Running through a 2x12 (Orange PPC212)

Mewcenary

Hey all,

I've been using FRFR for a while at home and in rehearsal and it sounds as you would expect FRFR to sound: Like a miced up guitar cab through a PA. For home recording and live gigs where my band has had access to decent FOH, this has been perfect. My monitor = FOH and there are no surprises.

However, in rehearsals there is a noticeable 'tone issue' to my ears as the other guitarist has a traditional valve amp and cabs. So in that particular situation, his tone is nicer as it is REAL cab v recording of a cab.

I only had a cheap 1x12" Line 6 cab at home before which sounded very boxy, so I grabbed an Orange PPC212 2x12" today. This is very solid and has V30s in it. Running it with cab sims off (again through the GT1000FX) and it sounds outstanding! I'd say there is a much better sound with amps set to their default settings out the box, whereas I always had to tweak a fair bit with FRFR. I don't mind tweaking, of course, as the end result is consistency.

I will have to adjust at rehearsal volumes, but I am happy. Oh, and the cab looks AMAZING.

Anyone else using traditional cabs for similar (or different!) reasons?

Yes, I use a pair of 2x12s loaded with CL80s and V30s, driven by an Atomic Reactor 50/50 rack amp. I was previously using the GT1000FX but I felt that the valve power amp sounded more "alive" somehow, so I went back to the Atomic despite the weight.

Hey all,

I've been using FRFR for a while at home and in rehearsal and it sounds as you would expect FRFR to sound: Like a miced up guitar cab through a PA. For home recording and live gigs where my band has had access to decent FOH, this has been perfect. My monitor = FOH and there are no surprises.

However, in rehearsals there is a noticeable 'tone issue' to my ears as the other guitarist has a traditional valve amp and cabs. So in that particular situation, his tone is nicer as it is REAL cab v recording of a cab.

I only had a cheap 1x12" Line 6 cab at home before which sounded very boxy, so I grabbed an Orange PPC212 2x12" today. This is very solid and has V30s in it. Running it with cab sims off (again through the GT1000FX) and it sounds outstanding! I'd say there is a much better sound with amps set to their default settings out the box, whereas I always had to tweak a fair bit with FRFR. I don't mind tweaking, of course, as the end result is consistency.

I will have to adjust at rehearsal volumes, but I am happy. Oh, and the cab looks AMAZING.

Anyone else using traditional cabs for similar (or different!) reasons?
Similar situation... I generally use FRFR or headphones with my Axe II. I have a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab with V30s that I occasionally use (cab sims off). I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. I may permanently move to this configuration at some point, but need to settle on a power amp first. But yeah, I'm with you, the Axe's default amps DO sound better (out of the box) through a real cab.

Yes, I use a Carvin DCM1540L power amp into a Marshall 1960A cab and an open backed Fender (twin) 2x12 cab.

I picked up a vertical 2x12 from Live 440 with V30s and I run that in parallel with FBT passive wedge. I could not believe my ears how good that sounded for playing at home. I did miss a real cab. The roar and the power coming from it is intoxicating.

Yes, I use a pair of 2x12s loaded with CL80s and V30s, driven by an Atomic Reactor 50/50 rack amp. I was previously using the GT1000FX but I felt that the valve power amp sounded more "alive" somehow, so I went back to the Atomic despite the weight.
I am thinking of doing this with my 2X12 , how do you like the CL80 mixed with the V30?

I'm new to the "FRFR married to the Axe Fx" world and have been temporarily using some active Mackie Thump 15's, until I settled on an amp/cab or active cab rig. I've not had the chance to dig into the tweaking yet but have always wondered the tonal differences with a real guitar cab with real guitar cab speakers, Jensen, Eminence, or Celestion. I've got a few custom built 4x12 and 2x12 cabs that are sitting not being used since using the Axe. I even thought about installing a coaxial speaker into these cabs to see if there was a "best of both worlds" tone.

