Running several axe fx IIs together

Tex Axe

Experienced
Is it possible to daisy chain several axe fx II units together say 2 or 3 at same time
then go in and via midi control which amp would be on and the scenes under each amp ?

I could see using 2 or 3 systems having over 114 amps per system to use and
using aby Box to switch between systems that would be 2 or 3 mfc 101 boards to use
and controllers for each but my question is if I went to each one selected the amp I wanted on
per each patch is it possible to control all 3 to change at the same time via midi ?

I would setup 2 at least and be able to AB between those or have both on at same time
if you had 3 axe fx units you could have one for cleans one for rhythm and one for lead amps.

Each system could have identical amps or even extra amps which only did clean or rhythm or lead
on top of the 100 plus amps you might have save already in my case 114 amps.

Id duplicate the same updated current settings in 18 and put the same thing on all 3
then each system would have a different amp on at same time.
if you had 3 systems like that you would just choose a different amp per each patch #.

What im getting at is having 2 amps on at same time and a b y between say clean rhythm on same time or
not and or rhythm and lead on same time.

So if you just selected which amps to always be on per that patch all 3 could change with one button.

I dont know if this is possible but Im asking.

Its basically a triple amp setup with 3 axe fx units. I can kinda see how I could already have 2 amps on same time
with one unit just have two different amps going but id still like to have 3 or 4 Amp capability and
it might be done with only 2 axe fx units if so even better.

I want 4 different amp sounds and the possibility to have one on itself or two at same time
and then be able to switch too say rhythm and or lead on same time just to be able to
seamlessly switch between all of it.

Would one just hook midi between each mfc to be able to do one button control ?
Im wondering if midi will handle 3 or 4 of the axe fx units at the same time ?
it would seem if you had patches and scenes each mfc and you selected each one on
and saved it as then it would remember what patch was on what scene was on which efx
ect

If the answer is yes indeed this can happen with or without using ABY boxes then im going to be most pleased.
Im trying to setup a 3 or 4 amp setup maybe quad maybe 2 amps on same time only or even 1 on
1 2 3 or all 4 on or just individual or pairs of amps on same time.

Perhaps I dont need ab boxes between each axe fx at all come to think of it.

Im asking because I simply dont know and I have always wanted this and tried it with ground control and never
ever got it working.

So Im asking if it can be done with axe fx and if so how many can you daisy chain together at same time ?

I like hearing pairs of amps blended and being able to quickly switch between many choices of amps.
using different volumes on each one could set those up dynamically soft medium roaring loud for instance and
set your dynamics as well..

Thats what im after control over at least 4 amps at once and dynamic control as well at buttons push or two.

I plan on buying another axe fx next month curious about how to handle the midi aspect and if anyone else can chime in if they have done something like this daisy chaining several axe fxs together.

I am wondering how an axe fx II and the XL get along together tied via midi ?
Perhaps I can do this with 2 of them vs 3 but curious how many one can daisy chain together at same time ?

Has anybody else tried this ?

Yes. You would control each unit through a different MIDI channel.
You would need an advanced controller such as the RJM Mastermind GT.

But even a single unit gets you a long way, with 2 Amp blocks, XY, scenes etc.

Conceptually, this is very straightforward… I'm used to doing this as a keyboard player, with stacks of synthesizers. Like Yek says, the important thing is to keep the different Axe-FX units isolated to their individual channels.

First, you want to be sure that NOTHING is running in OMNI mode. Anything that is will try to respond to whatever MIDI information it sees, no matter what channel… and things will get confusing and non-functional in a hurry.

Just for an example, you would set one Axe-FX to receive on MIDI channel One, and the second Axe-FX to receive on MIDI channel Two.

Then, whatever your controller is – be it a foot controller or a DAW, or both – make sure that when you're transmitting program change information, it's not being sent via OMNI, but instead on just the appropriate channel for the individual Axe you want it to go to. As long as you keep track of that, things should go smoothly.

One possible point of confusion is that you're not really chaining two or more Axe-FX units "together" – they're not actually influencing each other. You could have the MIDI THRU from Axe One connected to MIDI IN of Axe Two, and MIDI THRU from Axe Two connected to MIDI IN of Axe Three… the MIDI info is simply being passed through in series; what you called "daisy-chaining."

You could also use a MIDI interface that had multiple outputs to send its MIDI OUTs directly to each Axe in parallel; it all amounts to the same thing, however you want to go about doing it.

