Rough night with the XL+

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm hoping some of you can give some ideas to try. Last night at BP as soon as I plugged the AXE in it sounded like complete poop. It sounded great last practice and I literally have not even turned it on since last practice. I thought maybe the ASM-12 was on the fritz so first I played through just the PA.. It sounded okay.. I think normal. Then I turned power amp and cab modeling off and ran it through the fx return of an amp into a real cab. Sounded fine so I'm thinking it's definitely the asm. Our bass player plays through a Kemper so I had him plug into the asm... It sounded great. So now I'm at a total loss and wondering if it's all in my head. The sounds was really muddy and fizzy.. Just like a recto model I did try another cable between axe and asm as well. Anyone experienced something like this? All the individual pieces sounded fine but put them together and sounds awful. I was really happy with my sound last practice and now I'm at a complete loss!

Is it possible firmware or presets can go corrupt spontaneously? I was on Q7b. I'm wanting to install Q7 official but I'm scared to change anything until I figure this out.

Thanks, that gives me hope that I'm not losing my mind. The one thing that did not get checked in my troubleshooting is the power amp section of the models. Just maybe!

I will fire it back up and listen to it this morn, and then reinstall Q7b to compare.

Do what I do. Carry a Memory Stick/USB drive in your bag that has every program, Bank, Patch and Firmware that you need to keep your Axe Fx equipment running Tip Top. Anything happens, and boy oh boy anything can/will happen, and you 'whip it out'.

Do what I do. Carry a Memory Stick/USB drive in your bag that has every program, Bank, Patch and Firmware that you need to keep your Axe Fx equipment running Tip Top. Anything happens, and boy oh boy anything can/will happen, and you 'whip it out'.

Are there instructions somewhere covering how to recover with a USB drive if the unit craps out?

Well I hooked everything back up at home and it sounds completely normal. I fear the whole episode was in my head. I sure sounded awful though. I'm going to upgrade to Q7 and just hope for the best. Completely baffled!

I've run into this experience many times. Most of the time it's the acoustics of the room and your proximity to your cabinet/FRFR/Monitoring device. Use the global EQ and start training your ears to adjust for the room. I'm confident that your presets haven't changed. Pretty much every gig I'm constantly adjusting the Lower 4 sliders in the global EQ to add or cut low end out of my sound.

If your cab is on the floor, or on a riser, or on a hollow stage, etc. All these factors will change your sound. Put that global EQ to good use and remember to zero it out at home.

Are there instructions somewhere covering how to recover with a USB drive if the unit craps out?
Most everyone I know that gigs with the Axe Fx carries an interface for it. In fact most use a stand with a Pad at the mic or a laptop at the rig. Makes major changes / fixes quick as hell during breaks or any down time.

I've run into this experience many times. Most of the time it's the acoustics of the room and your proximity to your cabinet/FRFR/Monitoring device. Use the global EQ and start training your ears to adjust for the room. I'm confident that your presets haven't changed. Pretty much every gig I'm constantly adjusting the Lower 4 sliders in the global EQ to add or cut low end out of my sound.

If your cab is on the floor, or on a riser, or on a hollow stage, etc. All these factors will change your sound. Put that global EQ to good use and remember to zero it out at home.

YES AND MORE YES TO THIS !
Oddly id adjusted mine recently and really brought the amp and sound to life and
essentially I look at it like finding the sweetspot on each string of the guitar...

I noted hmmm my guitar sounded a bit muddy or lack luster in E A D strings so
I played low E Open and F fretted at first fret lowest fretted note...
adjusted the slider till I got the umpf I wanted and moved up the neck and adjusted middle slider and then up into upper register and adjusted treble adjusting tone pot wide open and adjusting that global treble too that and so I have enough treble from guitar if I want more its there.

Oh Im using an AT 100 ibanez with paf in bridge and rails in middle and neck slot....
so I felt my neck and middle pup were muddy so I got into GEQ and adjusted there and adjusted pickup height
and even tilted higher where needed to get full balance of pickup.. EG if im banging a chord and want GBE strings to bite or DGBE
overall the entire guitar needed to be brighter so by doing another adjustment overall of my GEQ and then levels I really got a great overall sound and I was able to lower from 130-140 db too 93-98 overall bringing those LEVELS in drive block DOwn till it was not so damn LOUD IN HERE..

lol I have PA in living room I use desktop 4328s to mix off Desk and I use Eon 15 Pa speakers for my main Axe rig only
I plug axe into mixer channel 1 and 3 and pan hard left right and set my faders rather low and input on axe is maybe 10 pm on volume
maybe 11 if pushing if noon there id not get faders past 1/4 way to UNITY GAIN. No need to push it that hard just lower faders and set at about 10 pm volume wise on front of axe and set vocals about an inch under UNITY GAIN.

I can sing right over my loudest leads then or chunk out rhythms and still sing clearly over guitar volume
thats a big plus for practicing at home for singing and if I need just lower MAINS.
If the club owner said oh turn that down I lower mains and everything lowers correctly if the crowd says no turn it up
then the crowd says it but essentially you find where the club owner wants to tolerate it and you could make note of that using Db meter
and know ok when band is at full volume running on all cylinders we are at 138 if you know that and or its 150 then you could
bring everyone down to 100 or 105 maybe and adjust to that make 115 loudest or 110 tops then play at 93-98 or below that..

Then club owner cant gripe as he would be standing there and saying it sounds great.. and if you said we are at 98 db right there mostly
and that gets a thumbs up then your likely to be asked back..

A great overall mix does not have to be that loud but if someone wants it turned down they want it down
Back too the GEQ I got the middle and treble I wanted and then realized IM TOO LOUD ITS CATTLE HERDING LOUD
BUT I WAS CUTTING THROUGH THE MIX CLEARER SO lowered the levels and got my Db back down too 93-98 levels..

If I want that hot 98 or so might put Treble tone pot on 7 or 8
if I need to cut that 4 really cut it drop volume and below 4 on tone pot on bridge pup.
On neck I adjusted the GEQ to be bright so it sounds more strat like with those rail pups thats exactly what
was needed as my amp sound was sounding kinda dark with my pickups..

So thats exactly how you fix that also you might adjust mix on amp and cab and then all efx and note
oh I need more treble or its dark or muddy again in neck pup and you adjust that overall in GEQ.

I just was messing with this tonight and it made a GIANT difference also I used 3 band vs 8 and kinda adjusted too F note on e string then moved up where none of my notes were muddy sounding in those ranges sweetened them up and then capped off the highest note id get. So the Treble starts cutting at 3.5 or 4 and really bites at 7-8.

The rest of amp cab and all efx mixed in is set already..

This is very helpful in fine tuning every note you want and it might save you from buying a new set of pickups
matter of fact you mess with GEQ you will find a new set of pickups in your guitar right now like someone snuck in
and changed them out while you were not looking.. adjust the faders too the sweet spots on each string 6 5 4 3 2 1
and then every note rings and sings and is sweet in all the ranges...

Things become more vocal sounding also its very important as if your matching your vocals up and adjusting levels
suddenly things blend great and your more comfortable or confident of levels and peaks where it wont be too shrill on the ears
cause you simply dont allow those through GEQ.

Do behave...

Back
Top Bottom