S/pdif

sickindian

Experienced
Hi
Im finding problems with connectiong axe fx to my Alesis IO2 using s/pdif cable.

Alesis states that the cable needs to be 110 ohm and i dont really know whats the resistance on the cable ive got anyhow it doesnt work together.
My set up is 48000 / 24k so it should talk but there is no signal comin in at all (cable resistance?)...

Did anyone encountered this kind of problem?

just to get this out of the way, you have changed the Axe-Fx I/O configuration to be Digital, right?
-----------------
-edit: check that...this is what the manual says about INPUT configuration:

The first page of the I/O menu configures the primary input source. Setting the INPUT SOURCE to
ANALOG FRONT or ANALOG REAR configures the unit to slave all clocks to the internal 48 kHz
word clock. Setting to DIGITAL selects the DIGITAL input as the main input and slaves all clocks
to this bit stream.

and regarding the back panel digital I/O:

Digital I/O - The IN connector provides 24-bit / 48 kHz digital input to the Axe-Fx. When
configured to use the digital input, INPUT1 is defeated and the effects loop is not active (see I/O
Configuration). The OUT connectors provide a digital version of the audio from OUTPUT1. The
format is 24-bit / 48 kHz.

I did a nice job of confusing things here...sorry.

-----------

Also, FWIW, many users have found that they prefer the results they get by using the analog outputs for DAW recording, compared to the digital s/pdif connection. The converters in the Axe-Fx are very good. If this continues to give you trouble, you may want to experiment going the analog out route and see what you think.

Last edited:
I can use digital input as my guitar is Analog and when switching to digital i can hear digital 1001010100 in simpleelectronic hum but thanks for your effort mate ;)

yes, I understand that I provided some irrelevant information regarding the digital input settings in the I/O.

Did you try recording analog the whole way, rather than messing with the digi out? If yes, what did you think?

I use S/pdif all the time with my Alesis IO26 without any issue. I don't recall having to set anything (I think it was working right off the bat). I initially tried with just a plain old rca cable, before investing in a digital coax cable, and even with the cheap rca it worked fine.

I'd check my settings to let you know, but I don't even know what to check...

The s/pdif out on my ultra has never worked. I/O settings I see the digital in and in audio out, there is no digital out setting. What am I missing here? On occasion I will use the s/pdif outs on the 11R, G-system, etc into a pair of Roland monitors that except balanced analog or digital inputs.

s/pdif just always sends out signal. No need to be able to switch it off. So you can't. Just disconnect when you don't want it. Or don't switch it on in the thing you have it connected to.
Unlike the input where you need to tell the Axe-FX to use it or not.

With

With my M-Audio Audiophile Firewire the s/pdif works but I get this weird ringing on the notes. Need to set the interface to 48K and set the clock to external. I still have to figure out what causes the ringing, but I don't use it much anyway. When I do I use a digital coax cable. I had a bit erratic connection with ordinary (video) cable. You know. One of those three-cable wires for stereo sound and video signal.

I figured the s/pdif out would be constant so I'm sure it is not working as I have tried inputting into other sources as well. Any repair ideas?

Back
Top Bottom