S.O.S. Axe Fx Ultra hum/buzz under tones. S.O.S.

I'll start out by saying I contain more vodka than blood right now, so good luck with this post. Even off my nut though, I'm fairly thorough with my proof-reading. I'll basically summarise this post right now now with: Probably take your guitar to a tech.

Really, if you're getting any kind of crazy noise, either something is physically wrong with the Axe-FX, or with something else in your chain (i.e. wiring, pickups, crap cables, whatever). It's fairly safe to say it's not the Axe, coz you say you're getting it elsewhere too. If you want a crapload of gain in your sound, there's always the potential for a crapload of noise to come with it. So you need to make sure each part of your chain is as quiet as it can be. Better that than trying to fix it after the fact with gates 'n' whatnot.

With my band I ran way more gain than I normally would, to the point where if I play through those patches now at home they sound just ridiculous. I was the metal part of the band with a violin and a double bass, and that's the sound I ended up with for it all to work. But even with what I'd consider to be excessive gain, noise wasn't a problem. The Axe under any kind of reasonable conditions won't add ridiculous noise to your sound... but you need to feed it a good clean signal to start with. Feed it crap, and anything that boosts the signal with boost the crap with it.

The fact that you get it with the Axe, the POD, the software sims, etc... kinda narrows it down. If you've swapped everything else out and the only thing left is your guitar... it's either something about the guitar, or you're just running soooooooooooooo much gain that it's inevitably going to come with a boatload of noise. Going by your sound in the clips... you're not running wildly absurd gain levels. If it's the guitar... the very first part of your chain is producing noise you don't want, which then runs through compression, drives, EQs, amps, whatever you're using, all boosting that noise up. Sort out the source of the problem. You said yourself in that video, you're playing an old Charvel with worn out frets... maybe it's time to visit a tech to have a few things looked at.

All this said, I also noticed in the Youtube link that did work you're running your Axe into input 1 in the front of your Firepod. This is a mic/instrument input, whereas you're running a line level out of your Axe. So you should either be plugging into inputs 3 - 8 in the front, or if you're dead set on going in through input 1 I'm guessing there's a line in on the rear panel. I actually own a Firepod, I just don't remember and can't be bothered looking. But you shouldn't be running a line level into the front inputs of 1/2. It says it right there on the front panel, "Mic/Instrument".

And just finally... when you first started playing in that clip... pretty decent right hand you've got going there. :)

Just a shot in the dark here, but it almost sounds like your strings are ringing out up past the nut. Try a piece of foam to deaden them between the nut and tuners. Also is that a tremolo guitar? Could be the springs ringing out also. Worth checking it. If it's not, at least you can rule that out.

Took only a two second glance at video but if using wireless run via cable, I know my wireless picks up similar if too transmitter/receiver to close, if I move near a 2.4ghz wifi antenna or running microwave, and previous wireless system started doing that when antenna was going, and also had similar with poorly shielded cable going into/out mixers and of all sorts of gear... That's what I get for trying to skimp on cheap cables.

Sounds like you are masking it with the noise gate... If you turn off the noise gate so buzz is present start power cycling things around you to see when stops.

Power everything off that you can and bring things on one at a time if possible. Sitting on top of your castle of devices anything could be causing it. Computers and monitors are always prime candidates... Can you get yourself any distance from them to see if still exists too.

Finally if still there go nuts and power literally everything off I'm not kidding it could be a fridge, heat pump/AC, phone charger, etc...

Good luck

Just a shot in the dark here, but it almost sounds like your strings are ringing out up past the nut. Try a piece of foam to deaden them between the nut and tuners. Also is that a tremolo guitar? Could be the springs ringing out also. Worth checking it. If it's not, at least you can rule that out.

already tried a piece of foam, didn't do much

Hi, I don't think the guitar is the problem, I had it checked a couple of months ago. I have tried many guitars now with the same results. I'll try plugging it into input 3-8 but I don't think that will do much because I already tried that once. Also I remember just taking the axe fx with speakers into the kitchen to see if the problem was still there and it was. Do you think a DI could help ? Thanks for the kind words by the way ! I was just improvising some stuff.

Hi, I don't think the guitar is the problem, I had it checked a couple of months ago. I have tried many guitars now with the same results. I'll try plugging it into input 3-8 but I don't think that will do much because I already tried that once. Also I remember just taking the axe fx with speakers into the kitchen to see if the problem was still there and it was. Do you think a DI could help ? Thanks for the kind words by the way ! I was just improvising some stuff.

I noticed there was a lot of noise with my firepod also. When I turn the mixer knob to inputs (direct monitoring) and not have the Axe Fx connected there is also some noise. I also had this with my Fast Track Pro soundcard. I hope we can get to the bottom of this because after 3 frustrating years I feel I have wasted way too much time on this stuff !

Here's the video of the Firepod noise

I noticed there was a lot of noise with my firepod also. When I turn the mixer knob to inputs (direct monitoring) and not have the Axe Fx connected there is also some noise. I also had this with my Fast Track Pro soundcard. I hope we can get to the bottom of this because after 3 frustrating years I feel I have wasted way too much time on this stuff !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U3_W4uynKU&feature=youtu.be

I have the same problem with my Axe FX II XL. I think the problem is with the laptop and or USB. If I turn off Axe Edit and just use the Axe FX everything sounds great if I fire up Axe Edit or Reaper the interference comes back. Worse with my Strat than with my Les Paul. Let me know if you ended up solving the issue.

Back
Top Bottom