Running 2 amp blocks to avoid gaps while changing channels

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Can someone describe how to set up the 2 amp blocks to achieve gapless switching.
In my case I'll be using the Herbie amp in both amp1 and amp2.
I will be using the 4 channels in each amp to get different levels and tones.

Thank you.

Or swap block bypass states using scenes. Keep in mind that you will need to change channels when that block is NOT in use to stay seamless. If you switch to a block that is also changing channels at the same time, you'll still get a gap. If you step through the channels in a particular sequence you can get 8 different seamless changes. If you stray from that order you may still get gaps.

It's even easier nowadays, you can connect the two amps in series and bypass them.
i was thinking about this last week and was not sure if remember it right that some sort of safety feature was added to avoid blowing the speaker when amp blocks are in series and both accidentally get activated.

Is this the latest state? So without any risk can we place 2 amp blocks in series?

i was thinking about this last week and was not sure if remember it right that some sort of safety feature was added to avoid blowing the speaker when amp blocks are in series and both accidentally get activated.

Is this the latest state? So without any risk can we place 2 amp blocks in series?

You're not going to hurt anything if you activate them at the same time, there's nothing special about the amp block in this regard, it's just like any other block you'd run in series. Might not be a pleasing tone with 2 amp blocks in series but you won't damage anything. If you're really worried about damaging your speakers you could adjust the amp block level so that it's at unity gain i.e. the same volume activated/bypassed.

Last edited:
You're not going to hurt anything if you activate them at the same time, there's nothing special about the amp block in this regard, it's just like any other block you'd run in series. Might not be a pleasing tone with 2 amp blocks in series but you won't damage anything. If you're really worried about it you could adjust the amp block level so that it's at unity gain i.e. the same volume activated/bypassed.
i should not post when i am sleepy :) ridiculously i was thinking as if in real world, it would be connecting poweramp out to preamp in.

Well damn. When did that happen? Any functional difference/advantage to the old way of running in parallel?
It's been there for a few firmware versions... I think it's just "simpler". People don't have to understand about parallel and Bypass Mode...

I have setup something alike on my FM9: I can go channel up/ down with two switches per amp and a 5th switch is a control switch that changes the bypass states of amp 1 and amp 2, one gets controlled inversely. The trick to seamless switching is to change the channel on the inactivated amp block before activating it.

Here’s a video I completed just a while back showing you how to do it. Made it quickly for a user who I was talking to on Facebook. I enclosed a preset also.

Last edited:
So what I have found in my experience is, using 2 amp blocks, if I change channels, I can't avoid a gap in sound.
Sequentially going from scene 1 to 4. Amps running in parallel even if that doesn't matter.
The bypassed amp is already selected for the channel and scene change. Still produces a gap.

I was using a Mixer like the Multiplexer block, as I frequently use a pesal rather than a switch for this, but Cooper Carter suggested using a pair of VolPan blocks ahead of the amps instead, and it sounds better....

Last edited:
I was using a Mixer like the Multiplexer block, as I frequently use a pesal rather than a switch for this, but Cooper Carter suggested using a pair of VolPan blocks ahead of the amps instead, and it sounds better....
@Joe Bfstplk are you doing your method for changing channels? That is where the problem is for me. I want access to all 4 amp block channels. Thanks

@Joe Bfstplk are you doing your method for changing channels? That is where the problem is for me. I want access to all 4 amp block channels. Thanks
Generally I am switching between a "rhythm" amp and a "solo" amp. I do have a channel switch set up to choose from different levels of drive on the "solo" amp block, but that is usually set at the beginning, before commencing the song....

Generally I am switching between a "rhythm" amp and a "solo" amp. I do have a channel switch set up to choose from different levels of drive on the "solo" amp block, but that is usually set at the beginning, before commencing the song....
If using the same amp across channels in a block, a Control Switch or Scene Controller attached to the gain and volume controls could buy you a good part of what changing channels gives without actually changing the channel....

Back
Top Bottom