Running a pedal in the fx loop ?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Would running a pedal in the fx loop of the axe and putting the fx loop first in the chain be equivalent to running a pedal in front of my axe? I want to run one pedal in front and have it midi switchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Yes. You just need to set levels carefully (FXL, Output 2).

Right, it is really easy to clip a pedal or just have bad SNR if you do not set the level correctly.
Also fuzzes and wahs generally may not like buffered signals.

I remember hearing about noise issues with pedals In the fx loop. Is this an issue Or just incorrect levels being set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The input 1 impedance setting could be a help depending on the pedal(s).

I don't think that will really help (other than perhaps cutting some highs whether or not you use any pedals in the loop). The input 1 impedance setting will have no impedance effect on the pedal in the effect loop. It has to go out of output 2 which is 600 ohms, then back in at 1Mohms.

I don't think that will really help (other than perhaps cutting some highs whether or not you use any pedals in the loop). The input 1 impedance setting will have no impedance effect on the pedal in the effect loop. It has to go out of output 2 which is 600 ohms, then back in at 1Mohms.

Correct.

My point was using some pedals in front, not in the loop, might be desirable if the input 1 impedance setting helps that pedal.

I remember hearing about noise issues with pedals In the fx loop. Is this an issue Or just incorrect levels being set

Yes there is a lot noise in the Fx Loop in the Axe fx II. At least for the MK1. That's the reason why I never use it. For me it is unusable. Have read many topics about this in the past here as well. Maybe they changed it to a better Fx loop it after the MK1? For this reason I always run my pedals in front of the Axe fx. Gave up on the Fx loop all together.

Correct.

My point was using some pedals in front, not in the loop, might be desirable if the input 1 impedance setting helps that pedal.

However, generally you you will want your input impedance to be higher after pedals though, just like a most amps are.

Yes there is a lot noise in the Fx Loop in the Axe fx II. At least for the MK1. That's the reason why I never use it. For me it is unusable. Have read many topics about this in the past here as well. Maybe they changed it to a better Fx loop it after the MK1? For this reason I always run my pedals in front of the Axe fx. Gave up on the Fx loop all together.

that was corrected in later models of the mk I and offered as mod on early models. On my late model mkI and my XL they are much less hissy with low level signals and pretty much dead quiet with rack effects and effect after the amp block.

that was corrected in later models of the mk I and offered as mod on early models. On my late model mkI and my XL they are much less hissy with low level signals and pretty much dead quiet with rack effects and effect after the amp block.

ok, thanks for the info. was not sure if the Fx loop was improved after the Mk1. Never really understood why they made it that way in the first place. Always wanted to do the mod. But that means sending my Axe fx to G66. Not sure if I can miss my Axe fx that long. Also a bit afraid of sending it because something might happen to it. Now I gave up on the Fx loop all together and got used to putting all pedals in front. But it would be nice if the Fx loop was usable for me.

I just bought a an iKlip to use my iPad for lyrics.
So it got me thinking, sometimes it would be cool to trigger (by hand) some samples when I play live.
How would it sound going out the iPad headphone jack, into the fx loop?

I have a mark I from the first month of its release. Im guessing that an early model. Can the Mod be done without sending it in for service?

put the fx loop in the layout and make sure it connects to the Output block on the far right. so it can go in the very last column in its own row, or it can go anywhere else in it's own row and have shunts or other blocks after it connected to the far right Output block.

try it.

put the fx loop in the layout and make sure it connects to the Output block on the far right. so it can go in the very last column in its own row, or it can go anywhere else in it's own row and have shunts or other blocks after it connected to the far right Output block.

try it.
Forget it Chris, waaaay to complicated.

Thought there was more to it.....

I have a mark I from the first month of its release. Im guessing that an early model. Can the Mod be done without sending it in for service?

Yes that would be nice. But I don't think it is possible (?). It's a bummer that we have to send our units to make the Fx loop work and that they made it like that in the first place.
Means extra costs and the risk of damage/loss.

Back
Top Bottom