Ruminating on Selling Amp Collection

EvilPhish

Inspired
I've owned my Axe II XL for a bit now, been through a few gigs and sessions with it, absolutely loving the damned thing to death more and more every day. I've run the gamut from high-gain/metal to random covers to bluesy swagger-rock, post-rock and some country.

I've been TRYING to find something wrong with it, but, and I generally pride myself on being pretty damned pragmatic and sensible about things, I can't.

Using a QSC K12 as my FRFR, depending on the gig it's either behind, in front of or nowhere near me at the venue (I'm already a HUGE fan of going direct, and I have a splendid wireless IEM I've been using for some time).

Other than the first few days and less over the next couple of weeks, I haven't turned on a single one of my amps since switching over. Haven't missed them. Haven't regretted it a bit.

This is a weird feeling. I'll freely admit.

I'm a working musician, I don't have the luxury of a huge collection of cool stuff that I don't use. However, I'm not in debt, my crap is all paid for, no credit cards, etc. So it's not like 'oh God that could take care of debt'. But I've caught myself looking at my amps and wondering what point there is in keeping them around.

I KNOW some of you have been through this, and I'm curious what you decided and whether or not you felt any remorse afterwards (regardless of your decision).

Any huge pitfalls I'm not seeing in front of me, should I make the switch to 100% digital?

Hell, half of the guitarists I play with and know are ready to dump their rigs in order to pick up an Axe-FX (including the rhythm player in an original metal band I play in), so it's got me considering. I just don't want to miss some aspect of this or do something stupid.

Thoughts?

Yeah, feels odd. I'm selling most of mine and keeping on main amp and a 2x12 and 1x12 cab. Hate doing it, but I've not switched mine on in over 18 months other than for a quick blast for 10 mins. Going to pick up a nice little backup in case the Axe goes bang one night. When using valve amps, I always carried a spare head and everything else.

I wouldn't sell them all. I sold my mark V(main amp) to buy the Axe and I didn't regret it. I kept my Marshall 2553 silver jubilee, but I have to admit that I've not played it for over 6 months. And I am not selling it, although I could pay my dept when selling it. I'm selling everything else except that damn Marshall. You know, we sometimes have our treasures ;)

I've sold 20+ amps including a bunch of rare and vintage amps after going to the Axe Fx. I still have a select few tube amps left, that are either very special to me or not modeled in the Axe.
I use the Axe more than 95% of the time live and in the studio, so sometimes I consider selling the rest of the amps off, but haven't decided to do so yet.
I sincerly do not miss a single of the amps that I sold off even though there were some real gems in that collection and as you can tell use my remaining amps only once in a while.
If I had to start from scratch gear wise, I'd definitely get an Axe II XL and probably an Amplifire (when that is released and if it sounds as good as expected) as a fly rig and a back-up/alternative rig.
I probably wouldn't buy a tube amp again.

I still have my Mesa Mark IV and a 2x12 cab and truth of the matter they have been sitting down in my storage facility for over two years. I did have it out a about 5 months ago, for I was thinking of selling it to someone who was interested and wanted to make sure there were no issues.

Anyway took it to a place were I could open it up, and it was fantastic! Played it for a few hours. In the end, the deal to sell it fell apart. --And in the back of my mind I was like, no big deal. This thing is coming back home!!

Well that was 5 months ago and it never made it home, so what does that tell you?

I love the amp! But if a buyer comes along its gone. But I am not in any hurry either. (I guess I am attached to it, it's been with me since 92)

John

I sold off about 30 amps after the Axe II came out. I recently acquired the Friedman SS-100, but in reality I use the Axe Fx for everything still.

This question varies by individual and their circumstances. I've been a Fractal Axe devotee since 2007 and still have an AXE-FX-II. Fractal is a great company. However, things happen and my AFX has been back and forth across the continent a few times and I've been without it for ~ 2weeks each time. My amps have been with me much longer and never given me a problem; when they do, I can fix them my self quickly and easily. If you can't fix your own amps, you have to understand what your local repair situation is. Since you gig, you need some sort of backup; there are many options but a familiar amp, pedal etc. is hard to beat IMO when grabbing a backup that you may not use much.

Good luck in your decision. I suggest keeping primo amps (and some pedals) if finances allow.

YMMV
boogie

OP - same boat here. Gonna keep my amps. No financial incentive / need to part with them .
Lucky to have plenty of room, dedicated my whole finished basement to my " Studio"
Since getting the AXE and a simple FRFR speaker havent used amps in months , some havent been used in years. Like to have them in case I might want to fire em up , like having 4 more presets. Plus good to have around for another guitarist when we jam. Some like my old Marshall I keep for sentimental reasons - I bought that Marshall when I was a teenager ha still sounds like crap ,the Marshall models in the axe are SO much better . But ya never know - at least they look cool sitting in " The Amp Room. "

I'd keep them.. 20 years from now they will be worth a lot, and the axe will be propping open a door for someone... or used as a paper weight.

dpeterson has a good point. As wonderful as computer-based technology can be, I haven't seen it hold value like good old analog gear.
EDIT: and Luke (below) also has a good point. Gear as investment is a dicey proposition, too. But then, so is any investment with any amount of risk.
I'm not selling off amps, because I use them AND the Axe.

I'd keep them.. 20 years from now they will be worth a lot, and the axe will be propping open a door for someone... or used as a paper weight.

You'd be lucky if they keep up with inflation from their current depreciated value since purchase, you'd be much better having that money in S&P 500 index fund.

I'm a working musician, too, and I've sold off pretty much everything but my old Deluxe Reverb. I only keep that around for when I get booked with two gigs back to back and I need a super fast load in and out and I don't need anything fancier than a straight jazz tone. Other than that, it's always the AxeFX, whether it's jazz, rock, acoustic, or even electric and upright bass gigs.

You'd be lucky if they keep up with inflation from their current depreciated value since purchase, you'd be much better having that money in S&P 500 index fund.

Joe's right. Even the most expensive amps, short of celebrity-owned or 'odd' stuff like Dumble/Trainwreck, has barely kept pace with inflation.

The cleanest plexiglass Marshalls are what, $5K amps? That's about $700 back in 'when they were new' money.

I've kept the gear that I really like....and sold off the stuff that I didn't love.
Even though the Axe scratches almost every itch I have.....I know that a year from know I'd have memories of how great xyz amp sounded, and I'd be wondering if I should try and find one again.
So instead, I just keep my favorites, and when I have that "maybe a real amp/cab is better" itch, I go down the basement and play for a while and say - eh, this doesn't sound much different than my Axe. And I power it off for another year :)

Back
Top Bottom