Sam Ash closing

Sad! 2 weeks out of Nam I went to Sam Ash in Hempstead or Carl Place on long Island, don't remember which one and purchased a NEW Martin D-35. First real acoustic. some weeks later I bought a Gibson SG because I thought I wanted to be Jerry Garcia (lots of drugs in those days)
What a great store with fabulous memories! EDIT: BACK THEN OF COURSE!
So hard these days to find a store where you can actually PLAY the guitar before you by it!

Last edited:
They are another music company that never bothered to upgrade their website's look and functionality. It looks like a time capsule from the late 90's. They have a huge store here in Dallas. It's neat, clean and spacious but it suffers from an average guitar selection. I rarely see anyone there, plus there are four Guitar Centers just a few miles to their north, south, east and west. I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have in the location.

Last edited:
Ordered a guitar from Sam Ash for a buddy of mine for his son for Christmas. It was shipped in its box (not double boxed) with paper bags crumbled up as packing material. It had hidden damage (tuning key set screw ripped out and large chunks of paint chipped off), in addition to their poor attempt at correcting the fret sprout (looked like someone took a belt sander to the fret ends and didn’t do any filling, sanding, or polishing).

Contacted them for a replacement and they refused to send one in time for Christmas until we filed a claim with UPS.

Good riddance.

I only have experience with the White Plains NY location. Mid to late 80's, awesome big blast room with just about every 50/100W head available. Plug into whatever you wanted. really good guitar selection. 90's, still ok but more corporate like. no more blast room. 2000's it turned into a GC. The staff made you feel as if you were an inconvenience. Mass chaos on a Saturday. 10 or more people playing different songs in different keys all at once.

Went into the Dallas TX store at noon. There were more people browsing around inside than I had ever seen in my somewhat 15 previous visits or so. Big signs on the entry doors, "Everything on Sale!" Inside next to all of the guitars, small little blue signs saying, "5% off all guitars." Same sign with FX pedals. Around the store hung various BIG signs saying, "Up to 30% off!" I didn't look too awful hard for something marked off that deep, but there was nothing obvious in the guitar department. The store didn't seem too motivated to move anything based on the recent news of closing.
5% --- pfffff.

Sad news, still remember first times in NYC and going there were better than going to Disneyland…

Went into the Dallas TX store at noon. There were more people browsing around inside than I had ever seen in my somewhat 15 previous visits or so. Big signs on the entry doors, "Everything on Sale!" Inside next to all of the guitars, small little blue signs saying, "5% off all guitars." Same sign with FX pedals. Around the store hung various BIG signs saying, "Up to 30% off!" I didn't look too awful hard for something marked off that deep, but there was nothing obvious in the guitar department. The store didn't seem too motivated to move anything based on the recent news of closing.
5% --- pfffff.
They may more more interested in selling the entire inventory or big chucks of it to other dealers. Stratosphere could buy all their guitars and part them out.

I can't say I was surprised by this, I had a feeling once Sammy passed last year that this would happen. I used to go to the Paramus store and when I was In the area White Plains as well, White Plains was a hell of a store back in the day just killer guitars in there. I will say despite living 5 min away from the Edison store I rarely went in there and when I did it was underwhelming, and it would usually just bee for a set of Starp Locks or some Strings, if they had better inventory I probably would have shopped there more.

Reactions: rog
They are another music company that never bothered to upgrade their website's look and functionality. It looks like a time capsule from the late 90's. They have a huge store here in Dallas. It's neat, clean and spacious but it suffers from an average guitar selection. I rarely see anyone, plus there are four Guitar Centers just a few miles to their north, south, east and west. I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have in the location.
Exactly. I live closer to the one on 75/Lovers Lane. That Sam Ash close by looks like an out of date warehouse from the outside.

I got some of my favorite instruments from them. They were an odd organization. Seemed to hire both the best and the worst, so everything went great if you knew who to deal with. I guess that’s always true, but a bit more in their case.

Back
Top Bottom