Last edited:
I would think you could control multiple axes on the same channel so when bypassing one another one would come on but yes the programing would get pretty tricky. I control some transport functions(use like high tech looper for backing tracks) in my daw and control scenes in the axe on the same midi channel but I map it out on paper to keep track of what is sending and happening. so yes connect away!

I saw Dweezil had two at least and the Ipad Daw I have an I pad so I guess it could be used

I am not an expert on x y inside the axe fx yet either so Im missing alot right now.
That said I was going to purchase an xl if they would be compatible together for something like this
next month and have and axe II and one XL until I can afford 2 XL units..

I programmed 114 amps to date almost filling bank c and each update I have adjusted those im still doing that
sometimes I find a scene has changed or setting so I have to stop fix it save as and move on.

I wanted to have my favorite amps set up saved where I can then go back setup a setlist of songs
and select which amps I wanted per song.. save those in order and see how the songs play in shuffle
to find the best flow of the songs.. I liked to do that to hear how the setlist played out and someone mentioned
they would constantly change keys by going up a 4th or 5th so you are not playing 4 songs all in the key of e one after the other
He said it was a musical change and I thought that was a neat idea..

why not apply that too the set list and then hear how that plays out you might shuffle that see how that comes out
save the best setlist then go into axe edit and be able to save several set lists same tunes but in different order.

so you could change the set list every once and awhile change the order up.
That could be done easily in axe edit bye saving 3 different lists..

If you are adding tunes too the set lists and you should be then those have to be put in the flow order too
something that does not fit so well together might be saved for individual encore songs or
just placed where they do sound good together.

I thought if you had 200 songs to learn and you setup 200 patches and saved each one as you dialed each sound in
then you could do this in axe edit saving several set lists.

That would be a pretty good well to draw from for 3 or 4 sets.
I am happy to see something like this can be done..

Its taken a lifetime to see this. In my case I will be 54 years old
I indeed can play I have had switching problems and I had to chase several sounds down
and prove too myself they sounded close enough to quell that inside my own head.

Tone is subjective so for me its something that has hindered me alot
Speaking for me I wanted to sound like the recording or specific recordings that
inspired me and if I was doing a cover band type situation or several tribute bands
zeppelin hendrix or moshing up several together I want to hear the same inspiring sound.

If the sound sucks Im definately going to suck
If the sound is electric and alive then im going to play my ass off.
If I could get this switching system all figured out.

id shut up and play the guitar and when someone said oh can you
provide a clip or prove you can at least play something
I could waltz right through that and play my ass off while doing so.

I might suck but my sound should rule the galaxy.
If I could get those saved organized and at my feet where I can
knock those out one after the other and 3 or 4 full sets worth
then id be confident too go play live.

at least with my sound I make mistakes so Im trying to get my switching system
2nd nature so I could try to sing and do this at same time.

I know right God help us all..
He's going to try and sing too..

Evidently its a prerequisite to being hired around here you must be able to sing the song and play it
if you want to be able to play it at all.

Before I make a complete ass of myself Id like to have my sounds down and organized
as if thats not too late ?

is this thing on ?
:)

If I can do that and at least get it organized I will have no excuse not to shred heads around this town
I want the best sound around and I want to do it with the axe fx actually 2 or 3.

So far 114 amps are stored they are kicking almighty ass in the tone dept and several of them
inspire me to no end.

I hardly play my tube amps at all anymore I like them and all
just dont have too many places that would allow them if they were loud.

With the AXE I could do all of those sounds and at bedroom or conversation levels
volumes that are not unpleasant to listen too and wont piss club owners off
If I can get one to say hey that sounds fantastic turn it up then Ive won.

If I can walk into any club and have my security blanket which is my sound
then what on earth should I be scared or worried about ?

Other then sucking or train wrecking the band.
Eliminate the variables that suck and that just leaves me if I suck then its me.
thats why im trying to get organized so I can work on me.

The one who has to play it and make the switches on time and try to sing and play at same time

Does anyone else have this problem ?

hello my name is Tex Axe I have a problem im addicted too sound
if it is not inspirational I wont even play it..

am I spoiled alone in this feeling ?
If so Ill change my name to Omegaman

I was told learn your parts be on time know your parts so well you can play them in your sleep
if you ever get a chance to be in a band.

