Sammy Speaks out

You would think as you age you also become wiser. Not necessarily true. Can't anybody just be nice these days?

You would think as you age you also become wiser. Not necessarily true. Can't anybody just be nice these days?

+1 - Many old fart bands (VH now qualifies I guess with Ed and DLR now 60+) seem to be able to put this kind of crap behind them realizing how blessed they are to still have legions of fans coming out to their shows, and, understand that time is running short. Imagine the possibilities/opportunities that could be opened to VH without this sort of animosity:
- Alternating DLR / Sammy Era Tours.
- Dual vocalist tours which include both Sammy and DLR.
- Shows including Sammy / DLR / MA / Wolfgang which include instrument switching ...
- EVH in a G3 - that would be awesome.
and on and on ...

EVH seems to paint himself into a corner - where can VH go if DLR leaves now - not sure - maybe Gary Cherone can give it another crack. I say get Axl Rose in there! -:)

He's not alone though, other guitar gods, such as Page and Yngwie are equally unappealing individuals.

We opened for Jimmy Page on his Outrider tour and he was an absolute gentleman throughout the whole tour. Went well above and beyond to make us feel welcome. Don't know where you get that one from.............

And similarly, I once met Yngwie several years ago at a meet & greet/autograph signing at a local musical instrument store here in Oklahoma, and he went well above and beyond to make sure he came off as an arrogant prick. :mrgreen

Last edited:
And similarly, I once met Yngwie several years ago at a meet & greet/autograph signing and a local musical instrument store here in Oklahoma, and he went well above and beyond to make sure he came off as an arrogant prick. :mrgreen

Haha. Yes, I have heard a few stories myself from former band members about Yngwie to know that he can be....... er.....a bit difficult :) Just never heard anyone slag Jimmy off before. He has so much respect in the industry over here in the UK.

Now there would be a good choice - perhaps some additional selections could be worked into the VH sets as part of Michael's compensation. I'm thinkin fine tunes like "Pussywhipped", "Supersonic Sex Machine", and of course, "Weenie Ride" .

I wonder if he would even go for it? I mean the way Ed talks about band members it's a wonder he can get anybody to play with him at all :?.

Never cared for EVH as a person OR player. "Prodigy," whatev, just didn't do it for me. Anyhow...

I seem to recall a thread not too long ago about how damn near everyone here was on his nut sack for finally getting cleaned up. Then it was "oh he's an ass for what he did to MA" (which is true). Then it was "oh what a great dad for playing with his son" (eh, also kinda' true).

Now he's an ass once again for, well... once again being an ass.

I'm just sick of hearing about him at all. Can't anyone find another damn guitarist in a planet full of them to talk about?

Hagar is the man. Always was. Probably always will be... unless he ever starts coming across like EVH. Then he'll be an ass, but until then, he's the man.

Hagar is the man. Always was. Probably always will be... unless he ever starts coming across like EVH. Then he'll be an ass, but until then, he's the man.

I can't comment on Eddie as a person cuz I've never met him, but you hear things about people that are relatively consistent. I can comment on his contribution to the guitar world in revolutionizing how to approach scales, musicality, influences and overall guitar playing. I remember the first time I heard "Eruption" in my dad's warehouse, that was all I wanted to learn how to play for years. That isn't normal and people don't have experiences like that too often. When was the last time you said "man... I wanna learn that Bee Gees riff" as an example from 1978-1980. I dunno, I'm impartial to him now when he aligns his historical contribution and his diminished contributions to society in general recently versus the past.

My friend who is a local Sheriff was at a Chickenfoot concert helping out with traffic and such. Sammy Hagar came up to him and introduced himself then asked for a favor: to be handcuffed and driven around in the back of his patrol car. :lol :lol :lol

That says a lot for how cool of a guy in general he is. Personally I can see him starting a "Live from Hagar's Pad" style show like what Darryl Hall has on Paladia now. At the end of the day we're all human and are entitled how we choose to approach everyday. It is sad to see a guitar icon like EVH waste those days in solidarity and bitterness...

1. Lots of old guys on the back 9 of life aren't as well-adjusted as you think they're gonna be. More likely they're just as pissed off as when they were young.

1a. When you're a kid and you look forward to being an adult, then get to be an adult, and you're amongst other adults, you realize there was never such a thing to begin with. It's all bullshit.

