RUSH fans!!

Excellent!

Where'd you find the backing track? I've got the same track, but the quality is really bad. Would love to find a better one.

Without a doubt. I think his phrasing and touch are a big part of what draws me to his playing.

Wow. Thanks guys. You know, I have to be honest, the main reason I chose this song was because I could get the backing tracks. It would be ridiculously time consuming to do La Villa or Xanadu or anything else really , unless I had backing tracks. If anyone has a hook up let me know. I love trying to figure out Alex's phrasing. There is so much nuance to his style.

Here's the patch guys. I had only remnants of the original patch so I rebuilt everything in much greater detail. I think this patch is way better than what is in that recording. I set it up so that every time Alex's guitar sound changes, I have a scene set up for it. The notes are all in the Axe Change description. I hope it sounds ok for y'all. I am using the axe direct into Pro Tools FYI. Enjoy..

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Lerxst YYZ Hipower Brilliant - by Tonemeister

Great job dude!!! I'll record my own Axe Fx version using your patch. Thanks

This is my recording of YYZ I did earlier this year on the original backing track minus all guitars.
I did it in one take using my $70 JamVox for recording & all tones. I also used its auto patch change feature.
It's a great all in one solution to slowdown,loop,learn & record songs. Once I learn a tune inside out, I will then use the Axe II & Logic to record a version with better tones.......I'm sure your patch will fit the bill! Thanks again....

One thing I was surprised at when listening to the isolated guitar track was how heavily processed it is with fx. I don't recall noticing it when listening to the album. I love his tone on Moving Pictures but I wouldn't necessarily use it as my own. I'm eager to hear how this patch translates to other users.

Great job dude!!! I'll record my own Axe Fx version using your patch. Thanks

This is my recording of YYZ I did earlier this year on the original backing track minus all guitars.
I did it in one take using my $70 JamVox for recording & all tones. I also used its auto patch change feature.
It's a great all in one solution to slowdown,loop,learn & record songs. Once I learn a tune inside out, I will then use the Axe II & Logic to record a version with better tones.......I'm sure your patch will fit the bill! Thanks again....
Just be sure to adjust your input gain accordingly. It will sound most like the original if you don't over do the the gain/distortion.

Just be sure to adjust your input gain accordingly. It will sound most like the original if you don't over do the the gain/distortion.

Great job! I posted this months ago. Not a single Rush fan in the house then. :lol Alex is always an education to play. His phrasing is his.

Here is my own. I used the isolated track to tonematch by ear.
I may be the odd man out here, but while I do find the original isolated track 'effected'' I don't find it to be so deeply chorused as your patch or quite as gainy to my ear. He used a strat for the tune in the studio. I used a vintage Tele for this. I think the single coil 'bite' is important to the tone. Great stuff all the way around. Thanks for posting.

Cheers.

Great job! I posted this months ago. Not a single Rush fan in the house then. :lol Alex is always an education to play. His phrasing is his.

Here is my own. I used the isolated track to tonematch by ear.
I may be the odd man out here, but while I do find the original isolated track 'effected'' I don't find it to be so deeply chorused as your patch or quite as gainy to my ear. He used a strat for the tune in the studio. I used a vintage Tele for this. I think the single coil 'bite' is important to the tone. Great stuff all the way around. Thanks for posting.

Cheers.
He had humbuckers in the bridge. Definitely not a single coil sound on this track. I guess the mp3 data compression could have fooled me that there was more chorusing but I could really only match to the file I had. I am confident that there is chorusing but some of that could have been double tracking I suppose. My performance is one guitar , one track. The exceptions were described in the OP. I tried to listen to your version but it's not playing from my iPhone for some reason. I'll try to post an A/B of the isolated track and my track for comparison.

edit:To be specific from Permanent Waves through Grace Under Pressure he used 3 Fender strats all with Gibson PAFs or Bill Lawrence L500's. Of all my guitars the closest match was a '61 Reissue Gibson SG with Burstbucker2 pickup in the bridge position.

Last edited:
He had humbuckers in the bridge. Definitely not a single coil sound on this track. I guess the mp3 data compression could have fooled me that there was more chorusing but I could really only match to the file I had. I am confident that there is chorusing but some of that could have been double tracking I suppose. My performance is one guitar , one track. The exceptions were described in the OP. I tried to listen to your version but it's not playing from my iPhone for some reason. I'll try to post an A/B of the isolated track and my track for comparison.

I understand and I read the OP. The original track definitely has chorus and delay. Very typical Moving Pictures tone. Much less on the record than live now. Here in my studio with detailed monitors I know, it just sounds over processed as a 'tone match'. Still sounds great on its own though.

FWIW I hope you don't use your iphone for trying to understand or compare the tone! LOL! Panning my own track L/R with Alexs isolated track is very close tonally (phrasing, well that is another matter). I wonder though honestly how integral the isolated tracks are? This is one track only as well. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom