Rough guess as to when Fractal stops updating the II?

Steinmetzify

Inspired
Really wanted to order an XL+ this week, but the funds aren't there with some other expenses I have at the moment. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to when they might stop updates on this model? Looking at buying a used II but don't want to do that if it's going to be stuck in 6 months or something...not that the current FW doesn't sound absolutely badass; I'm just wondering about support down the line.

Thanks!

FW 18 reduced the CPU usage for amp models right? Cliff also said that the AX8 will have a less powerful chipset and will run the same modeling as the AxeII. Given this, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. You may find that you can run less instances of effects with the II than the XL+, but from everything that has been said so far my guess is that the day he no longer supports the II is the day he no longer supports the XL or XL+.

Have no fear. The II, XL and XL+ have the same "engine" under the hood. There's just more space for presets and cabs in the XL and XL+ and some minor other improvements that have virtually no bearing on the sound.

I bet another 2 years before the Axe III will be to market, that doesn't includes the waiting list which normally is 6 to 11 months long at first so 2 years IMHO. Just a guess:)

Last edited:
I honestly dont see where he could go at the moment. There are no faster DSPs available without ridiculous prices, and adding a 3rd DSP would increase the price by $500 if not more, and I dont see that being a good business decision either.

The Standard/Ultra got outdated because they could no longer run the algorithms. People hit a wall on what they could do with the unit. I dont see us being near that wall with the Axe II currently. Hitting a limit requires so many high level settings that most people dont even come close.

Amp models are run on a dedicated CPU, separate from effects, so the amp modelling processor load does not affect what we can or cannot put into a patch.

Yep. I know that but my point is that instead of increasing the required CPU power to run amp models, which could potentially shorten the lifecycle of the II, it has been decreased, IIRC.

The XL+ is bound by the same CPU processing limits as the II.

Terry.

Duh, brain lock on my part. Thanks for the clarification.

This type of thread pops up every now and again. People just get nervous about purchasing a product that's been out for a little while because technology moves at such a quick rate in modern times.

They are justifiably concerned that they'll spend $2,400 and end up having a piece of gear that might be surpassed by a "better" technology in the near future. For example, some people were pretty bummed when they bought an Axe-fx Ultra, and a month later the Axe-fx II came out.

While I agree that it sounds GREAT now. I'm hit by CPU limits more than I would have expected. And there is mute that can be improved....looping time fire one. And all of the higher-res, higher quality improvements are making for areas of enhancement. $500 seems reasonable for no CPU issues our improved looper length.

sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Reactions: EJB
There was one thing I saw Cliff say that was a final piece of the puzzle but it could not be done with the current processors and speed .It was modelling the constant changing impedance interaction between a power amp an a cab or something to that effect don't quote me .But that was also said at about Firmware 5 .It is highly possible that G3 has addressed some of this and thats why it's been a year in the making

I honestly dont see where he could go at the moment. There are no faster DSPs available without ridiculous prices, and adding a 3rd DSP would increase the price by $500 if not more, and I dont see that being a good business decision either.

And I believe it's been said a 3rd processor would increase latency.

FWIW, I had the same concerns before joining the cool kids' club. No one wants to pay good money for something that will eventually be obsolete when it comes to anything tech. The thing I came to realize is that even if support/updates ended today, the Axe would still sound as awesome as it does now for as long as I have it.
OP, to your question, if the funds aren't there then it sounds to me like you've answered your own question. IMO, you aren't sacrificing much going II instead of XL... closest comparison I can think of is buying a car, or the same car with a bigger trunk and a few small feature upgrades. Power under the hood is the same either way.

Nice guys...for whatever reason, I didn't think the II and the XL were pretty much the same thing with the XL just having more memory. You have allayed my fears and for that I say: thanks.

If I could upgrade to have another DSP that would increase the CPU overhead even 25% for $500, I would not even hesitate.

On the same token, I think if Cliff designed another version of the axe fx that gave us more CPU overhead, even if it cost 500 more, most people would buy that over the others.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom