Saigon Kick "Afraid" - step filter effect

This is a time where I'd love to ping Matt for his input, but I know he's a busy person these days.

Maybe @VegaBaby has some suggestions? I know he shares a love of the old Zoom effects units.
that's right ;) ... and I actually have a 9002 right here but unfortunately unusable at the moment for comparison as some of its buttons got somehow damaged during my last studio move which makes operation impossible.

the effect indeed is Step Phaser based, with the Phaser just being the way Zoom does phasing (very Q resonant and almost metallic sounding). not to far off from what WC used on Come Undone. different Zoom unit though. didn't you make a Come Undone preset back in the day for the II ? sorry I can't be of more detailed help but thanks for the reminder that I need to get my 9002 fixed...

Applying @2112's tips for the wah block and this is much better. I should have clued into that Fat control yesterday but didn't. Turning that down so there's no dry and dialing back the tracking so you get the pops on the abrupt controller changes really helps get this much closer to the album track.

Clip:

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7230

Signal path is simpler:
View attachment 57901

Everything runs through the WAH > PHASER path when you're on the Intro scene. The dry line isn't in play here any more.

Wah settings are more extreme:
View attachment 57902

I played around with the EQ on the wah but didn't think it made much difference.

Switched to a 2290 delay as well for all that reverse phase stereo goodness. This sounds pretty great in stereo now with those dual AMP blocks panned hard left and right.

You got it pretty much
I think thing he has a slightly faster tempo and a few more repeats sounds like he is tempo synced to the drums but yeah that pretty
Much the sound

You got it pretty much
I think thing he has a slightly faster tempo and a few more repeats sounds like he is tempo synced to the drums but yeah that pretty
Much the sound
Thanks for the critique! It’s fun to do this stuff with a collaborative forum.

didn't you make a Come Undone preset back in the day for the II ?
Yea, but it never quite captured that metallic twinge on the phaser that the 9030 has. I don't know what Zoom does to make the phaser do that. I should buy another 9030 and just try and copy it. I wonder if you can get them sub-$100 now?

Edit: Ah. Apparently Reznor used a 9030 on Downward Spiral so now it's "classic" and everyone wants big $$$ for them. Sigh.

Yea, but it never quite captured that metallic twinge on the phaser that the 9030 has. I don't know what Zoom does to make the phaser do that. I should buy another 9030 and just try and copy it. I wonder if you can get them sub-$100 now?

Edit: Ah. Apparently Reznor used a 9030 on Downward Spiral so now it's "classic" and everyone wants big $$$ for them. Sigh.

The little 505 plastic box had that effect i remember thinking hey thats pretty unique sounding

And no Critque intended you got it way closer than
I ever would :)

Oh man, I come back today and find this version 2....I am astounded! This sounds friggin' fantastic! I can't thank you enough for this. I love the way this community comes together to help each other out. Very cool. You guys rock!

Applying @2112's tips for the wah block and this is much better. I should have clued into that Fat control yesterday but didn't. Turning that down so there's no dry and dialing back the tracking so you get the pops on the abrupt controller changes really helps get this much closer to the album track.

Clip:

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7230

Signal path is simpler:
View attachment 57901

Everything runs through the WAH > PHASER path when you're on the Intro scene. The dry line isn't in play here any more.

Wah settings are more extreme:
View attachment 57902

I played around with the EQ on the wah but didn't think it made much difference.

Switched to a 2290 delay as well for all that reverse phase stereo goodness. This sounds pretty great in stereo now with those dual AMP blocks panned hard left and right.

Nice, Ian!

I had to swap the Cab around because the preset was using user cabs that I don't have installed. The TV Mix from the Legacy bank works devilishly well. :cool:

@iaresee Hi Ian - after upgrading to the latest Cygnus firmware, I came back to this preset and the filter effect for the intro is totally gone! Were one of the effect blocks updated so that the sequencer was removed? I don't understand what happened and I can't seem to get it back (even after reloading your preset). Can you please help? Thank you!

@iaresee Hi Ian - after upgrading to the latest Cygnus firmware, I came back to this preset and the filter effect for the intro is totally gone! Were one of the effect blocks updated so that the sequencer was removed? I don't understand what happened and I can't seem to get it back (even after reloading your preset). Can you please help? Thank you!
Yes, the Sequencer got a nice update in the 16.xx release: it got a run parameter! So you can pause and even step through sequencer steps now in unique ways.

To fix the preset, edit the Sequencer in the Controllers view and set the Run parameter to Run. Like this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 4.01.51 PM.png

Yes, the Sequencer got a nice update in the 16.xx release: it got a run parameter! So you can pause and even step through sequencer steps now in unique ways.

To fix the preset, edit the Sequencer in the Controllers view and set the Run parameter to Run. Like this:

View attachment 85672
Maybe update it on Axe-Change?

Kinda weird that that's not the default, breaks every existing preset that uses the sequencer.

View attachment 85672
Still have a 9030 somewhere here; if i can be of any help let me know

Back
Top Bottom