Run To You Solo Harmonies

PSea

Experienced
Wonder if anyone has a custom scale for the solo in Run To You?

Also, ....If I am tuned down a half step and have the capo on the 2nd fret, should I set the pitch shifter's key to F# or G for the appropriate key (or something else?).

Use the Virtual Capo 2 steps higher for the whole song .. Put block at the beginning of your chain.

There isn't a way to do this with a single scale, custom or factory. There are a few notes that are played more than one time throughout the piece. But the required harmonies are different, depending on the underlying chord at that time. All three chords are major. They don't follow a typical single 'key'.

You could technically make a single custom scale to cover two of the chord changes (Gbmaj, and Emaj) and switch Pitch block channels for a key change for the third (Dmaj). But IMHO the easiest way is a single custom major scale covering the 3rd below (or above if you want to play the lower part?) with mostly 3rds except for the main or 5th note in the scale, depending on if you are playing the higher or lower part. Set those to a 4th.

You can use that one custom scale and switch between three different Pitch block channels via scenes at each chord change, each set to the corresponding 'key'.

See how simple that is.. LOL.. It's harder to explain than it is to setup. ;)

Note.. in your specific case the 'Keys' will be a half step down.

Last edited:
thanks moke! i actually arrived at the same conclusion. for the guitar playing the harmony, the 2nd & 3rd notes are the same 2 notes the other guitar is playing but theyre the 3rd and 4th notes for that riff. so i either disengage for two notes, create another scene using a different channel in the pitch shifter or just say f it and keep the shifter engaged.

Last edited:
I agree that it would be a stretch to do it with diatonic harmonizers given that it is, in effect, changing key (down a whole step, then back up a whole step) every 2 bars. Though I may give that a try later with a modifier on the 'key'.

But aren't the harmony intervals just P4, M3, and m3? That's pretty simple to do with the chromatic harmonizer (or any other that allows modifiers to change chromatic harmony).

With ADSR, is that dependent on the tempo though - for example, if the band is slow or fast it won’t line up?
Not really because the key changes just need to happen shortly after the grace note and don't affect the pitch of the main note. The ADSR blocking unwanted learn triggers could be an issue at something like 1.5 or 2/3 speed so someone might want to adjust release time in that case. (Also see last post in thread for simpler non-ADSR method with 1 custom scale & 2 keys.)

I like the pedal approach. Takes some practice for sure, but it gives a ton of flexibility in your harmonies.

Re practice - for context, I learned the harmony, created the preset, practiced the pedal movement, and recorded the video in the 20 minutes between my posts (and at least half that was figuring out how to post the video LOL …) - so as long as someone knows how to assign modifiers it’s not rocket science (or Paganini) …

thanks moke! i actually arrived at your lvl of enlightenment and noticed that the guitar playing the harmony is only playing the first and last notes of the 4 note solo as a harmony. both guitars seem to play the exact same 2 middle notes in the 4 note riff. so i either disengage for two notes, create another scene using a different channel in the pitch shifter or just say f it and keep the shifter engaged.
Hmmm? I'm not hearing that. I hear harmonies on all four notes. Minor 3rd, major 3rd, 4th, minor 3rd. Or using a major scale, 2/4, 1/3, 5/1, 3/5

Hmmm? I'm not hearing that. I hear harmonies on all four notes. Minor 3rd, major 3rd, 4th, minor 3rd. Or using a major scale, 2/4, 1/3, 5/1, 3/5

In Bakerman’s other thread the whole thing is notated, and is consistent with what I had come up with (and which I think is also consistent with what you’re saying).

Other solution: Use the Looper. Play the first part while recording the loop. Play it back and play the harmony!

Back
Top Bottom