So before its all over with Id like very much to play live and have a band and try to make music.
I know the sounds in my head and I keep finding them in the axe fx which is still blowing my mind.

I know this because more and more I will find a sound and I can really dig in and just play without worry.

Some of those patches ive saved I could use all night and just play 3-6 amps total the entire night
So I am wanting another axe fx and the XL is going to be it.

I want to make sure I could use each I might have to move everything to xl and start using that
and eventually get 2 XLs.

It appears I might have issues using axe fx II and an xl at same time
or even AB them so im asking questions.

I still want an xl and might get it anyway for the space.
But im very pleased with II as it is and might just be slap happy with 2 of those..

kicking ideas about.

I would think you could control multiple axes on the same channel so when bypassing one another one would come on but yes the programing would get pretty tricky. I control some transport functions(use like high tech looper for backing tracks) in my daw and control scenes in the axe on the same midi channel but I map it out on paper to keep track of what is sending and happening. so yes connect away!

Interesting I was curious about that so there would be some tap dancing still at least between each mfc 101 and 10 scenes.
Curious about that and how each would change patches. Even if both patches changed at same time
that would be great but to remember patch and scene its to be on would be the cats meow.

I still have a ground control unit but never did get it working.
I could not program it and not only that nor could any tech I hired in Dallas
nor where I live..

So then I found axe fx and saw scenes..
and here I am..

I keep trying.
Id like nothing better then to go out and play and
have a great band and not have to worry about my sound
or setup taking more then 10 min including the PA.

I wanted to be able to roll my rack in and Pa rack
and set down cabs and plug in foot board and be
done in 10 min flat not only that I wanted 24 track recorder
in the rack hooked too the mixer.
Recording the entire band every night.

Id have individual bass and drums and keyboard tracks
and guitar tracks and you could put together a live recording
by choosing the favorite tracks.

I dont have Dweezils budget and im just an average joe
I do have an axe fx Ii and an Ipad though.
So perhaps I can figure the Daw thing out..

Hard to get help doing it especially since im not in a band
most think what is the point if you are not in a band yet

No the point is im trying too start the band and everything hinges around the system
ive designed including logic and the synth controller.

I am just one though I need help many here are so much smarter then I
which is great I grow that way and learn.

In turn I spread that and teach others hopefully in a fashion thats kind and does not come off as
I know it all or think I do.

Thanks to all who have answered gives me hope that my idea and dream might be that instead of a nightmare.
if I have to ABY the axe fex and not use midi cables at all Ill do that.
Then bank up each time on both mfc units what ever it takes.

If that could be done with one button and banking up and it banked both units up same time
then im going to be a happy camper.

I can then just shut up and play the Fing guitar.
Then if im hated anyway well so be it.

I expect to be hated when they realize wait a second that guy sounds better then I do
and he isnt using tube amps.

That guy just played 4 sets and sounded killer on every song and did not step on any one elses toes in the band
his range was just right all night long and they sounded like the record.

If im approached id take the time to tell anyone who approached me about it
to explain my system and why ive arrived at this idea.

Hopefully giving a positive answer that was humane.
so every answer I get here I am most grateful for it helps me
become better at what I like.

To be musical as long as I live and can be.

If you want to blend three or four amps at once, you'll have to get both your dry and dirty signals from one Axe-Fx to the next. That involves either using both I/O 1 and 2, or panning left and right and using one side for dry and one side for dirty. Conversion latency may or may not cause phasing issues when you combine the signal from both units.

On a side note, I have to admit that I didn't read the entirety of your questions. Your posts in this thread are averaging 1,000 words each, I've just got too many things on my plate to dig in that deeply. You might consider abbreviating things to get your message across; I think more people would respond.

Good question, though.

I would handle the audio like this.
Guitar to Splitter (buffered outs) to the 2 or 3 Axe units. Outputs of the Axe units to a line mixer. I have Rane SM-82 that I like. From that mixer to your PA.
Use MIDI to mute the one(s) you aren't using, change programs, etc.

I am not sure the program but I know a band that dosnt have the axe fx, but they control there processors and there stage lights in a program that they put the song list in and tap a button before every song start and it gives them click track, backing parts, changes there patches switches the stage lights and gives them music and notes on there I pads so they just play along. I am not that high tech but there surly there is some one on this forum that uses such a program.

Back
Top Bottom