2. Michael Anthony has had it better than most bassists, let's be honest, shall we?

3. Those are Van Halen songs on Van Halen albums. Sammy has about as much claim to them as I do. His "actionable position" is a potentially embarrassing fart in the wind. TBH I wasn't listening to his lyrics anyway. There was just some vocal stuff going on in between solos, riffs and fills.

4. I've said this here before re: EVH, and the same goes for him as goes for Bono, and Sting, and Susan Sarandon and all the rest of them... I don't give a rat's fuzzy ass what they have to say about anything. That's not what I came for. Play the guitar, sing your song, act in the flick. Don't expect me to be interested in your disease, or your divorce, or your social message. Like your religion and your wang, keep it to yourself. Either way, I'm not paying attention.

4. I've said this here before re: EVH, and the same goes for him as goes for Bono, and Sting, and Susan Sarandon and all the rest of them... I don't give a rat's fuzzy ass what they have to say about anything. That's not what I came for. Play the guitar, sing your song, act in the flick. Don't expect me to be interested in your disease, or your divorce, or your social message. Like your religion and your wang, keep it to yourself. Either way, I'm not paying attention.

Which is different from a forum in that we can place a face with their fake names.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like what Eddie has done for guitar and I like how he plays it, maybe that's his whole issue it's all gone to his head... IDK. When you hear him talk in interviews about gear and how he arranged parts in a song etc, it really cool to hear about it and nothing goes wrong. Why can't he just stop there ? If someone asks him about Dave or Mike or whoever he should just say that's getting too personal to answer and change the subject.

I like what Eddie has done for guitar and I like how he plays it, maybe that's his whole issue it's all gone to his head... IDK. When you hear him talk in interviews about gear and how he arranged parts in a song etc, it really cool to hear about it and nothing goes wrong. Why can't he just stop there ? If someone asks him about Dave or Mike or whoever he should just say that's getting too personal to answer and change the subject.
That's it right there. ALL these rock star dudes (from when rock star still meant something) live in a bubble of reality that doesn't match up with the rest if the world. They're all full of shit in one way or another. We all are. That's why psychology exists. It's just that for them their id is amplified and exxagerated from people kissing their ass of the last 40 years.

I'm guessing there is some truth in what Eddie said but it did make him look like a dick.

DLR is still dying his hair and trying too hard to be in his twenties.

When they were kids in the late 70's Mikey probably did need some help on bass.

But to harp on Mikey now, is a little douche bagery. Should just let it go. They make killer $$ off those records and they still kick ass. That should be good enough.

I'm guessing there is some truth in what Eddie said but it did make him look like a dick.

DLR is still dying his hair and trying too hard to be in his twenties.

When they were kids in the late 70's Mikey probably did need some help on bass.

But to harp on Mikey now, is a little douche bagery. Should just let it go. They make killer $$ off those records and they still kick ass. That should be good enough.

Agree. I'm sure Eddie had years of frustration add up dealing with Dave and I'm pretty confident that Eddie is responsible for the overwhelming majority of the music from a compositional standpoint. I think his slagging comes from his version of the truth, but it's a truth that's been addled by years of substance abuse and at this point it's only making him look lesser in the eyes of everyone. I think it's fair to say that Dave and Mike weren't equals to Eddie during the VH heyday, but they filled their roles and they were important to the band. Ed needs to shut up and play his guitar.

2. Michael Anthony has had it better than most bassists, let's be honest, shall we?

3. Those are Van Halen songs on Van Halen albums. Sammy has about as much claim to them as I do. His "actionable position" is a potentially embarrassing fart in the wind. TBH I wasn't listening to his lyrics anyway. There was just some vocal stuff going on in between solos, riffs and fills.

#2. You give credit where credit is due IF you are an upstanding person. Why would EVH need to say anything about MA at all? Because he's a d*ck that's why.

#3. Didn't Hagar write and help produce the records he sang and played on with VH? Van Halen had more success with SH, than with anyone before and after, record sales wise. Once again, you give credit where credit is due. If EVH is so great, why is that he hasn't made any real music since the SH days? Being in a band is a collaborative effort, which somehow or other EVH can't seem to reproduce on his own. Because he's a d*ck.

Back
Top Bottom