RUSH fans!!

Sounds great! There have been a number of good Limelight tones out there. How about Sprit of the Radio- that seems a lot more elusive to me. I've never been able to get close, even with a vintage electric mistress and a Loft. Something different about that flange tone.

Sounds great! There have been a number of good Limelight tones out there. How about Sprit of the Radio- that seems a lot more elusive to me. I've never been able to get close, even with a vintage electric mistress and a Loft. Something different about that flange tone.

For Spirit of Radio, Alex, bypassed his guitar cabinet. That tone is direct into the mixer from the preamp out of his head. So you might be able to achieve something very similar in the Axe II, by removing your Cabinet effect block. That is why it is so "scratchy".....

...and I would add, that the clean guitar on "SHOW DON'T TELL" is his Signature guitar with active single coils, directly into the console - no preamp or amp. pristine clean.

I was able to dial in a really decent Spirit Of Radio sound for the rhythm and lead, but that opening phaser / flange sound has been an absolute beast to try and nail down. We're doing a demo of it as well so I need to figure it out. Hopefully I'll have something worth sharing in the near future.

I was able to dial in a really decent Spirit Of Radio sound for the rhythm and lead, but that opening phaser / flange sound has been an absolute beast to try and nail down. We're doing a demo of it as well so I need to figure it out. Hopefully I'll have something worth sharing in the near future.

That would be great- I dont think Lerxst's own live sound has been like the studio tone, even back in the ESL days. Looking forward to anything you come up with!

I reworked this patch for Firmware 15. I had been working on a very good match of Limelight. None of the tonematches I've heard thus far for that have really captured Alex's tone for that track which is extremely punchy. I basically copied over my work from that into my YYZ patch. YYZ is much more heavily processed with FX as evidenced by the isolated guitar track I used for reference. Anyway here it is. You will need my Limelight L and Limelight R cabs which I had in User slots 68 and 69.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Lerxst YYZ FW15 - by Tonemeister

Cabs:
Axe-Change - Download 4x12 - LIMELIGHT L - by Tonemeister

Axechange will not allow me to load the Limelight R cab. In a pinch you could probably just use Limelight L twice.

That would be great- I dont think Lerxst's own live sound has been like the studio tone, even back in the ESL days. Looking forward to anything you come up with!
I once saw a Rush tribute in which the guitarist did a *stunningly* accurate recreation of the "Spirit of the Radio" intro tone. I am a big Rush nerd and his rendition was utterly perfect. At the end of the set I complimented the guitarist and asked how he'd done it. He sheepishly ducked the compliment and said I should ask the drummer. And that was when I learned the drummer had a laptop connected to his Roland sample pad... he was triggering the intro as a 2-bar sample taken from the CD while the guitarist faked it. To his credit, the guitarist did play that lick (technically) accurately when it came around again in the middle of the song, but they used the sample again for the outtro because the tone - like the intro - is so exposed.

I wasn't terribly disappointed to make the discovery. That's a tone that is SO ELUSIVE (sorry..) that I think Alex himself is challenged to recreate it live. It is one of the most orgasmically lush guitar sounds ever committed to tape, and it thrills me every time I hear it.

Oh, and that band pulled out "I Think I'm Going Bald" (Caress of Steel) as their third set opener. They were rewarded with a pitcher of beer from my table, in salute of them taking the train to obscure-ville.

I was working on the TM for Limelight again last night and had to stop because everything was sounding off to me. Ugh. This tone is so "elusive". Whatever I come up with, once I'm satisfied, will end up getting worked into the YYZ patch but what I've posted most recently is certainly in the ballpark.

If you didn't download from Axechange then you may not know about the scenes.
Scene 1: main riff
Scene 2: Harmonic minor melody part
Scene 3: comping chords in trading 2 section
Scene 4: solo
Scene 5: long notes held after the solo in the keyboard section

There is a multitap delay that you kick on for the last note of the return to harmonic minor melody that holds and goes into feedback. Kick it off for the very ending tritone ending. I also quickly used an ebow to make the note feedback and emulate the recording.

No idea. I'm still on FW17 ha ha. I am so nervous about jumping to anything else with the very detailed sound alike patches I made. My Adam Jones patch especially.

Back
Top Bottom