Yep, I'm primarily a real guitar cab guy, and use a Matrix GT800FX for power. I've got an Avatar Vintage OS semi-open back 2x12 with Heritage Greenbacks in it at the moment, and I have a Port City Wave OS 2x12 cab on the way that I'm going to put a pair of the English made V30s in when it gets here. As others have said, there's just something about a real guitar cab.

As others have said, there's just something about a real guitar cab.

Nobody has said anything about the laser-beam directionality of guitar cabs. Now don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the Axe through a power amp and my guitar cabs, but I played an outdoor gig a month or so ago with a THD Flexi 50 into an open-backed Matchless 2x12 - quality gear - and if I moved a foot off axis from my cab out in front of the stage it sounded thin and like utter garbage. I'm hoping the better dispersion of an FRFR cab like the CLR would help with that significantly.

and if I moved a foot off axis from my cab out in front of the stage it sounded thin and like utter garbage.

This is my worry as I also play some outdoor gigs during the summer time. For most gigs, we only pump vocals and kick through the FOH and blend in our guitar and bass amps. This is due to easy setup and tear down and no need for a sound man or a trailer full or PA equipment. We all understand that it would thoroughly increase of the musical experience for both us in the band and the crowd, but time and money are usually of the essence. Therefore, a FRFR may be the best option if not using any other method to amplify the guitar.

With those who are using real guitar cabs when you play a gig with a hefty FOH, do you mic up your guitar cabs or still go direct out of the Axe Fx? Or do you blend both signals?

Nobody has said anything about the laser-beam directionality of guitar cabs....

That's cuz most everyone knows about this phenomenon already. :)

If you like the sound of your real cabs, shoot an IR of them, and use them for FOH and your FRFR monitor if you so choose. Or, send FOH Out1 with said IR, and use Out2 with the FX Loop block in your preset to your power amp/real cab, and don't move from the "sweet spot" on stage. :) This is where the flexibility of the Axe-Fx shines!

That's cuz most everyone knows about this phenomenon already. :)

If you like the sound of your real cabs, shoot an IR of them, and use them for FOH and your FRFR monitor if you so choose. Or, send FOH Out1 with said IR, and use Out2 with the FX Loop block in your preset to your power amp/real cab, and don't move from the "sweet spot" on stage. :) This is where the flexibility of the Axe-Fx shines!

Yeah, great points. I actually have been meaning to shoot an IR of my cabs, never done anything like that before though. Hopefully the wife and newborn baby will be out of the house for an hour today and I can try! :encouragement:

Yeah, great points. I actually have been meaning to shoot an IR of my cabs, never done anything like that before though. Hopefully the wife and newborn baby will be out of the house for an hour today and I can try! :encouragement:

Yeah, if this cab works out going forward, I'll shoot an IR and use that for FOH. As I mentioned, if there is a decent PA available, I switch into FRFR mode, but the cab option is great otherwise.

I should point out that my Matrix CFR12 is also directional to a degree. While it claims an 80 degree spread or whatever, the tone _noticably changes_ if your angle to the cab changes. For example, in one rehearsal the drummer thought my tone was overly bassy... when I stepped over to his side a little he was right... the sound did change in that way. I don't think you can get away from cab placement with any type of solution!

Before I shot IRs of my cab, I'd never done anything like that either. It's really very easy to do with the Axe. Here's a great tutorial vid that Adam did:

It's especially cool, because Adam has the same Avatar cab that I do. ;)

Before I shot IRs of my cab, I'd never done anything like that either. It's really very easy to do with the Axe. Here's a great tutorial vid that Adam did:

It's especially cool, because Adam has the same Avatar cab that I do. ;)

I had a chance to give it a go, very cool. Not bad for my first attempt but I definitely have some work to do optimizing my levels. I mic'd up my 1974 Marshall 4x12 using an SM57.

I've heard Tom's IR through my Atomic CLR and it sounded very much like his cabinet that we A/B'd next to it. His IR sounded great incidentally.

I'm using a 1964 Vox 2x10 cabinet along side of my CLR. I dial it up just enough to give an 'amp in the room' effect. The results are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom