Running the AX8 Stereo vs. Mono

I usually have only run my AX8 through the left XLR out on the back when I perform live. Last night I did a larger outdoor gig and the sound tech asked me about running stereo. I believe I have the AX8 set to stereo already (shift -> utility -> I/O -> output stereo vs. LR sum or copy L to R) but when we checked the signal with a ping pong delay, I had a pretty hot mono signal. Is there a specific trick to this, or have I not done the correct setup in making sure my AX8 is run stereo vs. mono? Or is it something to do with preparation of each individual patch? Thanks in advance. I just want to be sure as I do this gig every so often, and never have this issue with other gigs, as other sound techs just opt to run from the single XLR L out.

If you have the I/O set to stereo, as you said, and something in the test preset that does an obvious stereo image, like you did with a ping pong delay (and also have the delay block settings to be hard-panned), and are running separate XLR's from R and L outputs, you've done all you can do to give FOH stereo. Are you sure FOH had each channel hard panned L and R? Do you have something at home you can test with? Like a mixer w/head phones, or a couple amps?

I think I figured out the problem. I have all my main gigging patches set up with the cab block all the way at the end of the chain, with the FX running before the cab block and an FX loop out before the cab block, because there are many times I am running a monitor/speaker on stage (for myself) as well as running through FOH. When I tried another patch that is NOT set up this way (so the FX are running AFTER the cab block), I was hearing the ping pong effect of the delay between the 2 speakers. I believe this is why that was happening. However, I won't know for sure until I try making a separate patch for the gig in my original post, and seeing if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom