lol: .

out of the box there are no blank preset locations nor empty banks in the axefx.
if you edit a preset and want to store it- do your editing and select save from the front panel> a menu box will appear on screen.
Scroll the wheel to any location and hit enter. Or after scrolling to the location where you will save, hit the down button and name your new preset before saving. The manual and wiki describe this process fairly well.

it will overwrite any preset in the current location....so that it is not confusing for you, you may want to select a preset you dont care for as the location to save to teh first time. as you build your knowledge from reading on this forum, you will figure out how save off files to your computer and manage the files in a way that makes sense to you.
Have fun.

Mike Snider said:
out of the box there are no blank preset locations nor empty banks in the axefx.
if you edit a preset and want to store it- do your editing and select save from the front panel> a menu box will appear on screen.
Scroll the wheel to any location and hit enter. Or after scrolling to the location where you will save, hit the down button and name your new preset before saving. The manual and wiki describe this process fairly well.

it will overwrite any preset in the current location....so that it is not confusing for you, you may want to select a preset you dont care for as the location to save to teh first time. as you build your knowledge from reading on this forum, you will figure out how save off files to your computer and manage the files in a way that makes sense to you.
Have fun.

That is only true of the Ultra. The standards have bank C open (at least the used to).

I didn't realize the Ultra didn't have an empty bank. Can I retreive the overwritten factory preset if I want or do I have to overwrite the entire bank?

mitch236 said:
I didn't realize the Ultra didn't have an empty bank. Can I retreive the overwritten factory preset if I want or do I have to overwrite the entire bank?

you can retrieve a preset.

Hi Guys,

I hope this thread isn't dead. I just got my Ultra and had assumed there would be blank spots for user patches. I guess it's really better to fill all the banks with presets though and let us decide which to keep.

:? If I understand this right I could...

a) Play through all factory presets and take notes.
b) Dump all banks to my Mac creating a backup of the current firmware presets using SysEx Librarian.
c) Sort and then reload the presets I like to the Ultra leaving lots of room for my own patches.
d) Go ape creating killer new patches using the Mac version of Axe-Edit .
e) Organize my patches and upload from the Mac to the Ultra.

Is this right :?:

Couple more novice questions. What is an "IR" and what is IR2Sysex Utility?

or, option f) create a blank bank and upload it into all three bank slots. :D

An IR is an "impulse response" which is a recording of how a speaker (in our case, usually a guitar cabinet) reacts to sound being pushed through it. In the Axe-Fx, you could think of it as a 512- or 1024-point EQ, depending on if you have the Cab block set to LoRes or HiRes.

An IR to SysEx utility is a piece of software that takes the original IR recording (in a raw .wav format) and converts it into a MIDI Sytem Exclusive message that the Axe-Fx understands. The SysEx conversion for the Axe-Fx is proprietary to the Axe-Fx -- it's not a universal utility.

So is there a tutorial or thread for first-timers about how to...

1) Erase patches I don't like
2) Reorganize the ones I do in a way that makes sense to me
3) Experiment with making or tweaking patches in the editor and hearing the results before committing to a preset slot.
4) Backing things up for quick reload in case of disaster.

I gotta get this stuff oraganizized! :lol:

Dave Hoskins said:
So is there a tutorial or thread for first-timers about how to...

1) Erase patches I don't like
- Choose a patch you don't like
- Blank out all the blocks in it (replace them with a shunt)
- Save it (you may choose to call it something obvious, like "Blank")
- Later on, you can audition all the patches, and identify the other ones you don't like, and just save that "Blank" patch over them
(but personally, I din't blank anything, just wrote down all the ones that are "useless to me" and therefore replaceable)
That's a tough one. The old Editor used to do that (but it screwed up some of my patches, so I never used it ever again). The new Editor's patch management feature is upcoming, I think. Other than that, you need to play musical chairs with patches to reorganize them (not pleasant, error-prone)
3) Experiment with making or tweaking patches in the editor and hearing the results before committing to a preset slot.
No comment on that one. The Editor is (or should be) sufficiently intuitively obvious for you to use it to experiment with patches. I don't use the Editor, I prefer to tweak from the front panel, the same way I do when I'm at rehearsal or on a stage. The nice GUI on a computer screen is cool, but until that tool is rock solid, I'm quite happy using the Axe itself for all my tweaking.
This one is documented to death (in the Wiki, or do a forum search). All you need is a midi cable, a midi interface on your PC, and a tool (the Editor *or* a Midi librarian like SendSX or MidiOx).
I gotta get this stuff oraganizized! :lol:
Good luck. I've had mine for two years, and it's more disoraganazized than ever ;-)

Dave Hoskins said:
I've just been using SysEx Librarian on the Mac for this. I download my patches I want to move, switch to the bank where I want to move the patch to. Upload. Save over top of what was there.

It's got an internal flash. You can backup the first 63 or 64 patches to flash and restore from there. That's great for in-the-field reboots. And you can use a SysEx util to dump and load entire banks. See: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... the_editor

iaresee said:
It's got an internal flash. You can backup the first 63 or 64 patches to flash and restore from there. That's great for in-the-field reboots.
Wow! It seems like that would be important to include that in the manual. Instead I just stumbled across it here. :roll:

Dave Hoskins said:
iaresee said:
It's got an internal flash. You can backup the first 63 or 64 patches to flash and restore from there. That's great for in-the-field reboots.
Wow! It seems like that would be important to include that in the manual. Instead I just stumbled across it here. :roll:
It's in my manual. There's some weird search result on the wiki that references this being a Standard-only feature because the extra flash memory isn't available on the Ultra. See:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... lash&go=Go (the first result)

But if you click through it's gone from the FAQ page and search the page for "flash" you get nothing. So presumably a firmware update gives you this ability on the Ultra.

iaresee said:
But if you click through it's gone from the FAQ page and search the page for "flash" you get nothing. So presumably a firmware update gives you this ability on the Ultra.
No, it's a Standard-only thing.
The deal is: the Standard has that extra memory because the Ultra uses that memory, in combination with it's faster processor, to do things the Standard can't.

Back
Top Bottom