Running out of output 2 into power amp

chris alia

Seems I have to run out of output 2 in the back of the AXE 3 into my power amp and it looks like it only takes female XLR cables for output 2.. What kind of cables do I need to get to plug in my power amp with? Guessing female Xlr to 1/4 mono male?? Thanks

Wow, looking at their page and documentation they don't give much detail for expected input values.

I would turn off the Fryette and set its volume to 1/2, turn on the modeler and set its OUT volume knob to 0, plug the modeler in, turn on the Fryette, let it sit for a minute so it finds its happy place, then play something on the guitar (assumedly it's plugged into the modeler) and turn the OUT volume on the modeler up slowly until it's the volume you want without distortion. Repeat playing something and adjusting the volume as necessary. If it doesn't get loud enough, increase the amp's volume a bit and continue adjusting.

By slowly adjusting the volumes you can find a nice balance between the modeler's send and the amp's receive settings.

Back when, we'd plug all sorts of stuff together, and that was the general process, start with a reasonable setting on the receiving side, and nothing on the sending side, then slowly turn things up. It's how we'd do FOH for small music festivals when mixing together multiple different PAs. :)

Oh, and we had soldering irons, a variety of different plugs and a sharp knife with a screwdriver.

You’ll need XLR female to TS male cables. You might want to set the output of your Axe-FX III for -10 dB and then set the level switches on the 2/90/2 out (to match the -10 dB setting).

1704288124328.png

Last edited:
Why can't you use Output 1?
This^^^

I responded to one of the other 2-3(?) threads on this then deleted it because OCD twitching :|

Take your preset example Moke posted. Use output 1 for your power amp and output 2 for FOH. Make sure there is a cab block on output 2. Or you could just not bother with output 2 and mic the guitar cab.

A reason to not use OUT1 to connect to a power amp: it messes with the common home setup (OUT1 > studio monitors), which is how most presets (including the stock ones) are set up.

Yep. I use:

Output 1: monitors
Output 2: dry cab
Output 3: wet cabs
(when I use tube amps) Output 4: "tube amp -> reactive load" loop

Works great! love it.

I almost gave myself a heart attack once plugging Output 1 into a power amp. I was running into the effects return of a 50 watt combo. I guess I had not properly set the output 1 level, or had mistakenly set the wrong one. Shortly thereafter my computer played some sort of notification, which happened to be using my FM9 as its audio output…

I know I can set USB audio to use a different output, but if I do that, it breaks silent headphone practice with backing tracks. As a result, I don’t ever use output 1 to go to power amps. I always thought it would be a cool feature to have the headphones configurable so that I could choose which output was sent to the headphones.

This^^^

I responded to one of the other 2-3(?) threads on this then deleted it because OCD twitching :|

Take your preset example Moke posted. Use output 1 for your power amp and output 2 for FOH. Make sure there is a cab block on output 2. Or you could just not bother with output 2 and mic the guitar cab.
wonder if someone could post a screen shot of Edit using a cab just for out2? would like to see this.

Back
Top Bottom