Same old SS vs Valve amp debate.....

neale dunham

Experienced
So....

Although i realize this has probably been debated ad nauseum, i thought i would put my penny in.

As the proud owner of both a Fryette Ps2 and a Matrix Gt1000 the question is... can i get the Matrix to sound like the Ps2 and by that statement i obviously dont mean EXACTLY the same but just pretty close?

As a test i set up my AXE 3 into the PS2 and then into my Zilla cab, listened to the sound and then switched the cables to the Matrix.

Whatever i seem to try, A valve amp sounds like a Valve amp and SS sounds just how a solid state amp performs. This is even more noticeable on high gain stuff.

Should i give up the ghost and just accept that i will forever need to carry a 1 tonne valve amp with me just coz i love that sound or can i get close with the Matrix?

Many folks here say that its doable. The main factor seems to be getting the cabinet impedance curve right in the virtual speaker part of the amp block. This weekend I plan to build a device that allows me to measure my cabs impedance and I’ll tweak the axe fx to match it as closely as possible. I own versions of a few of the amps in the Axe FX so I’ll see how close this gets me to the real thing with my AFIII+Matrix GT1000.

not enough detail to answer:
  • What are you running into the Amp/Cab combinations - Axfx I assume?
  • What type of speaker is in the Zilla cab? (FR?, guitar speaker?).
  • If it's Axfx and guitar speaker: Are you turning off Cab modelling?
  • With PS2 what are you doing with the power amp modelling and/or IC settings given the real tube power section is, to some extent, duplicate to the modelled one which can make a difference in tone compared to just one modelled tube power section active with Matrix (a dilemma when comparing full modelling with SS vs real tube hi headroom power amp).
  • If guitar speaker, with the Matrix, are you setting an IC curve that matches your Zilla Cab's IC?
  • With Matrix, are you setting output mode to "SS Pwr Amp + Cab"?
  • What are the noticeable differences you mention? (description, sample clips...)?

so many questions...

I’m going to just guess the volume levels for one, aren’t matched.

Louder always gives the impression of sounding better, more dynamic, etc.

If you are used to running the Axe with the Fryette, with power amp modeling ON in the Axe. You are essentially running through two layers of tube power coloration. I have a feeling many people get used to this, end up dialing in your presets with the Fryette, and then when trying a solid state poweramp. You are removing the extra layer of tube color. So it’s going to sound different.

I speak from personal experience, and a slight lack of patience in spending forever trying to make a Matrix work, but I could never get a Matrix Amp to sound - or crucially FEEL -anywhere near as good as an LXii.

You are essentially running through two layers of tube power coloration
+1 - which is why the answer to the OP's question ("Should i give up the ghost and just accept that i will forever need to carry a 1 tonne valve amp with me just coz i love that sound or can i get close with the Matrix?"), is probably yes - because it's possible that what people like is the sound of a generic real tube power section superimposed on top of a power amp model of whichever amp. The two (clean hi headrm SS vs clean hi headrm real tube power amps) will never sound/feel exactly the same in a modelling amplification context because of this chain difference imo - the pure modelling concept does not include an additional real tube power section stuck onto the end afaik. So if your ears like it, go for it - but trying to force it to be the same: "debated ad nauseam" indeed - I suspect not happening.

edit: a related question for me, as one who came close to replacing my Matrix with LxII (or Synergy 5050) a few times is: what does that added real tube power section superimposed on top of power amp modelling do to the modelling accuracy? How far does it divert Axefx from the hair splitting accuracy Fractal has achieved? And what will it do to my appreciation for the accuracy of varying models? What's the level of tradeoff? I'm sticking with Matrix and resisting real tube power sections until I understand more (which may be a long while).

Last edited:
Honestly, all of these comparisons don’t make a lot of sense from a practical perspective. The time spent trying to make power amp A sound like power amp B would be better utilized if people would just pick the amp they plan on using, then tweaking to make that amp sound good.

Back
Top Bottom