Save up for AX8 or wait for Axe FX 3?

Hey guys! Sorry if this is the wrong place, I wasn't sure whether to post in the AX8 subforum or this one. Basically, I want to save up and finally get into the Axe FX, but I'm not sure which to save up for. I'm a bedroom musician, I don't gig and I don't plan to for a long time. I'd like the fully fledged, newer unit simply for future compatibility, but I understand that a new product coming out doesn't suddenly make the previous unit terrible. But the limited power and the drawbacks from that make me hesitant to go for the AX8 as I like having 2 amp/cab blocks in the VST I currently use. I'm in the UK, so there's still the EU waiting list going on for the Axe FX 3.

Also, did your Axe FX unit make you sell your tube amps and pedals? I might get rid of my Engl E530 to get this and was wondering if anyone did the same thing and didn't regret it after trying the unit.

...did your Axe FX unit make you sell your tube amps and pedals? I might get rid of my Engl E530 to get this and was wondering if anyone did the same thing and didn't regret it after trying the unit.
Many people dump their amps and pedals within a year of getting a Fractal modeler. Some people hang on to a few favorite amps or pedals. Some keep everything. There's no way for us to know which category you'll fall into.

Many people dump their amps and pedals within a year of getting a Fractal modeler. Some people hang on to a few favorite amps or pedals. Some keep everything. There's no way for us to know which category you'll fall into.

I get that, I'm just looking for people's opinions, that's all.

The ax8 is really only limited in comparison tonhe III but it’s still really feature packed overall

The ax8 did nearly anything I wanted. The iii I just got feels near limitless though, which is nice....

Given what you said about liking 2 amps in a preset it sounds like you’ll be better off with more horsepower. I’d highly recommend getting a gently used AxeFx II and wait for the III to develop a bit before deciding if you want to pay the extra grand for the screen and horsepower. I just bought an XL+ and I’m in Fractal heaven. It’s got all the CPU power I need and is a nice size and a great price.

Given what you said about liking 2 amps in a preset it sounds like you’ll be better off with more horsepower. I’d highly recommend getting a gently used AxeFx II and wait for the III to develop a bit before deciding if you want to pay the extra grand for the screen and horsepower. I just bought an XL+ and I’m in Fractal heaven. It’s got all the CPU power I need and is a nice size and a great price.

Ditto. If you don't gig, I think a used fx 2 is most suitable for your situation (of course until it's your turn to purchase fx 3. ) You will probably not lose much when you sell it later.

AX8 is limited to one amp/cab. And can’t function as a USB audio interface. It’s extremely portable and the built in foot controller is nice. But I’d recommend you get an Axe2XL+ or if you can swing it the Axe3. Way more horsepower. Axe2 foot controller, patch editor and firmware is mature and sounds great. Axe3 is more future proof.

This. You can get a II at a nice price and get used to the Fractal world.

There may come a time where you'll want the III, but the II is a fantastic unit as you'll want the horsepower for multiple amps/cabs. Start there.

I am one who abandoned all my Tube amps. I kept one around for roughly a year after I bought the 1st iteration of Fractal's stuff (and so long ago I can't remember the amp...I think an HK Triamp or that modular something or other can't remember the name)...until I looked at it and decided that the inch of dust on it was a sign. Others keep theirs depending on finances and/or inclinations.

If you're a bedroom player, this is a no-brainer.

R

Not sure what a bedroom player really means these days. If you like stuff under your feet and tapping pedals and jamming, get the AX8. If you get a II, you are going to want some MIDI controller if you want any quick control. Of course the MFC is a perfect combo with it. But now you are talking money and investing in something that isn't exactly forward compatible with the III.

My Axe-Fx II XL sat dormant for 2 years gathering dust. Just preferred the AX8 one trick pony edition. It's more powerful than people give it credit, but it does have limitations. My new rig will be an Axe FX III once we get some Foot Controllers. Then I'll be able to shove everything I use for gigging in 1-3 presets. :)

I think this is what I'll do. I don't really need the 8x8 USB feature on the new one, all I really want is the option to have more than one amp per patch so a used Axe 2 seems like it would be best. If I can't find a used one once I have the money, I'll get a new one, if they aren't discontinued by the time I can afford one.

I would take a XL+ into serious consideration. The XL+ is a rock solid device holding a perfect developed firmware. As a bedroom player you most likely do not need a midi foot controller to control the unit. And the unit is immediately available in Europe (G66) - for an acceptable price. If you have time to wait for the III to become available and money is no issue I would go for the III.
With the XL+ or the III you don't need your (tube) amp(s) anymore!

The AX8 is a great value...they can be had new for about 1000...and honestly many players, including myself, use them live and in the studio just fine...If its a budget thing, get this unit.

I would take a XL+ into serious consideration. The XL+ is a rock solid device holding a perfect developed firmware. As a bedroom player you most likely do not need a midi foot controller to control the unit. And the unit is immediately available in Europe (G66) - for an acceptable price. If you have time to wait for the III to become available and money is no issue I would go for the III.
With the XL+ or the III you don't need your (tube) amp(s) anymore!

Yeah, I'm going to get the XL+ as soon as I can, I think. Though, the III might be availabe when I can afford it. Either way, I know I'll be happy with whatever I choose.

I may just use my 1 watt tube amp as a poweramp for the Axe FX from now on though haha. Is there by any chance an HM-2 style distortion pedal on the Axe FX?

The AX8 is a great value...they can be had new for about 1000...and honestly many players, including myself, use them live and in the studio just fine...If its a budget thing, get this unit.

It's mostly a budget thing, it's the closest Axe FX product I can afford when I start saving money for one. Being a poor college student isn't fun haha.

Yeah, I'm going to get the XL+ as soon as I can, I think. Though, the III might be availabe when I can afford it. Either way, I know I'll be happy with whatever I choose.

I may just use my 1 watt tube amp as a poweramp for the Axe FX from now on though haha. Is there by any chance an HM-2 style distortion pedal on the Axe FX?
Metal Zone is...

Back
Top Bottom